Daily Current Affairs 22 February 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
J&K LG Manoj Sinha inaugurates North Zone Youth Festival ‘KSHITIJ’ at Spiritual Growth Centre, Katra
Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha inaugurated the North Zone Youth Festival ‘KSHITIJ’ at Spiritual Growth Centre, Katra.
- The 3-day North Zone Youth Festival is being organized by Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board in collaboration with Central Sanskrit University.
- Sanskrit scholars of 10 institutes from 7 states/UTs are participating in this unique Sanskrit Scholars festival. The Lt Governor welcomed the Sanskrit scholars participating in the festival and exhorted them to contribute constructively in nation building.
Delhi government bans Ola, Uber, Rapido bike taxis
The Delhi government has announced a ban on bike taxis with immediate effect. The decision will affect cab aggregators such as Ola, Uber, and Rapido, which are popular in the city.
- In a notice, the Delhi transport department says that two-wheelers having non-transport (private) registration marks/numbers are being used to carry passengers. The government notice indicates that using personal vehicles as commercial taxis violates Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.
- The move will also affect many customers that rely on two-wheelers via Ola, Uber, and Rapido amid surging fares of cabs. Many also prefer this affordable mode of transport since bikes are more mobile in Delhi’s traffic.
India, Nepal agree to add 200 MW to Dhalkebar-Muzaffarpur transmission line
Nepal and India have inked an agreement to increase the power import and export capacity through the 400 kV Dhalkebar-Muzaffarpur transmission line from 600 MW to 800 MW.
- An agreement to trade 70 to 80 MW of electricity from 132 kV Tanakpur-Mahendranagar power transmission line was also signed between the two countries. It has also been agreed to set up the necessary mechanisms to export power from Nepal to Bihar during the rainy season through the existing 132 kV transmission line.
- Both the parties agreed on the early completion of the construction work of the Indian section of the 400 kV new Butwal-Gorakhpur transmission line as the second international transmission line by March 2025.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB pledges $25 billion for India’s infra, social and green needs
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) in order to help India fulfil its most pressing development requirements, pledged up to $25 billion over the course of the next five years to support social development, climate change, and infrastructure development in India under the PM Gati Shakti project.
- ADB president Masatsugu Asakawa informed PM Narendra Modi during their discussion that ADB intended to provide $20–25 billion in resources over a five-year period to help the nation achieve its goals of rapid, inclusive, and environmentally friendly growth.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India remains fastest-growing major economy with expected 7 % growth in current fiscal despite disruptions caused by COVID pandemic, says ADB
The President of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) Masatsugu Asakawa has said that despite the disruptions caused by the COVID pandemic, India remains the fastest-growing major economy with expected seven per cent growth in the current fiscal.
- Mr Asakawa met Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in New Delhi. This is Mr Asakawa’s maiden visit to India since taking over as the President, of ADB in 2020.
- Mr Asakawa also complimented Mrs Sitharaman for India’s G-20 Presidency and conveyed ADB’s support for various initiatives India has taken under its G-20 Presidency.
NDDB Mrida Ltd. signs agreement with Sistema.bio & unveils “Gobar Se Samriddhi” programme
NDDB Mrida Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary company of National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) signed an agreement with Sistema.bio , India’s leading biogas company , to work with smallholder dairy farmers and provide sustainable solutions in waste-to-energy and open avenues of generating additional income for farmers.
- This collaborative effort will promote biogas plants and create a value chain that will improve the livelihoods of dairy farmers and at the same time contribute towards the Swachh Bharat Mission and encourage generation and use of green energy.
- NDDB has first-hand experience of working with Sistema Bio while developing the Zakariyapura Manure Management Model which is part of the Gobardhan Scheme in Gujarat now.
Tata Group bags Women’s Premier League title sponsorship rights till 2027
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has awarded the title sponsorship rights of the Women’s Premier League (WPL) seasons 2023-2027 to TATA Group.
- As per BCCI, the TATA Group, who also holds the title rights of the Indian Premier League (IPL), will be promoting its two flagship brands: TATA Capital and TATA Motors during the 2023-2027 time period.
India’s young shooter Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil wins gold medal at ISSF Shooting World Cup
Young Indian shooter Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil won the gold medal in the 10m Air Rifle individual event at the ongoing ISSF Shooting World Cup at Cairo in Egypt. The 19-year-old Rudrankksh defeated Maximilian Ulbrich from Germany with a score of 16-8 in the final.
- Croatia’s Miran Maricic took the bronze medal. This was Patil’s second gold at the ongoing competition, having won the yellow metal in the 10m rifle mixed team event with Narmada Raju.
- Other Indian shooters Divyansh Singh Panwar and Hriday Hazarika narrowly missed out on the qualification. With this, India’s medal tally in the World Cup has risen to four, including three gold.
- Pair of Rhythm Sangwan and Varun Tomar clinched gold in the 10m Air Pistol Mixed team event, the duo of Rudrankksh Patil and Narmada Raju bagged gold in the 10m Air Rifle Mixed team event while Varun won Bronze in the 10m Air Pistol individual event.
Poet V Madhusoodanan Nair wins Jnanappana Prize for 2023
Poet V. Madhusoodanan Nair has been selected for the Jnanappana Award – 2023 instituted by the Guruvayur Devaswom.
- The award carries ₹50,001, a gold locket of Guruvayurappan and a citation. It will be presented to the poet by Minister for Higher Education R. Bindu at a cultural meet to be held at Melpathur Auditorium, Guruvayur, on February 24.
- Madhusoodanan was selected for the prestigious award considering the overall contribution he made to the field of literature.