Daily Current Affairs 22 July 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Minimum guaranteed income bill passed in Rajasthan Assembly
The Rajasthan Assembly passed The Rajasthan Minimum Guaranteed Income Bill, 2023, which seeks to cover the entire adult population of the state with a guarantee of wages or pension.
- According to the Bill, some beneficiaries will receive guaranteed employment at minimum wage for at least 125 days per financial year.
- Other beneficiaries such as senior citizens, specially-abled persons, widows and single women shall be entitled to a pension under the Bill.
Himachal CM launches collateral-free loan scheme for women
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu launched a collateral-free loan scheme for women.
- The ‘Sashakt Mahila Rin Yojna’ is an initiative of Himachal Pradesh State Cooperative Bank (HPSCB), which will provide loans to women for pursuing their entrepreneurial dreams, engage in livelihood activities, fulfil their day to day needs and uplift their families, a statement issued.
- Under the scheme, the bank offers credit of Rs 21,000, Rs 51,000 and Rs 1,01,000 at a relatively low-interest rate of 8.51 per cent.
First ever “Credit Guarantee Scheme” for Livestock Sector
The Indian government has introduced a pioneering “Credit Guarantee Scheme” for the Livestock Sector aimed at revitalizing the rural economy and empowering Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- The Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying (DAHD) has established a Credit Guarantee Fund Trust of Rs 750 crore to provide credit guarantee coverage to eligible lending institutions, enabling improved access to finance for the underserved livestock sector.
Competition law: Power to appoint Director General (investigation) transferred from MCA to CCI
In a significant move, the Centre has implemented a key provision of the Competition (amendment) Act 2023 that vests power of appointment of Director General (Investigation) in the Competition Commission of India (CCI).So far, the power to appoint DG was vested in the Central Government.
- Besides implementing this key provision, the Centre has also now concurrently modified existing recruitment rules Competition Commission of India (Director General) Recruitment Rules, 2009 to change the composition of the Search-cum-Selection Committee for appointment of DG.
- Earlier, the Search-cum-Selection Committee was headed by Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA).
Karnataka CM launches registration for Gruha Lakshmi
Registration for ‘Gruha Lakshmi’ scheme, one of the five poll guarantees of the Congress government in Karnataka, which offers Rs 2,000 aid per month to women head of the family, began.
- According to officials, under this scheme Rs 24,000 will be transferred into the bank accounts of about 1.28 crore women head of the family in the state every year and is said to be one of the biggest such programmes in the country. It would come into effect from August 16.
BANKING & FINANCE
PNB launches ‘Project PNB PALAASH’ for Environmental Sustainability
Punjab National Bank (PNB) announced the launch of its environmental initiative ‘PNB Palaash’, an eight-month period campaign to embrace sustainability.
- The campaign would lead to cost savings and operational efficiencies through measures such as energy and resource conservation, paper reduction, waste management and streamlined digital processes.
South Zone beat West Zone by 75 runs to win Duleep Trophy
Continuing their dominance in the final, South Zone outclassed West Zone to win the Duleep Trophy with a 75-run victory.
- In pursuit of a target of 298 runs, West Zone, who resumed their innings at 182/5 on the final day, were eventually bowled out for 222.
- Left-arm spinner Sai Kishore and pacer Vasuki Koushik were the standout performers with the ball for South Zone, accounting for seven wickets between them.
England’s Stuart Broad becomes second pace bowler to take 600 wickets in Test cricket
England’s Stuart Broad has become the second pace bowler to take 600 wickets in Test cricket. The 36 year cricketer reached the mark by removing Australia’s Travis Head on day one of the fourth Ashes Test at Old Trafford.
- England team-mate James Anderson is the only other quick bowler to achieve the feat. Broad is fifth on the all-time list and Anderson third, with spinners Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne and Anil Kumble completing the top five.
Shah Rukh Khan appointed as the brand ambassador of ICC World Cup 2023
Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan has been appointed as the brand ambassador of ICC World Cup 2023.
- Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan launched the World Cup 2023 campaign ‘It takes one day’ in his iconic voiceover. The World Cup 2023 will be held in India from October 5 to November 19, 2023.
Mumbai to soon have an IIM, Union cabinet approves Bill to upgrade NITIE
The National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) in Mumbai will soon be promoted to the prestigious title of an Indian Institute of Management (IIM), making a significant addition to the city’s academic landscape.
- A law for this transformation was adopted by the Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on July 12, indicating a significant milestone for NITIE Mumbai.
- The NITIE Mumbai was founded in 1963 with funding from the International Labour Organisation (ILO) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- The pension payable shall be increased at the rate of 15 per cent per annum from FY 2024-25.