Daily Current Affairs 20 December 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Tamil Nadu makes Aadhaar card mandatory for beneficiaries of govt schemes
The Tamil Nadu government announced that beneficiaries of all government schemes (except minor children) must submit proof that they have an Aadhaar number or undergo Aadhaar verification.
- An order was issued by Finance Secretary N Muruganandam stating that using Aadhaar verification will “simplify the government delivery process” and ensure efficiency and transparency.
- The order makes Aadhaar mandatory for government employees, government pensioners, and other beneficiaries of schemes introduced by the state government.
Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel unveils logo, website and social media handles of Urban-20 conference as part of G-20 meetings in Ahmedabad
In Gujarat, Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel unveiled the logo, website and social media handles of the Urban-20 conference in Gandhinagar. The UNESCO heritage city Ahmedabad will host the Urban 20 cycles as part of G 20 meetings between February to July.
- Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel said the U 20 cycles will begin after the U 20 Sherpa Meeting on February 9-10 and will culminate by Mayors Meet in July.
- Along with C40 (Climate 40) and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), Ahmedabad will organise various events including City Sherpas’ inception meeting on February 9 and 10.
Tamil Nadu govt launches ‘Friends of Library’ programme to promote reading
The ‘Friends of Library’ programme, under which books would be directly given to those who are unable to access state-run libraries, was introduced by the Tamil Nadu government.
- As a result, the project will be helpful to people with disabilities, seniors, kids, and hospital in-patients, among others, who are unable to visit a library.The programme will involve 2,500 libraries in its initial phase, including 31 district libraries.
- Such individuals will receive the books from the libraries from volunteers, he continued. The recipients must register with the relevant library.
EU adopts global minimum 15% tax on big business
Members of the European Union agreed in principle to implement a minimum tax of 15% on big businesses.
- Last year, 136 countries had agreed on a plan to redistribute tax rights across jurisdictions and enforce a minimum tax rate of 15% on large multinational corporations. It is estimated that the minimum tax rate would boost global tax revenues by $150 billion annually.
- The landmark deal between nearly 140 countries aims to stop governments racing to cut taxes in a bid to attract companies. It was praised by US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen as “an historic agreement which helps even the playing field”.
INSV Tarini to participate in 50th edition of Cape Town to Rio Race 2023
INSV Tarini has set sail for an expedition to Cape Town, South Africa for participating in the 50th edition of Cape to Rio Race 2023. This ocean sailing race will be flagged off from Cape Town on 2nd January, 2023 and will culminate at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The race is one of the most prestigious Trans-Atlantic ocean races. The expedition is being undertaken by an Indian Navy crew of five officers including two women officers.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Overall trade deficit down at $11.11 b in November
India’s overall trade deficit for goods and services in November fell to $11.11 billion, lower than last year, data released by the Commerce Ministry showed. The overall trade deficit was $13.19 billion in November 2021.
- November’s goods exports stood at $31.99 billion against $29.78 billion in October and $30.04 billion a year ago. The export data is still the lowest since November 2021 due to lower prices and volumes.
- Also, November goods imports were recorded at $55.88 billion against $56.69 billion a month ago. The number stood at $52.94 billion a year ago. November goods trade deficit has fallen to $23.81 billion against $26.9 billion in October and $22.9 billion year-on-year (YoY). The November goods deficit is the lowest since May.
Rehan Ahmed becomes youngest to claim five-fer on Test debut in men’s cricket
England’s leg-spinner Rehan Ahmed became the youngest men’s Test cricketer to take a five-wicket haul on debut during the ongoing third match against Pakistan at the National Bank Cricket Arena.
- After making his Test debut at 18 years and 126 days, Rehan claimed three wickets in six overs on his way to 5-48 in the second innings, playing a key role in bowling out Pakistan for 216 in 74.5 overs on day three of the match.
France’s Benzema retires from international football
France striker Karim Benzema announced his retirement from international football, a day after the national team lost the World Cup final against Argentina on penalties.
- Benzema, who is the reigning Ballon d’Or winner, was part of the French squad in Qatar before a thigh injury ruled him out of the World Cup.
- He made his international debut in 2007 and has 37 goals from 97 appearances.
Kylian Mbappe wins Golden Boot after hattrick in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 final
Kylian Mbappe won the Golden Boot award after scoring a hat trick for France in their World Cup final defeat against Argentina.
- Mbappe scored his sixth, seventh and eighth goals of the 2022 tournament to take his total to 12 in the competition overall.
- Argentina goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, who won the Golden Glove, saved Kingsley Coman’s penalty, and Aurelien Tchouameni fired wide to give Argentina their first world title since 1986 and third overall.
NMDC wins IEI Industry Excellence Award 2022
National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) won the coveted IEI (Institution of Engineers, India) Industry Excellence Award 2022 in Chennai.
- The largest producer of the iron ore in the country was felicitated at the 37th Indian Engineering Congress for its outstanding performance and high level of business excellence.
- IEI has given the Industry Excellence Award to NMDC after reviewing the business operations, financial performance, environmental performance, research and development, CSR and corporate governance policies of a company.