Daily Current Affairs 25 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt Aims to Establish A ‘Semiconductor Ecosystem’ in India
India will consume semiconductors of around USD 70-80 billion to manufacture electronics products worth USD 300 billion by 2026 as envisaged in the government’s vision document, Minister of State for Electronics and IT Rajeev Chandrasekhar said.
- The minister said the government will achieve the target of establishing a semiconductor ecosystem in the country based on the interest it is getting from around the globe.
Andhra Pradesh Receives Record Rs 12,123 Cr for National Highway Development
The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has approved the highest-ever outlay of Rs 12,123 crore for improvement of National Highway infrastructure in Andhra Pradesh, a senior state government official said.
- State Roads and Buildings Department Principal Secretary M T Krishna Babu said this allocation is a jump of Rs 4,258 crore over last year’s sanction of Rs 7,865 crore.
- In AP, the national highways are spread over a length of 7,303.34 kilometres of which 4,007.95 km are maintained by the state Roads and Buildings Department.
Aaditya Thackeray inaugurates Mumbai’s first completely digital bus service
Maharashtra State Environment Minister Aaditya Thackeray, inaugurated the city’s first completely digital bus on the Gateway of India to Churchgate route, with a unique Tap-in Tap-out feature.
- BEST officials claimed this is the first-ever 100 per cent digital bus service in the country, aimed at increasing the digitisation of the bus ticketing system.
- The bus has a unique tap-in tap-out feature. Passengers can can tap in using their smart card or via the ‘chalo’ app installed on their smartphones.
PM Modi releases coin, stamp on Guru Tegh Bahadur’s 400th Parkash Purab
Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin and a postage stamp to mark the 400th anniversary of Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Sikh Guru and recalled the sacrifice of the ninth Sikh guru in protecting culture.
- Mr. Modi addressed the gathering at Red Fort, where a two-day celebration of the 400th birth anniversary of Guru Tegh Bahadur culminated.
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0 completes four years
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, UBA 2.0 has completed four years.
- On April 25,2018, the UBA 2.0 was launched with the vision of transformational change in rural development processes.
- Unnat Bharat Abhiyan is a flagship programme of the Education Ministry which aims to link the Higher Education Institutions with set of atleast five villages.
NATO’s large-scale cyberdefense exercise Locked Shields underway in Tallinn
The Tallinn-based NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence, abbreviated as CCDCOE, is organising the Locked Shields 2022, the largest and most complex annual international live-fire cyber defence exercise in the world.
- At the exercise, cyber experts practise the protection of national civilian and military IT systems and critical infrastructure in a large-scale cyber-attack. It is conducted under conditions of intense pressure, with teams countering series of sophisticated cyberattacks.
- The exercise provides an opportunity to practice cooperation in a crisis situation between both civilian and military units, as well as public and private sectors, as in the event of a large-scale cyber-attack these tactical and strategic decision-makers must work together.
BANKING & FINANCE
NSE IFSC announces launch of international sustainability platform at GIFT City
NSE IFSC, a subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange (NSE), announced the launch of an international sustainability platform at Gandhinagar, Gujarat’s GIFT City, which is expected to get operationalised in the second half of 2022, subject to regulatory approvals.This is a first of its kind ESG (environmental, social and governance) platform in India.
- The platform will facilitate listing and trading a variety of sustainability products including green bonds, voluntary carbon, sustainable bonds, green real estate investment trusts (REITs), green equity, among others and channelize the flow of sustainable finance to India and other markets.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Maharashtra to get Rs 600 cr under SIDBI Cluster Development Fund to meet MSMEs’ skilled manpower demand
Small Industries Development Bank of India said it has provided the approval for Rs 600 crore to the Maharashtra government under the SIDBI Cluster Development Fund.
- An in-principle approval letter has been issued to Maharashtra for an amount of Rs 600 crore for reviving and upgrading various ITIs /polytechnics under the SIDBI Cluster Development Fund (SCDF), SIDBI said.
IIT Delhi Ties up with POSOCO to Conduct Research on India Power Sector
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has partnered with Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO)-NRLDC to encourage research on issues related to the India’s power sector as well as strengthen academia and industry interaction with the goal of sharing of knowledge. The institute has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the organisation.
- The partnership’s goals are to improve academia-industry interaction with the goal of knowledge sharing and capacity building through collaboration, as well as to promote research on topics related to India’s power sector, such as data sciences or data analytics, ancillary services for grid operations, short-term demand and RE forecasting using artificial intelligence and machine learning, dynamic security assessment, phasor measurement, and unit analytics, among others.
R Madhavan’s son Vedaant wins gold at Danish Open 2022
Actor R Madhavan is a proud father, after his son Vedaant Madhavan won a gold medal in swimming at the Danish Open 2022 in Copenhagen.
- According to his caption, his 16-year-old son won the medal in the 800m swimming championship and finished in 8:17.28 minutes.
First of its kind mobile app launched for Khelo India University Games
In a first-of-its-kind initiative, the second edition of the Khelo India University Games to be held in the tech capital Bengaluru will have its own mobile application.
