Daily Current Affairs 21 April 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
NE’s largest multipurpose indoor stadium being built in Shillong
Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma said that a multipurpose indoor stadium is being constructed in Shillong and it would be the largest multipurpose indoor stadium in the northeastern region.
- He said that the indoor stadium would have facilities for different disciplines such as basketball, squash, badminton, table tennis, volleyball among others.
- According to the Chief Minister the renovated stadium would have a seating capacity of close to 30,000 and would be completed by December this year.
Nagaland gets approval from NMC for setting up its first medical college
In a significant development, the National Medical Commission (NMC) has granted approval for the establishment of the Nagaland Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, which will become the first medical college in the northeastern state since it gained statehood 60 years ago in 1963.
- Announcing the NMC’s approval to set up Nagaland Institute of Medical Sciences and Research in Kohima, Health and Family Welfare Minister P. Paiwang Konyak said that the academic session of the new medical college would begin from 2023-24.
- Of the 100 MBBS seats, 85 would be kept for students of Nagaland domicile, while the remaining 15 seats would be reserved for aspirants from other states.
Record 5.28 million houses built under rural housing scheme in FY23
India built a record 5.28 million houses under the flagship rural housing scheme in FY23, up 25% from a year earlier.
- So far, 28.6 million houses have been sanctioned by the Centre, of which 23.8 million have been built across states and Union territories. India built a record 5.28 million houses under the flagship rural housing scheme in FY23, up 25% from a year earlier.
Andhra CM lays foundation stone for Mulapeta Port in Srikakulam
The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy, initiated the construction of the Mulapeta greenfield port in Srikakulam district. The port is estimated to cost Rs 4,362 crore and is expected to be completed within two years.
- In addition to the port, the Chief Minister also laid the foundation for a fishing harbor in Budagatlapalem, a life irrigation project that will span from the Gotta barrage to the Hira Mandalam reservoir, and the continuation of work on the Mahendra Tanaya river.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI allows AU Small Finance Bank, Equitas Bank to deal with foreign exchange
AU Small Finance Bank has announced that it has been granted permission by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to act as an authorized dealer in foreign exchange.
- The bank has received a license to operate as an Authorized Dealer Category-I (AD-I) under section 10 of FEMA, 1999.
- As a result, the bank will be able to deal in foreign exchange going forward, provided it adheres to all relevant regulations. This announcement was made by the bank in a SEBI filing.
AIIB to open first overseas office in Abu Dhabi
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has recently signed an agreement to create its first Interim Operational Hub in Abu Dhabi Global Market, marking its initial foray into establishing an overseas office.
- As the host country for COP28 later this year, the UAE has emphasized the importance of climate finance, a key concern for nations as they strive to increase their efforts and commitments towards climate action.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Steel plans to set up a pilot plant at Kalinganagar, Odisha
Tata Steel is putting up a 10 tonnes-per-day pilot plant at its Kalinganagar plant in Odisha to produce methanol from blast furnace flue gases. If successful, this has the potential to open an avenue for substantial production of methanol in India.
- The objective of the project is to test how the carbon dioxide from the blast furnace in steel mills could be combined with hydrogen from electrolysers to make methanol.
- Methanol can be produced at ₹25 a litre, adding that the internal combustion engines currently in use can take 15-25 per cent methanol blend in petrol and diesel, without requiring any modification.
IPL 2023: David Warner becomes most capped overseas captain in IPL, surpasses Adam Gilchrist
David Warner became the most capped overseas captain in Indian Premier League (IPL) history when he walked out for the toss for Delhi Capitals against Kolkata Knight Riders during an IPL 2023 game in Delhi.
- The 36-year-old Warner surpassed compatriot Adam Gilchrist with his 75th appearance as captain in the IPL.
- Warner led the SRH side into the Playoffs in 2017 before his one-year ban from competitive cricket due to the Sandpaper Gate scandal in 2018. Warner then returned as SRH’s leader in 2020 and propelled the side to the Playoffs once again.
Prestigious Santokbaa Humanitarian Award conferred to innovator Sonam Wangchuk
The prestigious Santokbaa Humanitarian Award, an initiative of Shree Ramkrishna Exports (SRK) a leading diamond crafting and exports company, and its philanthropic arm Shree Ramkrishna Knowledge Foundation (SRKKF), has been conferred on a notable engineer, innovator, educationist and sustainable development reformist and Founder-Director of Students’ Educational and Cultural Movement of Ladakh (SECMOL), Sonam Wangchuk.
- The award, which carries a cash prize of Rs. 1 crore, has been instituted in memory of SRK and SRKKF’s Founder Chairman Govind Dholakia’s mother Late Santokbaa Dholakia.
- The award was presented to Shri Sonam Wangchuk on the death anniversary of Santokbaa on April 10, 2023, at an award ceremony at Hotel Zen in Ladakh.
Karnataka bags National Award for Fasal Bima Yojana
During a national conference in Chhattisgarh, Karnataka was recognized as the leading state in implementing the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) scheme. The award was accepted by Shivayogi Kalasad, the Secretary to the government, Department of Agriculture.
- As per officials from the agriculture department, a sum of Rs. 687.4 crore has been settled for 5.66 lakh farmers, who had pending claims since 2018.
- In Karnataka, the PMFBY scheme is being executed through a state-designed and developed portal called ‘Samrakshane’, created in collaboration with the National Informatics Centre (NIC).