Daily Current Affairs 22 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
IT Ministry initiated scheme with outlay of approx Rs 6,500 cr to enable broadband and 4G connectivity to 7,000 villages: Arjun Munda in LS
Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda said, IT Ministry recently initiated a scheme with an outlay of approximately 6,500 crore rupees to enable broadband and 4G connectivity to 7,000 villages in the country.
- Replying to supplementaries on steps being taken to ensure access to internet connectivity for the tribal population in the country, Mr Munda informed this in the Lok Sabha.
- Mr Munda also said the government is implementing Tribal Sub-Plan (TSP) and Schedule Tribe Component (STC) Development Action Plan for STs for overall development of tribal people across the country.
Sainik School in Delhi to be named after Shaheed Bhagat Singh: CM Arvind Kejriwal
Sainik School in Delhi will be named after Shaheed Bhagat Singh.
- Briefing reporters, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said, government is building a Shaheed Bhagat Singh Armed Forces Preparatory School in Jharoda Kalan, where students will be trained for the armed forces.
- He said, the fees for the school will be free and will have separate hostels for boys and girls.
PMJJBY registers cumulative enrolment of over 9.27 crore, says Finance Ministry
Union Ministry of Finance has said that Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana, PMJJBY has registered a cumulative enrolment of over nine crore and 27 lakh. While Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana, PMSBY witnessed a cumulative enrolment of more than 17 crore 74 lakh.
- The data comprises the persons registered for these two schemes since 1st of April 2017 to 23rd of last month.
- PMJJBY and PMSBY were launched on 9th May, 2015 with a view to enhance the level of insurance penetration in the country and to provide insurance cover to common people, especially poor and the under-privileged sections of the society.
Prasar Bharati signs MoU with Australia’s public service broadcaster to boost co-operation
India’s public broadcaster Prasar Bharati has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Australia’s public service broadcaster Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) to boost co-operation in the field of broadcasting.
- This will expand the reach of DD News, DD India and multiple language services of DD News amongst the Indian Diaspora in Australia.
- Through this MoU, the two broadcasters will explore opportunities in co-production and joint broadcasting of programmes spanning multiple genres.
BJP’s S Phangnon Konyak to become Nagaland’s first woman Rajya Sabha MP
In Nagaland, BJP’s nominee S Phangnon Konyak is set to become the first woman to be elected as Member of Parliament for the state’s lone Rajya Sabha seat.
- Konyak, 44 years old is the incumbent Mahila Morcha President Nagaland unit, hailing from Mon district.
- Creating history, Konyak becomes the second woman after Rana M Shazia to enter any Parliament House. It was in 1977 when Shaiza was elected to the Lok Sabha from Nagaland.
India and Seychelles kick start 10-day joint military exercise
India and Seychelles will kick-start a 10-day military exercise as part of efforts to further boost overall security cooperation in the Indian Ocean amid China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
- Exercise LAMITIYE will take place at the Seychelles Defence Academy (SDA) from March 22 to 31, and it will feature a range of complex military drills, demonstrations and discussions.
- The objective of the joint training exercise is to build and promote bilateral military relations in addition to exchanging skills, experiences and good practices between both the armies.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank to give a digital push to small business loans
‘Small’ is big business for India’s most valuable bank. After the regulator eased all curbs, HDFC Bank has decided to create a dedicated app for mom-and-pop stores to push merchant loans.
- The bank now clocks at least ₹1,000 crore in merchant loans every month and is looking to triple the run rate. HDFC Bank will also launch an application ‘AutoFirst’ that will offer fully automated auto loans.
- Already in its pilot phase, the SmartHub Vyapar programme for merchants will be launched soon. It is an app that bundles all payment platforms – cards, UPI, QR code, tap pay and SMS-based payments.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Startups get up to 10 yrs for converting debt investment into equity
The government has extended the timeline up to ten years for startups to convert debt investments made in the company into equity shares, a decision which is likely to give a relief to budding entrepreneurs to deal with the impact of Covid-19 pandemic, according to a press note of the DPIIT.
- Earlier the option of changing convertible notes into equity shares was allowed for up to five years from the day when initial convertible note was issued. Now that timeline has been extended to ten years.
Hyderabad FC win maiden ISL trophy; beat Kerala Blasters
Hyderabad FC reigned supreme to lift their maiden Indian Super League title after defeating Kerala Blasters in the summit clash at the PJN Stadium in Fatorda, Goa.
- Hyderabad FC won the shootout—the second in an ISL final after Atletico de Kolkata’s 2016 triumph—3-1 after it ended 1-1 in regulation and extra time for their maiden ISL title in their maiden final. Kerala, meanwhile, were third-time unlucky in the final, twice on penalties.
BNP Paribas Open | Indian Wells 2022 winners
The 2022 BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament, also known as the 2022 Indian Wells Masters, was held from March 07 to 20, 2022 at Indian Wells, California, US.
List of winners:
- Women’s singles: Iga Świątek (Poland)
- Men’s Singles: Taylor Fritz (United States)
- Women’s Doubles: Xu Yifan / Yang Zhaoxuan
- Men’s Doubles:John Isner / Jack Sock.
