Daily Current Affairs 20 August 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India’s first electric double-decker bus unveiled in Mumbai
Union transport minister Nitin Gadkari unveiled India’s first electric double-decker in Mumbai.
- The double-decker bus – called Switch EiV 22 – will be operated by Bombay Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) from September. The bus will be designed and manufactured in India by Switch Mobility Ltd.
- Switch EiV 22 is equipped with the latest technology, ultra-modern design, highest safety and best-in-class comfort features. The renewed iconic double-decker bus is designed to revolutionise public transportation in the country and will set new standards in the intra-city bus market.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launches mission to make India ‘No. 1’
Delhi Chief Minister and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) convenor Arvind Kejriwal launched a national mission to make India the number one country in the world and called on all citizens and political parties to join it.
- He also announced a mobile number 9510001000 where people could give a “missed call” if they wanted to see India as the number one nation in the world.
- Providing free education and healthcare to citizens, employment to youths, equal rights and dignity to women and fair price to farmers for their produce are needed to achieve the goal.
U.K. inflation tops 10% on soaring food and energy costs
Britain’s inflation rate rose to a new 40-year high of 10.1 per cent in July, as rising food prices tightened a cost-of-living squeeze fuelled by soaring energy prices.
- The Office for National Statistics said that consumer prices inflation hit double digits, a jump from 9.4 per cent in June and higher than analysts’ central forecast of 9.8 per cent.
- The increase was largely due to rising prices for food and staples, including toilet paper and toothbrushes, it said.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank launches ‘Vigil Aunty’ campaign to promote freedom from fraud
To educate customers on the modus operandi of financial fraudsters and share inputs on safe banking habits, HDFC Bank has come out with a community awareness programme called ‘Vigil Aunty’.
- The bank has roped in actor Anuradha Menon, who will host chat shows on social media platforms to create awareness on cyber frauds.
- Until now, the financial sector regulator had taken up the mantle to educate customers on frauds happening in this space.
Axis Bank Inks MoU With Food Corporation Of India To Provide “Ultima Salary Package”
Axis Bank has signed an MoU with Food Corporation of India (FCI) to provide ‘Ultima Salary package’, a best-in-class salary account with exclusive benefits & features to all its employees. With this MoU, the Bank has reinstated its commitment towards offering holistic banking services to the employees of Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) sector.
- This MOU is a reflection of Axis Bank’s constant endeavour to address the banking requirements of different customer segments, helping them meet their financial aspirations & milestones.
Yes Bank partners with SellerApp to facilitate adoption of ONDC
YES BANK announced its partnership with SellerApp, a seller-centric intelligence platform, to facilitate the adoption of Open Network Digital Commerce (ONDC) amongst the seller segment of its customer base and help them increase their digital commerce footprint.
- Open Network Digital Commerce or ONDC is a strategic initiative by the Government of India, which aims to democratize the digital commerce space. The ONDC is also an alternative to Flipkart and Amazon in the Indian eCommerce market.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s oil demand to rise 7.7% in 2023
India’s demand for petroleum products like petrol and diesel will grow by 7.73 per cent in 2023, the fastest pace in the world, an OPEC report said.
- India’s demand for oil products is projected to rise from 4.77 million barrels per day (bpd) in 2022 to 5.14 million bpd in 2023, OPEC said in its monthly oil report.
- The growth in demand is the fastest in the world ahead of 1.23 per cent of China, 3.39 per cent of the US and 4.62 per cent of Europe.
- For 2023, the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) projected a growth of 4.67 per cent in India’s demand to 5.38 per cent.
Bengaluru to host FIBA U18 Women’s Asian Championship
The International Basketball Federation FIBA is scheduled to host the FIBA U18 Women’s Asian Championship at Sree Kanteerva and Koramangala Indoor stadiums in Bengaluru from September 5 to 11. As many as 16 countries will participate in the event.
- The championship will be in two divisions — A and B. The countries in Division A are: China, Indonesia, India, Japan, Korea, Chinese, Taipei, Australia and New Zealand. In Division B are: Hong Kong, Jordan, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Philippines, Samoa and Thailand.
- Division A will be held at Kanteerva Indoor Stadium and Division B at Koramangala Indoor Stadium.
Bajaj Electricals elevates Anuj Poddar as Managing Director, CEO
Consumer durable products maker Bajaj Electricals elevated its Executive Director Anuj Poddar to Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- The company has separated the post of Chairman & Managing Director and its patron Shekhar Bajaj will continue as Executive Chairman of the company, said a statement from Bajaj Electricals.
- This announcement comes on the back of the ongoing transformation journey and keeping in mind the company’s long-term strategy.
Bangladeshi architect Marina becomes first South Asian to win Lisbon Triennale Lifetime Achievement Award
Renowned Bangladeshi architect, researcher and educator Marina Tabassum became the first person from the global south and first south Asian to win the prestigious Lisbon Triennale Millennium bcp Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Announcing the award, the Lisbon Architecture Triennale jury praised Marina Tabassum for presenting an inspiring example of work with local communities that can have a positive impact across the globe even under the most adverse conditions.
- She will receive an original artwork by the Portuguese artist and sculptor Carlos Nogueira as award during the Lisbon Triennale which begins on 29 September in Lisbon, Portugal.