Daily Current Affairs 2 June 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
New Liberation War Gallery inaugurated at Indian Cultural Centre in Dhaka
A new 1971 Liberation War Gallery was inaugurated at the Indian Cultural Centre of the High Commission of India in Dhaka. Home Minister of Bangladesh Asaduzzaman Khan was the Chief Guest on the occasion.
- High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh Pranay Verma joined the Home Minister in the inauguration of the Liberation War Gallery which contains some rare photographs of the 1971 Liberation War which culminated in the liberation of then East Pakistan and its emergence as the newest nation of the South Asian region.
BRICS foreign ministers’ meeting starts in Cape Town
External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar joined fellow foreign ministers from the emerging economies of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) in Cape Town where local currency trading is among the topics likely to dominate discussions.
- South Africa, which currently chairs the bloc, is hosting the BRICS foreign ministers’ meeting in Cape Town from 1-2 June.
- The meeting will pave the way for the 15th BRICS summit later in August, which is expected to see the participation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Chinese President Xi Jinping and other heads of state.
In a first, University of Edinburgh launches Hindi course
The University of Edinburgh and the Indian consulate in the UK have collaborated to create the first open access course in Hindi language.
- This program named Climate Solutions was created with the help of translators and developed in conjunction with the Edinburgh Climate Change Institute and the government of India.
- The course is designed and delivered by award-winning climate change experts, including Executive Director of the Edinburgh Climate Change Institute (ECCI), Professor Dave Reay.
BANKING & FINANCE
UPI records 9 billion transactions in May worth Rs 14.3 trillion
Unified Payment Interface (UPI) transactions in India soared to unprecedented levels in May 2023, with a total transaction value of Rs 14.3 trillion and a volume of 9.41 billion.
- This represents a 2% increase in value and a 6% increase in volume compared to the previous month of April.
- The numbers are a significant uptick from April when the platform recorded 8.89 billion transactions worth Rs 14.07 trillion.
- Data released by the NPCI showed that approximately Rs 3.96 trillion worth of transactions took place in the final 10 days of May.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Microsoft joins Indian govt to train 6K students, 200 educators in cybersecurity skills
Microsoft has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Directorate General of Training (DGT) under the Ministry of Skills Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) to train 6,000 students and 200 educators in digital and cyber-security skills in the country.
- As part of this collaboration with, Microsoft will offer a wide range of courses, including training in AI, cloud computing, web development and cybersecurity skills for students and 200 faculty members at government-led Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and National Skills Training Institutions (NSTIs).
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Government proposes to sell 3% stake in Coal India
The Indian government is proposing to sell up to a 3% stake in state-owned miner Coal India Ltd at a floor price of 225 rupees per share, it said in a notice.
- The Offer for Sale (OFS) will be open for retail and non-retail investors on June 1 and 2.
- The proposal is to offload 9.24 crore shares amounting to a stake of 1.5 per cent in the coal producer. Besides, there will be a green shoe option for selling an equal amount of stake in case of over subscription, according to a regulatory filing.
India beat Pakistan to become Hockey Junior Asia Cup Champions
India overtook Pakistan in winning the most titles at the Men’s Junior Asia Cup. The Indian hockey team eked out a close 2-1 win over arch-rivals Pakistan in the final of the Men’s Junior Asia Cup 2023 in Salalah, Oman to successfully defend its title.
- This was India’s fourth title having been crowned champions on three previous occasions in 2004, 2008 and 2015. Meanwhile, Pakistan has won the tournament in 1987, 1992 and 1996.
Shalini, first female NCC cadet to complete advance mountaineering course in Uttarakhand
Shalini Singh, a 20-year-old NCC cadet from Lucknow, has become the first female cadet in India to complete the advanced mountaineering course. She scaled a 15,400-foot peak in the Dring Valley in Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand as part of the course.
- The Senior Wing NCC cadet, Shalini Singh, was enrolled in the 67 UP Battalion. She began the month-long mountaineering course on April 26. Before that, she had to complete her mandatory basic mountaineering course in 2022 at Pahalgam, Jammu, and Kashmir, reported HT. Shalini is pursuing her graduation from Bappa Shri Narayan Vocational PG College
TCS, Reliance, Jio top best Indian brands 2023 ranking
With a brand value of Rs 1.09 lakh crore, TCS topped the 2023 list, followed by Reliance Industries, led by billionaire Mukesh Ambani, with a brand value of Rs 65,320 crore. Reliance Industries’ telecom and digital unit, Jio, follows next, positioned at number 5, with a brand value of Rs 49,027 crore.
- IT company Infosys with a brand value of ₹53,323 crore and HDFC with ₹50,291 crore occupied the third and fourth positions respectively on the list.
- Other brands in the top 10 include Airtel, Life Insurance Corporation (LIC), Mahindra, State Bank of India and ICICI, the brand consultancy added.