Venezuela’s Yulimar Rojas Sets Triple Jump World Record
Venezuela’s Yulimar Rojas bettered her own women’s triple jump world record with a leap of 15.74 metres to win gold at the World Indoor Championships.
- The Olympic champion beat her previous outright best of 15.67 metres set at the Tokyo Games last year, as well as her indoor record of 15.43 metres, set in 2020.
- Maryna Bekh-Romanchuk of Ukraine won silver with 14.74 metres, a personal best. The bronze went to Jamaica’s Kimberly Williams with 14.62 metres.
Taylor Fritz defeats Rafael Nadal to lift Indian Wells trophy
American Taylor Fritz claimed the biggest paycheque of his tennis career, winning his maiden ATP Masters 1000 title by defeating Spanish stalwart Rafael Nadal 6-3, 7-6(5) in the BNP Paribas Open final.
- It was 21-time Grand Slam-winner Nadal’s first defeat of the 2022 season, while it was the biggest career win for the 24-year-old American, who lifted his second ATP Tour trophy.
- Fritz,playing in his first Masters 1000 final, became the first American men’s champion at Indian Wells since Andre Agassi in 2001 and the youngest Indian Wells men’s champ since Serbian Novak Djokovic in 2011.
BJP retains Uttarakhand and Goa Chief Ministers for second consecutive term
BJP has announced the names of Chief Ministers of Uttarakhand and Goa. Pushkar Singh Dhami in Uttarakhand and Pramod Sawant in Goa will be Chief Ministers for their second consecutive terms.
- The Legislative party of the newly-elected MLAs of both the states elected their Leaders, eleven days after the Assembly election results were announced.
- BJP has stormed back to power for an unprecedented second successive term in the hill state winning 47 seats in the 70 member Legislative Assembly.
- BJP has 20 members and support of 3 independents and 2 Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party members in the 40 members Goa legislative assembly.
Serdar Berdimuhamedow sworn in as Turkmenistan president
Serdar Berdymukhammedov, son of long-standing autocratic Turkmen leader Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov, has taken office as president.
- Serdar Berdymukhammedov’s victory in a snap presidential election on March 12 came after his 64-year-old father Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov, who came to power in late 2006, announced in February that he was stepping down to give way to “young leaders.”
NITI Aayog confers WTI Award 2021 to 75 Women for an exemplary contribution towards Sashakt Aur Samarth Bharat
Seventy five women were conferred with the Women Transforming India Awards-2021 in recognition to their contribution towards a Sashakt Aur Samarth Bharat.
- NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform conferred the fifth edition of awards in New Delhi as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The Awards are NITI Aayog’s annual initiative to highlight the commendable and ground-breaking endeavours of India’s women leaders and change-makers.
Neeraj Chopra, Mirabai Chanu win big at Sportstar Aces Awards 2022
Tokyo Olympic gold medallist Neeraj Chopra claimed the coveted ‘Sportstar of the Year (Male)’ award at the 2022 Sportstar Aces Awards held at The Taj Mahal Palace hotel.
- Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu, who won the silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics, received the ‘Sportstar of the Year (Female)’ award.
Other awardee’s in the list:
- Lovlina Borgohain (Sportswoman of the Year, Individual Sports),
- Avani Lekhara (Parathlete of the Year, Female),
- Pramod Bhagat (Special Recognition award),
- Savita (Sportswoman of the Year, Team Sports), and Rupinder Pal Singh (Sportsman of the Year, Team Sports).
- Arif Khan wins Special Recognition Award at Sportstar Aces 2022.
- Former Indian hockey team captain Ajit Pal Singh was conferred the ‘Lifetime Achievement award.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
China develops laser weapon that could destroy satellites in space
Researchers in China have developed a microwave machine “Relativistic Klystron Amplifier (RKA)”, that could jam or destroy satellites in space.
- The device can generate a wave burst measuring 5-megawatts in the Ka-band, a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum increasingly used for both civil and military purposes, citing Asia Times.
- Although not powerful enough to shoot targets out of the sky from the ground, the RKA can be mounted onto satellites, which could then be used to attack enemy assets in space by burning out their sensitive electronics.
Bangladesh’s ex-interim president Shahabuddin Ahmed passes away
Bangladesh’s former president and chief justice Shahabuddin Ahmed passed away at the age of 92 at a military hospital.
- Shahabuddin took over as acting president after the fall of military dictator HM Ershad and was elected president unopposed after the Awami League was voted to power in 1996.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘Road to 1000’ book released by Sportstar and The Hindu group
Sportstar and The Hindu group released a Coffee Table Book, ‘Road to 1000’, at the 2022 Sportstar Aces Awards at The Taj Mahal Palace hotel.
- The book is a 520-page, special collection with 1000 pictures to commemorate Indian cricket’s journey.
- ‘Road to 1000’ was released by former India cricketers Sunil Gavaskar, Syed Kirmani, Dilip Vengsarkar, Mohammad Azharuddin, Chandrakant Pandit and Nilesh Kulkarni.