Daily Current Affairs 2 May 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Assam Govt signs two MOUs with Bhutan & Nagaland for procurement of oxygen
Assam Government has signed two MOUs in Guwahati with Bhutan and Nagaland for procurement of oxygen.
- A new oxygen plant is being set up in Bhutan.
- Assam government has also come to know of an oxygen plant in Dimapur in Nagaland and both the states have signed a Memorandum of Understanding.
French firm Alstom delivers 100th electric locomotive to Indian Railways
Alstom has successfully manufactured and delivered the 100th electric locomotive to the Indian Railways, the French multinational rolling stock manufacturer said.
- Built in one of the country’s largest integrated greenfield manufacturing facilities, these are the most powerful made-in-India electric locomotives.
- As part of the largest foreign direct investment (FDI) project of the railways, the Ministry of Railways and Alstom signed a contract worth 350 crore euros (Rs 25,000 crore) in 2015 and created a joint venture.
- The contract allowed for the manufacture of 800 double-section, 12,000-horsepower electric locomotives for freight service and associated maintenance for a period of 11 years.
BANKING & FINANCE
Gemini Partners with Mastercard to Launch New Crypto Rewards Credit Card this Summer
Gemini, a cryptocurrency platform, announced details of its first-of-a-kind cryptocurrency rewards credit card, including a partnership with Mastercard and WebBank, a leader in digital lending and the bank issuing the credit card.
- The scheme will allow clients to earn up to 3% in cryptocurrencies depending on their purchase.For instance, cardholders will earn up to 3% back for dining and 2% back for groceries.
- The rewards will be automatically deposited in the cardholder’s Gemini account in real time.
SIDBI launches SHWAS and AROG schemes for COVID preparedness
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), has launched SHWAS (SIDBI assistance to Healthcare sector in War Against Second wave of COVID19) and AROG (SIDBI Assistance to MSMEs for Recovery & Organic Growth during COVID-19 pandemic), two new quick credit delivery schemes.
- The schemes are devised under the guidance from the Government of India (GoI) which facilitates funding for production and services related to the supply of oxygen cylinders, oxygen concentrators, oximeters and essential drugs.
- SIDBI is launching these new initiatives to help MSMEs quickly augment their facilities which help the nation in augmenting capabilities to fight the pandemic.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Anand Mahindra launches ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ project
The chairman of Mahindra automobiles, Anand Mahindra launched the ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ initiative to facilitate the transportation of this crucial medical aid amid the surging coronavirus cases in the country.
- The purpose of this initiative is speedy shipment of oxygen from production plants to medical institutions, homes and anywhere it is required to save lives.
- Oxygen on Wheels will employ trucks in local shuttle directions to link oxygen producers with hospitals, homes and medical institutions.
Mahesh Balasubramanian appointed Managing Director of Kotak Life Insurance; Suresh Agarwal elevated to MD & CEO of Kotak General Insurance
Kotak Mahindra Group (Kotak) announced two key appointments for their Insurance businesses. Effective 1st May 2021, Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company Limited (Kotak Life) will be headed by Mahesh Balasubramanian as Managing Director (MD) while Kotak General Insurance Company Limited (Kotak GI) will be led by Suresh Agarwal as MD & CEO.
- These moves come as G Murlidhar completes a 10-year term as the Managing Director of Kotak Life and superannuates on 30th April 2021.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
New book ‘Akhtari: The Life and Music of Begum Akhtar’ released
Publishers HarperCollins and Vani Prakashan released a book on singing star Akhtaribai Faizabadi a.k.a Begum Akhtar.
- Titled “Akhtari: The Life and Music of Begum Akhtar”, it will be released in two languages – Hindi and English.
- The book outlines the life of the legendary singer through essays, interviews, and conversations she shared with her closest friends including Bismillah Khan, Lata Mangeshkar, and Shubha Mudgal.
Senior TV journalist Rohit Sardana passes away
Television journalist Rohit Sardana passed away due to a heart attack, days after testing positive for coronaviru, according to reports. He was 41.
- Sardana was an anchor on the Aaj Tak news channel show ‘Dangal’ and had been associated with Zee News earlier. He used to host the show ‘Taal Thok De’ on Zee News.
- He was awarded the Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Puraskar in 2018.
Actor Bikramjeet Kanwarpal passes away
Actor Bikramjeet Kanwarpal, who has been a part of many popular films, TV shows and web series, passed away due to Covid-19 complications. He was 52.
- Bikramjeet Kanwarpal made his acting debut in 2003 after retiring from the Indian Army. He starred in films like Page 3, Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year, Aarakshan, Murder 2, 2 States and The Ghazi Attack among others.
- On television, he played prominent roles in shows like Diya Aur Baati Hum, Yeh Hai Chahatein, Dil Hi Toh Hai and Anil Kapoor’s 24.
Sitar maestro Pandit Devabrata Chaudhuri passes away
Sitar Maestro Pandit Devabrata Chaudhuri, who was widely known as Debu Chaudhuri passed away in Delhi due to COVID-19 complications. He was 85.
- The Legend of Sitar belonged to the Senia or Gharana style of music. He had been awarded the Padma Bhushan and the Padma Shri.
- He was also a teacher and writer and had penned six books and composed many new ragas.
World Tuna Day
World Tuna Day is observed on 2nd May every year to draw attention to the importance of conservation management and sustainable fishing.
- Its aim was to spotlight the importance of conservation management and make sure that a system is required in place to prevent tuna stocks from crashing.
World Laughter Day
World Laughter Day is celebrated every year on the first Sunday of May to raise awareness about laughter and its many healing benefits. This year the day falls on May 02, 2021.
- The celebration of World Laughter Day is a positive manifestation of world peace and is intended to build up a global consciousness of brotherhood and friendship through laughter.