Daily Current Affairs 20 April 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
MGNREGA: Rajasthan tops in persondays generation for 4th year in a row
For the fourth year in a row, Rajasthan topped the country in terms of persondays generation under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme. In 2022-23, Rajasthan generated 35.61 crore persondays at a total cost of Rs 10,175 crore under the scheme.
- Rajasthan is followed by Tamil Nadu (33.45 crore), Uttar Pradesh (31.18 crore), Andhra Pradesh (23.96 crore) and Bihar (23.69 crore) in terms of persondays generation, according to MGNREGA MIS report.
- Rajasthan stood third in the country in terms of number of households completing 100 days of work. As many as 4,47,558 families completed 100 days of work under MGNREGA. Uttar Pradesh topped the country with 4,99,947 families completing 100 days of work, followed by Kerala with 4,48,913 families.
Cabinet approves National Quantum Mission to scale-up scientific & industrial R&D for quantum technologies
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, approved the National Quantum Mission (NQM) at a total cost of Rs.6003.65 crore from 2023-24 to 2030-31, aiming to seed, nurture and scale up scientific and industrial R&D and create a vibrant & innovative ecosystem in Quantum Technology (QT).
- This will accelerate QT led economic growth, nurture the ecosystem in the country and make India one of the leading nations in the development of Quantum Technologies & Applications (QTA).
BANKING & FINANCE
IndusInd Bank signs $100 million loan agreement with JBIC
IndusInd Bank’s GIFT City IBU (IFSC Banking Unit) branch has entered into a $100 million long-term loan agreement with the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) to foster the growth of Japanese construction equipment companies in India.
- The funds raised will be used to provide need-based credit facilities to upstream and downstream companies that comprise the supply chain of Japanese original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in India, the lender said in a release, adding that this is the first of its kind lending by JBIC through any IFSC Banking unit at GIFT City.
Chennai ranks among top 5 in digital payment transactions in 2022
Chennai has emerged as one of the top digital payment transactions cities in 2022 in the country, according to a report by payment services firm Worldline India. Chennai made 14.3 million transactions with a value of USD 35.5 billion.
- Bengaluru topped the list with 29 million transactions worth USD 65 billion, followed by New Delhi with 19.6 million transactions worth USD 50 billion, Mumbai with 18.7 million transactions worth USD 49.5 billion, and Pune with 15 million transactions valued at USD 32.8 billion.
- E-commerce space, gaming, utility, and financial services contributed to over 85 percent of the total transaction volume and 25 percent in terms of value.
- Education, travel, and hospitality sector accounted for 15 percent of the total volume and 75 percent in terms of value.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India emerges as Third-Largest hub with 68 Unicorns
India emerges as the third-largest unicorn hub with 68 startups valued at $1bn+ India has solidified its position as the third-largest hub for startup unicorns, with a total of 68 companies valued at over $1 billion, according to The Hurun Research Institute’s Global Unicorn Index 2023.
- Edtech giant BYJU’S leads the way in India with a valuation of $22 billion, followed by food delivery and quick commerce startup Swiggy and fantasy sports platform Dream11, both worth $8 billion. While no Indian startups were included in the list of top 10 global startups, logistics unicorn Delhivery secured the 14th spot on the list of top IPOs last year.
Argentina to replace Indonesia as under-20 World Cup host – FIFA
FIFA has selected Argentina to host the under-20 soccer World Cup after revoking the hosting rights from Indonesia. This decision was made after Indonesia’s football association cancelled the draw scheduled to take place inBali due to the governor’s refusal to host Israel’s team.
- The South American Football Confederation Congress received the official bid from the Argentine Football Association to host the under-20 soccer World Cup from May 20 to June 11.
Bhubaneswar to host 2023 Intercontinental Cup in June
Four-team Intercontinental Football Cup will be held in Bhubaneswar from June 9 to 18. This will be the third edition of the tournament with the previous two being held in Mumbai (2018) and Ahmedabad (2019).
- Host India will be joined by Lebanon, Mongolia and Vanuatu in the tournament. The Indian men’s national team had previously never played against Mongolia and Vanuatu. Against Lebanon, the hosts hold a record of playing six matches.
Angela Merkel awarded Germany’s top order of merit
Former Chancellor Angela Merkel received Germany’s highest Order of Merit. The Grand Cross award was handed to her by President Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
- The award has only been given twice before, to former chancellors Konrad Adenauer and Helmut Kohl. All three former leaders belong to the conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU).
- The Order of Merit entails no financial reward. Merkel led Germany from 2005 to 2021, totaling four terms in office. She did not seek a fifth term. She was the first woman to take the post of chancellor and the first German head of government to have grown up in socialist East Germany.
Asha Bhosle to receive Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar Puraskar
Asha Bhosle, the renowned singer, will be honored with the Lata Deenanath Mangeshkar award, which was established by the Mangeshkar family and trust in memory of Lata Mangeshkar.
- The award ceremony will take place on April 24, which is the anniversary of their father’s death. Asha Bhosle, who is Lata Mangeshkar’s younger sister, will be the recipient of the award.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launches SATHI Portal & Mobile App
The Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar, has unveiled a new online platform and mobile application called SATHI (Seed Traceability, Authentication, and Holistic Inventory) to address the issues of seed production, quality identification, and certification. The platform has been developed under the Uttam Beej – Samriddh Kisan scheme.
- Mr. Tomar highlighted that the government is committed to overcoming challenges faced by agriculture through schemes and programmes.
- The SATHI portal is considered a revolutionary step towards addressing issues related to seed production, quality identification, and certification.