Daily Current Affairs 24 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
AICTE, IPA Sign MoU to introduce Plumbing Education in Engineering, Architecture Institutions
The All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) has signed a pact with the Indian Plumbing Association (IPA) to introduce a course in plumbing in engineering and architecture institutions across India, officials said. The MoU was signed between AICTE Chairman Anil D Sahasrabudhe and Gurmit Singh Arora, IPA’s national president.
- According to the pact, students studying engineering, architecture, or interior designing, or graduates with a “major” degree in civil, environmental, and mechanical engineering, architecture, or interior designing, will be able to take a four-credit course in “Plumbing” (Water and Sanitation).
Microsoft announces two initiatives to Support Startups in India
Microsoft India announced two new initiatives in line with its efforts to help entrepreneurs and their organisations innovate and grow. Outlining the initiatives, it said Microsoft AI Innovate will introduce its second cohort, while a hackathon for startups is aimed at providing resources and support to developers for creating digital solutions that empower business innovation, social entrepreneurship and sustainability.
- Supported by ‘SaaS Insider’, the initiative is designed to help startups scale up operations, drive innovation and build industry expertise.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
MG Motor and BPCL Partner for Expanding EV Charging Infrastructure in India
Automaker MG Motor India has partnered with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) to bolster EV charging infrastructure across the country. The partnership with BPCL will add momentum to EV adoption by expanding opportunities for intercity travel as the two entities will install EV chargers across highways and within cities.
India’s R Value Increases Above 1 for First Time in 3 Months, Says Researcher
India’s effective reproduction number (R) for Covid, an indicator of how quickly the infection is spreading, has increased to over one for the first time since January, estimates a researcher from Chennai’s Institute of Mathematical Sciences. The country’s R value, steadily increasing over the last few weeks, is 1.07 for the week between April 12-18, according to Sitabhra Sinha. In the preceding April 5-11 week, it was 0.93.
- The last time the R was above 1 was in the week between January 16-22, when the value was 1.28, Sinha said. “This increase in R-value is not just because of Delhi but also Haryana and Uttar Pradesh”. The mathematician has been tracking R for India since the beginning of the pandemic.
- An R value over 1 indicates that the number of active cases has increased. R should be contained below 1 to control the pandemic. An R number lower than 1 indicates that the disease will stop spreading as there aren’t enough people being infected to sustain the outbreak. The R value this year was highest between January 1-10, reaching 2.98 when the Omicron variant of coronavirus caused the third wave in India.
Indian GM Gukesh Wins Menorca Open Chess Tourney
Teenaged Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh won the Menorca Open chess tournament, his second title win in as many weeks. Indian players dominated, taking seven spots in the top 10 with Aryan Chopra finishing runner-up.
- The 15-year old GM scored six points from seven rounds to clinch first place and earned 1,600 Euros as prize money.
- Gukesh defeated fellow Indian B Adhiban in the seventh and final round to cap an impressive performance during which he remained undefeated.
World Cup Stage 1: Tarundeep Rai-Ridhi Phor Win Mixed Team Title as India End Camping with 2 Golds
India bagged its gold medal at the Archery World Cup Stage 1 as the recurve mixed team of Tarundeep Rai and Ridhi Phor came form behind to pip Great Britain in the shoot-off.
Vijayveer Sidhu Wins Men’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Event, Rhythm Sangwan Bags Double Gold
Punjab’s Vijayveer Sidhu won the men’s 25m rapid fire pistol title while Haryana’s Rhythm Sangwan clinched gold in both the women and junior sections of the same event on day six of the National Selection Trial 3 and 4.
Niti Aayog VC Rajiv Kumar Steps Down; Suman Bery to Take Charge from May 1
The government appointed Suman K Bery as the vice chairman of Niti Aayog, following the sudden resignation of Rajiv Kumar. Bery will take charge from May 1, 2022, an official order said. Kumar’s tenure will end on April 30.
- Kumar, an eminent economist, took over as vice chairman of Niti Aayog in August 2017 after the then VC Arvind Panagariya exited the government think-tank to return to academics.
- According to the order, Kumar’s resignation has been accepted and he would be relieved from the post with effect from April 30.
Veteran Congress Leader K Sankaranarayanan passes away
Senior Congress leader and former Governor of various states K Sankaranarayanan has passed away, family sources said. He was 89. Sankaranarayanan was the Governor of Maharashtra, Nagaland and Jharkhand. He had also held additional charges of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and Goa as Governor.
Former National Champion Para Swimmer passes away
Five years after he was declared “ineligible” to compete in para-swimming events, Amartya Chakraborty, a three-time former national champion, has passed away.
- Amartya died at the GB Pant Hospital in New Delhi due to “sudden cardio-respiratory arrest”.