Daily Current Affairs 25 & 26 December 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Manipur: CM N. Biren Singh launches upgraded Inner Line Permit (ILP) System portal
In Manipur, an upgraded Inner Line Permit (ILP) System portal was launched by Chief Minister N. Biren Singh.
- The upgraded portal has been launched considering the importance of saving indigenous population of the State and also for the convenience of visitors from outside the State for applying ILP. The portal is being opened for Deputy Commissioners and Labour Commissioners of Manipur.
- The portal had been launched with new development added to the earlier ILP system. With the help of an upgraded portal, the ILPs can now be issued by Deputy Commissioners and Labour Commissioners too through online.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI mandates banks in country to renew their locker agreements with existing locker customers by Jan 1
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has mandated banks in the country to renew their locker agreements with existing locker customers by 1st January.
- All the existing locker depositors are required to furnish proof of eligibility for a renewed locker arrangement. They are required to sign a renewal agreement before the specified date. RBI’s revised guidelines were first released on August 2021.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NSE gets Sebi nod to set up Social Stock Exchange
Leading stock exchange NSE said it has received in-principle approval from capital markets regulator Sebi to set-up a social stock exchange as a separate segment.
- The framework for the Social Stock Exchange (SSE), which was notified in July, was developed on the basis of the recommendations of a working group and technical group constituted by the regulator.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGETS
Jio to acquire Reliance Infratel for Rs 3,720 crore
Reliance Projects and Property Management Services, a subsidiary of telecom major Reliance Jio has deposited Rs 3,720 crore in an SBI escrow account to acquire mobile tower and fibre assets of Reliance Infratel.
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) gave an approval to Jio for the acquisition of Reliance Infratel (RITL) in November.
- The funds will be distributed among lenders once the inter-creditor dispute over the distribution of resolution funds is settled.
FIFA World Cup rankings: Argentina climbs to second after winning Qatar 2022; Brazil still on top
The FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 has just crowned a new champion in Argentina (2nd, plus 1), but that has not stopped Brazil (1st, -) staying out front in the last FIFA/Cola-Cola World Ranking of the year.
- A Seleção holds a narrow lead over La Albiceleste, which would have jumped ahead of its neighbour and rival had it beaten France (3rd, plus 1) in World Cup final in normal or extra time.
- Dropping out of it is Belgium (4th, minus 2), after it failed to reach the knockout phase at Qatar 2022. England (5th, -) complete the top five.
- On the back of its respective runs to the last four of the World Cup, Croatia (7th, plus 5) and Morocco (11th, plus 11) have both made spectacular jumps up the ranking. The Atlas Lions are the year’s highest climbers in fact, having collected no fewer than 142 points over the last 12 months.
- Similarly, Australia (27th, plus 11) and Cameroon (33rd, plus 10) have World Cup performances to thank for their climbs of 11 and 10 places respectively, while Saudi Arabia (49th, plus 2), which beat Argentina in the group phase in Qatar move into the top 50, as do Burkina Faso (50th, plus 4).
English all-rounder Sam Curran becomes most expensive IPL player ever
Sam Curran became the most expensive player in IPL history with Punjab Kings agreeing to pay £1.85m for the England all-rounder’s services.
- Curran starred in England’s successful T20 World Cup campaign this year, picking up the player of the tournament award after collecting 13 wickets, including a spell of three for 12 against Pakistan in the final.
- On a day of big spending at the IPL auction in Kerala, the all-rounder sparked a bidding war with Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals among the teams vying for his services before Punjab came out on top, agreeing a fee which eclipses the £1.6m Rajasthan paid for the South Africa all-rounder Chris Morris in 2021.
Sitiveni Rabuka becomes Fiji’s new Prime Minister
Sitiveni Rabuka has become Fiji’s prime minister after a coalition of parties voted to install him, signalling an end to Frank Bainimarama’s 16 years in power.
- The appointment of Rabuka ended 10 days of uncertainty after an election delivered a hung parliament. Fiji’s Social Democratic Liberal party (Sodelpa) held the balance of power and voted to form a coalition with Rabuka’s People’s Alliance and the National Federation party. Secret parliamentary vote for prime minister was closer than had been expected, with 28 members of parliament voting for Rabuka while 27 voted in support of Bainimarama.
PV Sindhu 12th highest-paid female athlete in world, only Indian and badminton player in top 25
India’s badminton star PV Sindhu is the only Indian player in the top 25 in Forbes’ annual list of the highest-paid female athletes in the world. Sindhu, the 2016 Rio Olympics silver medallist, occupies the 12th spot in the list. Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka tops the list. The 27-year-old made 7 million US Dollars of her earnings, having won a singles gold and doubles silver at the Commonwealth Games earlier this year in Birmingham.
- For the third straight year, Osaka tops Forbes’ annual list of the World’s highest-paid female athletes. The list is dominated by tennis players once again.
- The list’s Top 10, includes Serena Williams, Emma Raducanu, Iga Swiatek, Venus Williams, Coco Gauff and Jessica Pegula. For the record, Osaka and Serena are the only two women who are placed in the Top 50 of Forbes’ list of the world’s highest-paid athletes.
First Veer Bal Diwas observed to commemorate martyrdom of Guru Gobind Singh’s two young sons
Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in a historic programme marking Veer Bal Diwas at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium in New Delhi.
- On the day of the Prakash Purab of Sri Guru Gobind Singh on 9th January this year, Mr. Modi had announced that 26th December will be observed as Veer Bal Diwas to mark the martyrdom of Sri Guru Gobind Singh’s sons Sahibzadas Baba Zorawar Singh and Baba Fateh Singh.
- During the programme, the Prime Minister attended a Shabad Kirtan performed by about three hundred Baal Kirtanis. He will also flag off a march-past by about three thousand children on the occasion.