- A brainchild of the Department of Youth Empowerment and Sports (DYES) and hosts Jain Deemed-to-be University, the unique ‘Khelo India Uni Games 2021’ mobile app promises to be a one-stop-shop for all information regarding the prestigious event scheduled to begin on the 24th April.
- The coveted Games, which will be India’s first largest mass participation sporting event post-pandemic, will witness over 4,500 participants representing a total of about 189 universities vie for top honours in 20 disciplines.
Capgemini CEO Ashwin Yardi appointed UNICEF’s YuWaah board co-chair
UNICEF’s YuWaah’ – the Indian chapter of Generation Unlimited – has announced Ashwin Yardi, the CEO of Capgemini in India, to be its co-chair.Yardi will be a co-chair along with Yasumasa Kimura, the UNICEF Representative.
- YuWaah’s work to improve skilling, community development and economic opportunity for young people is truly one of the enduring legacies of the last two-plus years, Yardi said.
NMDC was the big winner at PRSI Awards 2022
Mining major NMDC bagged the top spot in four categories of the Public Relations Awards 2022 presented by the Public Relations Society of India (PRSI).
- The awards were for its corporate website, annual report, layout and design of newsletter and CSR corporate video.
- The award were presented at the conference, which marked the PRSI Hyderabad Chapter’s Golden Jubilee, included participatory and thought-provoking workshops on the theme of Emerging Trends in Modern Public Relations.
Raghav Chadha, Ukrainian minister Fedorov in WEF’s Young Global Leaders list
Aam Aadmi Party leader Raghav Chadha, Edelweiss Mutual Fund CEO Radhika Gupta and Ukrainian Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Digital Transformation Mykhailo Fedorov were named by the World Economic Forum in its 2022 list of Young Global Leaders.
- The list also includes professor Yoichi Ochiai, musician and composer Wissam Joubran, health justice advocate Jessica Beckerman and NGO founder Zoya Lytvyn.
- Chadha, who was recently elected to Rajya Sabha after AAP’s massive victory in Punjab, was earlier his party’s MLA in the national capital.
- His fellow Indians on the list include athlete Manasi Joshi, Innov8 Coworking founder Ritesh Malik, BharatPe CEO Suhail Sameer, Sugar Cosmetics CEO Vineeta Singh and Global Himalayan Expedition CEO Jaideep Bansal.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
New Vessel ‘Urja Pravaha’ Inducted Into Indian Coast Guard
The Indian Coast Guard Ship (Auxiliary Barge) named Urja Pravaha has been inducted into the Indian Coast Guard at Gujarat’s Bharuch.
- Auxiliary Barge Urja Pravaha arrived in Kochi and will be under the operational command of Coast Guard District Headquarters-4 (Kerala and Mahe), in addition to auxiliary barge Urja Shrota, which was based here since 2017.
- Urja Prabha is 36.96 meter long with draft of 1.85 meters . It is designed to cargo ship fuel, aviation fuel and fresh water with a capacity of 50 tons, 10 tons and 40 tons respectively.
Russia has test-launched ‘Satan 2’ Sarmat missile
Russia has successfully tested a new intercontinental ballistic missile ‘Satan II’ that is capable of launching nuclear warheads anywhere across the globe, but the Pentagon has said it is not a threat to the United States or its allies.
- The ICBM, called the Sarmat and nicknamed Satan II by some NATO leaders, has been in development for some years with Putin announcing it back in 2018.
- The new heavy missile replaces the Soviet-era Voyevoda system and is expected to deploy with 10 or more warheads on each missile, according to the US Congressional Research Service.
Promising Table Tennis Player Vishwa Deenadayalan passes away
Vishwa Deenadayalan, an 18-year-old table tennis player from Tamil Nadu, died in a road accident while travelling from Guwahati to Shillong by taxi, the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) said.
- He was travelling in a car along with his three teammates from Guwahati to Shillong to participate in the 83rd Senior National and Inter-State Championships.
- He was part of the Tamizhaga Table Tennis Association (TTTA) State men’s team.
Kenya’s Former President Mwai Kibaki passes away
Former president of Kenya, Mwai Kibaki passed away at the age of 90. He led the country from 2002 to 2013.
- During his rule, more than 1,100 people died in bloody ethnic battles after disputed 2007 polls, but to prevent such unrest he adopted a new constitution with reforms.
- His rule was ruined by uncontrolled corruption and lavish spending on flagship projects which increased the country’s debt.
Noted writer Binapani Mohanty passes away
Eminent writer of Odisha and Padma Shri awardee (2020), Binapani Mohanty passed away at the age of 85.
- She was born in Berhampur and started her teaching career as a lecturer in Economy in 1960.
- Her many short stories have been translated into various languages (including Hindi, English, Kannada, Marathi). She had founded an organisation of Odia women writers named ‘Odisha Lekhika Sansad.’
Tamil Nadu to observe Minorities Rights Day annually on December 18
The Tamil Nadu government will observe December 18, every year, as Minorities Rights Day at the state level and about Rs 2.50 lakh will be earmarked for the purpose, Minister for Minorities Welfare and Non-Resident Tamils Welfare Gingee K S Masthan told the Assembly.
- The government, being the saviour of minorities, is striving tirelessly to promote the upliftment and economic advancement of the minorities through effective implementation of various development schemes and welfare measures.