Daily Current Affairs 23 & 24 July 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Odisha cabinet approves Mission Shakti Scooter Yojana
Odisha’s Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik approved the Mission Shakti Scooter Yojana, a scheme aimed at providing interest subvention on bank loans up to INR 1,00,000 to beneficiaries, enabling them to purchase a scooter.
- This initiative grants affordable access to two-wheelers for Mission Shakti Federation Leaders and CSS (Community Support Staff). It will empower them to fulfill their responsibilities more efficiently, thus increasing their effectiveness and extending their outreach within the community.
Algeria applies to join BRICS, would contribute $1.5 bln to group bank
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune announced that Algeria has formally submitted an application to join the BRICS group of nations.
- The move aims to create new economic prospects for the oil and gas-rich nation in North Africa, as it seeks to diversify its economy and strengthen ties with countries like China.
BANKING & FINANCE
Russia’s Sberbank establishes major IT unit in Bengaluru
Sberbank’s branch in India has been granted permission by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up an IT unit in Bengaluru. The newly established IT office will serve as Sberbank’s in-house Data Processing Center.
- Sberbank’s India branch has been operating in New Delhi since 2010, offering a wide range of financial services, the new Bengaluru office will exclusively concentrate on developing information technologies.
- The IT hub will not only cater to the technological requirements of the Indian branch but also take charge of creating and implementing new digital products for clients.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Twitter replaces iconic bird logo with ‘X’
Elon Musk, owner of Twitter launched the new logo of Twitter ‘X’ by replacing the iconic bird logo. The “X” logo has been in the pipeline for a while with Musk’s strong want of an “everything app”.
- Before he bought Twitter for $44 billion, Musk described the platform as “an accelerant to creating X, the everything app” – something he plans to launch eventually.
India bans export of non-basmati white rice
The government had banned the export of non-basmati white rice to boost domestic supply and keep retail prices under check during the upcoming festive season.This type of rice constitutes about 25 per cent of total rice exported from the country.
- There would be no change in export policy of par-boiled non-basmati rice and basmati rice, which forms the bulk of exports, the food ministry had said in a statement
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty lift Korea Open Badminton men’s doubles title
Asian Champions Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty continued their winning streak by lifting the Korea Open Badminton men’s doubles title in Yeosu.
- The Indian duo defeated the world no. one pair of Fajar Alfian and Muhammad Rian Ardianto of Indonesia in a thrilling 3-game final match, 17-21, 21-13, 21-14.
- This is the third Super 500 title of their career so far after Thailand Open 2019 and Yonex Sunrise India Open 2022 and third BWF World Tour title in 2023 as well, having previously won Swiss Open 2023 (Super 300) and Indonesia Open 2023 (Super 1000) earlier this year.
Hungarian GP:Verstappen takes Red Bull’s record 12th win in a row
Dominant Formula One leader Max Verstappen ran away with the Hungarian Grand Prix by a mighty margin as Red Bull made history with a record 12th victory in a row.
- McLaren’s Lando Norris was runner-up for the second straight race, 33.7 seconds behind at the chequered flag, with Verstappen’s team mate and closest title rival Sergio Perez third.
- More significantly, it was Red Bull’s 12th consecutive win, breaking a 35-year-old record they had shared with McLaren, who won 11 straight races in 1988 with Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna as their driver pair.
Sri Lanka’s Lahiru Thirimanne announces retirement from international cricket
Sri Lanka batter Lahiru Thirimanne has announced his retirement from international cricket after a 13-year career.
- The 33-year-old top-order batter made his international debut in 2010 and went on to represent Sri Lanka in 44 Tests, 127 ODIs, and 26 T20Is.
- Thirimanne’s career had several highlights, including being part of three T20 World Cup campaigns and two ODI World Cups. His leadership skills were also recognized as he led Sri Lanka in five ODIs. One of his most memorable performances was against Bangladesh in 2021 when his impressive score of 140 runs led Sri Lanka to victory.
Lokesh M takes charge as Noida Authority CEO
After serving for a long-time as Noida Industrial Development Authority (NOIDA) Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Ritu Maheshwari has been removed from the position and transferred to Agra where she has been appointed as the commissioner.
- Kanpur’s divisional commissioner Lokesh M will replace Maheshwari who was also removed from the position of Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA) CEO on July 9.
- Lokesh M of the 2003 batch had last month joined his new posting in Kanpur, replacing 2004-batch IAS officer Raj Shekhar after a stint as commissioner of the Saharanpur division.
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik becomes second longest-serving CM in India
Naveen Patnaik of Odisha has become the second longest serving chief minister of a state in India with a tenure of 23 years and 139 days, surpassing the record of former West Bengal chief minister Jyoti Basu.
- Patnaik, the five-time Chief Minister of Odisha, took charge on March 5, 2000, and has been holding the post for the last 23 years and 139 days.
- Patnaik is now second only to Pawan Kumar Chamling of Sikkim, who holds the enviable record of helming a state for the longest time of 24 years and 166 days between December 1994 and May 2019. Basu left office in 2000 after ruling the eastern state for over 23 continuous years, while Chamling lost the assembly polls in May 2019 in the Himalayan state.