Daily Current Affairs 20 & 21 August for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Government clears Rs 20000 cr deal to build five warships
The central government has given the green light to a Rs 20,000 crore project aimed at bolstering India’s naval capabilities. In line with its commitment to promoting indigenous manufacturing in the defense sector, the central government sanctioned the construction of five fleet support vessels tailored for the Indian Navy.
- This momentous project, cleared at the topmost levels, entails the manufacture of five advanced ships with an estimated total value of approximately Rs 20,000 crore. The Hindustan Shipyards Limited has been entrusted with the responsibility to craft these vessels, sources added.
- These vessels will assume a critical role in fortifying the Navy’s prowess, catering to diverse fleets by furnishing them with essential provisions including food, fuel, and ammunition during their deployment in high seas.
Maharashtra Government launches Bhagwan Birsa Munda Jodaraste Scheme to connect tribal villages with main roads
The Maharashtra government has taken a significant step towards enhancing connectivity and improving the lives of tribal communities in the state.
- The Bhagwan Birsa Munda Jodaraste Scheme aims to link all tribal villages in 17 districts of Maharashtra with main roads, effectively addressing the challenges faced by these communities in accessing essential services.
- The project, estimated at a cost of Rs 5,000 crore, will involve the construction of approximately 6,838 kilometers of roads.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB Approves USD 40.5 Million Loan to Enhance Childhood Development and Maternal Mental Health in Meghalaya
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 40.5 million loan for integrated early childhood development and maternal mental health in the northeastern state of Meghalaya, the multilateral bank said. The Meghalaya government is contributing USD 15.27 million to the project.
- The project is expected to strengthen home-based childcare (children 0–1.5 years) and center-based childcare (1.5–6 years) through daycare (Anganwadi) centers in Meghalaya.
- The project aims to improve access to nurturing care, including a component of maternal mental health care and group-based parenting programs to enable the inclusion of fathers in caregiving.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Crisil forecasts 6% GDP growth for India in FY24
Crisil, a prominent rating agency, anticipates India’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth to reach 6% in the fiscal year 2024. This projection is lower than the 7% estimated by the National Statistical Organisation (NSO) for the fiscal year 2023.
- Crisil offers an optimistic medium-term outlook for the Indian economy. The agency foresees the economy maintaining an average growth rate of 6.8% over the next five fiscal years. This projection is driven by factors such as increased capital investment and productivity enhancements.
AICTE and Jio Institute FDP on Artificial Intelligence & Data Science
In a recent move, the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has partnered with Jio Institute to launch an innovative faculty development programme centered around Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Data Science.
- This strategic partnership aims to equip academic leaders and faculty members with advanced insights into these cutting-edge technologies. Jio institute, renowned for its pioneering AI and Data Science initiatives, will take on the role of the host institution for this immersive five-day residential faculty development programme.
Sri Lanka all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga retires from Test Cricket
Sri Lankan all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga announced his retirement from Test cricket as he seeks to prolong his career in limited-over format of the game.
- The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) said it has accepted the decision of the 26-year-old Hasaranga.
- From 48 ODIs, Hasaranga grabbed 67 wickets and made 832 runs with four fifties. Hasaranga has 91 wickets from 58 T20Is and amassed 533 runs with a fifty.
India secures Second Rank at 16th IOAA in Chorzów, Poland
With Four Gold and One Silver Medals, India has secured Second Rank at the 16th International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics (IOAA) in Chorzów, Poland held from the 10 to the 20 of August 2023. The United Kingdom clinched the lead with five Golds.
- A total of 236 students from 50 nations participated at the Olympiad, collectively earning 27 gold, 41 silver, and 50 bronze medals across all categories.
- Rajdeep Mishra from Kota, Rajasthan, Koduru Tejeswar from Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh, Md. Sahil Akhtar from Kolkata, West Bengal, Akarsh Raj Sahay from Nagpur, Maharashtra were awarded Gold medals while Sainavaneet Mukund from Bangalore, Karnataka was awarded a silver medal. The team was led by Prof. Surhud More from IUCAA, Pune, and Pritesh Ranadive from HBCSE-TIFR, Mumbai.
ICC unveils mascots for upcoming ODI World Cup at an event in Gurugram
The International Cricket Council (ICC) unveiled the mascots for the upcoming ODI World Cup at an event in Gurugram.
- According to the ICC, the unnamed male and female mascots represent distinct traits that stand as symbols of both gender equality and diversity.
- The perpetual characters signify cricket’s universal appeal beyond cultures and boundaries with the mascots standing as beacons of unity and passion.
BPCL announces Rahul Dravid as Brand Ambassador
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (BPCL) has announced cricketer Rahul Dravid as its new brand ambassador.
- Mr. Dravid will endorse BPCL’s Pure for Sure initiative and range of MAK lubricants.His association with BPCL will only serve to emphasise our promise of quality and dependability to consumers across the country.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Russia’s ambitions Luna-25 Mission ends in failure
Russia’s ambitious lunar mission, the Luna-25, has ended in failure as the spacecraft spun out of control and ultimately crashed into the surface of the Moon.
- This marks a disappointing end to Russia’s first moon mission in nearly half a century, as the country’s state space corporation, Roskosmos, announced the tragic incident.
- The Luna-25 spacecraft encountered a catastrophic failure shortly after a critical maneuver as it was being positioned into its pre-landing orbit.