Daily Current Affairs 20 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India hands over 18 high-end diesel locos to Myanmar
India handed over the 18th diesel-electric locomotive to Myanmar, thereby completing the first project under the current Indian line of credit (LoC) to the eastern neighbour.
- They have been customised for the Myanma Railways, built by Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi. They are also extremely fuel-efficient and equipped with the latest features.
Centre approves to set up a plastic park in Deoghar district of Jharkhand
Centre has approved to set up a plastic park in Deoghar district of Jharkhand. The park is being set up at an estimated cost of 120 crore rupees and is spread over 150 acres of land.
National Cultural Audiovisual Archives (NCAA) becomes the World’s First Trusted Digital Repository
National Cultural Audiovisual Archives (NCAA) project of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India, implemented by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) has been certified as the world’s first Trusted Digital Repository as per ISO 16363:2012 standard, granted by Primary Trustworthy Digital Repository Authorisation Body Ltd. (PTAB), United Kingdom.
- The primary objective of the NCAA is to identify and preserve the cultural heritage of India available in audiovisual form through a process of digitization and making it accessible to the people.
Delhi Government Launches App To Scout Singing, Dancing Talent
To give a platform to aspiring singers and dancers in the city, the Delhi government launched a mobile application that would allow deserving applicants down to the ward-level to showcase their talent on a big stage.
- The ‘Delhi’s Date with Democracy’ app is an initiative of the government’s department of art, culture and languages.
- The app would be used to help select candidates online first and then competitions would be held at various venues, from ward-level to the grand finale at the city level.
Naval ships exercise to boost UAE-India ties begins
Naval ships of the UAE and India will hold a first-ever joint exercise – ‘Gulf Star 1’ – giving a further boost to bilateral ties. Two Indian Navy ships INS Gomati (Guided Missile Frigate) and INS Kolkata (Guided Missile Destroyer) arrived in Dubai for the ‘Harbour Phase’ of the exercise and will participate with UAE Navy ships for the ‘Sea Phase’ from Tuesday.
- The joint exercise is part of the comprehensive strategic partnership and aims to further strengthen bilateral defence cooperation.
G20 ministerial meeting opens in Buenos Aires
The first G20 meeting of finance ministers and central bank governors began in Buenos Aires, with the presence of 57 delegations from countries and institutions.
- This is the first of five such meetings to be held before Argentina hosts the G20 Summit on November 30 to December 1.
World’s last surviving Rhino ‘Sudan’ dies
The last surviving northern white male rhinoceros of the world, named Sudan, has passed away in Kenya. Late Sudan had made headlines worldwide when, in an effort to raise funds for the conservation of the sub-species, dating app Tinder named him the ‘most eligible bachelor in the world’.
India clinch Nidahas Cricket Trophy by defeating Bangladesh
India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win the Nidahas Cricket Trophy final in Colombo. In a nail biting final, the visitors clinched the T20 Tri-series title with Dinesh Karthik’s last-ball six.
- This is the eighth victory of India against Bangladesh in a T-20 format.
Bihar Governor Satya Pal Malik given additional charge as Governor of Odisha
Bihar Governor Satya Pal Malik has been given additional charge as the Governor of Odisha. Dr SC Jamir, who is the present Odisha governor, has completed his tenure.
Eminent Hindi poet Kedarnath Singh passes away
Eminent Hindi poet and Jnanpith awardee Kedarnath Singh has passed away following prolonged illness. He was 84.
International Day of Happiness: 20 March
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated worldwide every March 20, and was conceptualized and founded by philanthropist, activist, statesman, and prominent United Nations special advisor Jayme Illien to inspire, mobilize, and advance the global happiness movement.
- The theme of International Day of Happiness 2018 is “Share Happiness”.
World Sparrow Day: 20 March
World Sparrow Day is a day designated to raise awareness of the house sparrow and then other common birds to urban environments, and of threats to their populations, observed on 20 March.
- It is an international initiative by the Nature Forever Society of India in collaboration with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation (France) and numerous other national and international organisations across the world.