Daily Current Affairs 20 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
UK, India launch joint research projects on clean water and energy
India and United Kingdom jointly launched research projects on ‘Water Quality Research’ and ‘Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment’.
- These projects aim to deliver mutual benefits and research solutions the UK and India, besides addressing shared global sustainable development goals on clean water and clean energy.
Union Cabinet Approves Creation of National Urban Housing Fund
The Union Cabinet has given approval for creation of National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF) for Rs.60,000 crores. This fund will be situated in Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council (BMTPC), an autonomous body under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- NUHF will facilitate raising requisite funds in next four years so that flow of Central Assistance under different verticals i.e. Beneficiary Linked Construction (BLC), Affordable Housing in Partnership(AHP), In-Situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR) and Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS).
Cabinet approves Silkyara Bend-Barkot Tunnel in Uttarkhand
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has given its approval to the construction of 4.531 km long 2-Lane Bi-Directional Silkyara Bend – Barkot Tunnel with escape passage including approaches on Dharasu -Yamunotri section between Chainage 25.400 Km. and Chainage 51.000 Km in Uttarakhand.
- The project will be falling along NH-134 (old NH-94) in the State of Uttarakhand.
Cabinet approves railway projects worth Rs 11,661 cr
The Union Cabinet approved multi-crore developmental projects worth Rs 11,661 crore, which include doubling and electrification of many lines.
- The new projects will herald good news for passengers as the crucial lines will reduce congestion on the existing network, enabling better punctuality of trains.
PM Flags Off Palace Queen Hamsafar Express in Karnataka
Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the Palace Queen Humsafar Express between Mysuru and Udaipur in Mysuru Railway Station.
- The train between Mysuru and Udaipur will act as a backbone of tourism, an employment generating industry.
Government to Launch Cheapest Sanitary Pads for Rural Women
In view to increase awareness and remove taboo about menstrual hygiene, the Maharashtra government has decided to launch Asmita Yojana on the International Women’s Day (March 8).
- High costs of sanitary pads, unavailability in rural areas and awkwardness among women to purchase them from male chemists are the main reasons behind such low awareness.
Maharashtra, Virgin Group Sign Deal For World’s First Hyperloop Between Mumbai and Pune
The Virgin Group signed an “intent agreement” with Maharashtra to build a hyperloop transportation system between Mumbai and Pune, which aims to reduce the travel time between the two mega cities to 20 minutes from the three hours at present.
India successfully test-fires nuclear capable Agni-II
The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) test-fired Agni II medium-range nuclear-capable missile from Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast. The missile has a strike range of more than 2,000 km.
- The launch comes one week after India test successfully fired indigenously developed surface-to-surface nuclear capable Agni-I (A) ballistic missile.
Mandarin approved as official language of Pakistan
The Pakistani Senate approved a motion to declare Mandarin as one of the official languages of Pakistan. The motion said the step was necessary in view of ties between Pakistan and China.
- Other official languages of Pakistan is Urdu and English.
IT exports growth likely to be 7-9% in 2018-19: Nasscom
According to the industry outlook by the National Association of Software & Services Companies (Nasscom), India’s IT exports are expected to grow at 7-9 per cent to be at $135-$137 billion in 2018-19.
- The IT exports during the current financial year are projected to be $126 billion, a growth of 7-8 per cent over previous year.
Virat Kohli becomes first Indian to cross 900 points in ICC ODI player rankings
Mumbai Virat Kohli became only the second batsman ever after South Africa’s AB de Villiers to have earned more than 900 rating points in ICC Rankings, in Test and ODI cricket concurrently.
- Kohli also became the first Indian batsmen ever to have breached the 900 points-mark in ODIs, extending his lead over de Villiers. Kohli now has 909 points, well ahead of de Villiers who has 844.
World Day of Social Justice: 20 February
Social Equality Justice day is a day recognizing the need to promote efforts to tackle issues such as poverty, exclusion and unemployment and is observed every year on 20th February.
- The theme of World Day of Social Justice 2018 is “Workers on the Move: the Quest for Social Justice.”
Eminent cardiologist B.K. Goyal passes away
Renowned cardiologist Bal Krishna Goyal has passed away. He served as a friend and cardiologist to top Indian political dignitaries and celebrities.
- He was awarded India’s top three civilian awards – Padma Shri (1984), Padma Bhushan (1990), and Padma Vibhushan (2005).
Telugu comedian Gundu Hanumantha Rao passes away
Veteran comedian of Telugu cinema Gundu Hanumantha Rao has passed away after cardiac arrest. He was 61.