Daily Current Affairs 27 December 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Former PM Vajpayee’s grand memorial to be built in Gwalior
A huge statue of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee will be installed and a research centre will be built as part his grand memorial in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has said.
- He was speaking at the ‘Gwalior Gaurav Diwas’ function to mark the late leader’s 98th birth anniversary.
- Chouhan told the gathering that a grand memorial of Vajpayee will be built in Gwalior, which will have an e-library and a research centre to highlight his life and works through audio visual medium.The work on the project will start soon.
Anurag Thakur inaugurates Sports Science Centre in Udupi
Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Thakur inaugurated the Sports Science Centre at M.G. Stadium in Udupi. This Sports Science Centre will bring together sports scientists and athletes. Many more sports science centers will come in near future, said Union Minister during its inauguration.
- Speaking on the occasion, he said that the government is making efforts to transform India into a sporting soft power. It has increased the sports budget from 854 crores before 2014 to 3,100 crore rupees this year and spent 2700 crore rupees to enhance sporting infrastructure as against 630 crore rupees earlier. For Khelo India Games, the government is spending 3,136 crore rupees for a period of five years.
CJI constitutes committee to conduct accessibility audit of SC premises
In a bid to remove the barriers to access, Chief Justice of India D Y Chandrachud has constituted a committee headed by apex court judge Justice S Ravindra Bhat to conduct an audit of “physical and functional access” of the top court premises to make them disabled friendly.
- The ‘Supreme Court Committee on Accessibility’ has been given a broad mandate to prepare and release a questionnaire for persons with disabilities, including the apex court employees, advocates, litigants and interns, who visit the top court premises to assess the nature and extent of problems they face.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI, Axis, ICICI Bank to go live on Rupay Credit card on UPI by March
Leading credit card issuers SBI Card, ICICI Bank, and Axis Bank are expected to go live on RuPay credit card on UPI feature by March.
- The move will boost daily transaction values on this feature, which stand at Rs 50 lakh a day now, the chief exectuive officer of National Payments Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- In June, the Reserve Bank of India allowed linking of credit cards to UPI, which was thus far being used as a “pay now” facility. The move will provide additional convenience to users and enhance the scope of digital payments.
Ganji Kamala V Rao appointed as CEO of FSSAI
Shri Ganji Kamala V Rao IAS has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the Food Safety & Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). Shri Ganji Kamala V Rao IAS is currently serving as the Managing Director of Indian Tourism Development Corporation Ltd.
- Senior bureaucrats Santosh Kumar Yadav was appointed as chairman of National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), according to a Personnel ministry order.
- Subhasish Panda, a 1997-batch IAS officer of the Himachal Pradesh cadre, has been appointed as Delhi Development Authority (DDA) vice chairman.
- Ganji Kamala V Rao has been named Chief Executive Officer, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Hitesh Kumar S Makwana has been named as Additional Secretary of Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Rajneesh, a 1997-batch IAS officer of the Himachal Pradesh cadre, will be additional secretary and development commissioner of the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, the order said.
SBI Funds Management appoints Shamsher Singh as new MD, CEO of company
SBI Funds Management Ltd said it has appointed Shamsher Singh as managing director and chief executive officer of the company.
- Singh, who was deputy managing director at State Bank of India (SBI), has taken over the charge from Vinay M Tonse following his repatriation to the public sector lender,the asset management company said in a statement.
- Singh has more than 32 years of rich experience working with SBI in various verticals, including investment banking, treasury, corporate banking and branch banking.
Cyclist Swasti Singh receives 30th Ekalabya Puraskar
International cyclist Swasti Singh has been honoured with the prestigious 30th Ekalabya Puraskar for the year 2022. The award is instituted by IMFA’s charitable wing, IMPaCT.
- Swasti received a cash award of Rs 5 lakh along with a citation at the Ekalabya Puraskar function held in Bhubaneswar.
- Mercurial cyclist Swasti has bagged two gold and as many silver medals at the national level. Swasti, who has represented the State in several national events and was credited with the best individual brilliance from April 1, 2020, to March 31, 2022, emerged as the clear winner this year.
Indian cuisine among the best in the world, 5th in global ranking
Indian cuisine has ranked 5th in TasteAtlas’ World’s Best Cuisine Awards 2022, receiving 4.54 out of five-star ratings. The Bulgaria-based food website rated “garam masala, ghee, malai, butter garlic naan, keema and 460 more” the best-rated food in India.
- Italian cuisine topped the list of the world’s best cuisines, followed by Greek cuisine (2nd), Spanish cuisine (3rd), and Japanese cuisine (4th), respectively.
- However, among the world’s best ‘traditional’ dishes, only Shahi Paneer from India made it under the top 50 ranking at the 28th spot.
- Shahi Paneer from Delhi’s Kake Da Hotel received 4.66 stars out of 5 in TasteAtlas world’s best dishes. Originating from Mughal’s cuisine, shahi paneer is a cheese curry that is prepared with paneer, onions, almond paste, and a rich, spicy tomato-cream sauce.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Piyush Goyal launches ‘right to repair’ portal, to end customer’s dependency on original manufacturers for repairs
Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Piyush Goyal has recently launched a host of new initiatives, including the right to repair portal and an NTH mobile app and opened new premises of National Consumer Helpline centre in Delhi.
- The Consumer Affairs Department and IIT (BHU), Varanasi has signed a memorandum of understanding and launched a capacity building programme of consumer commissions.
- On the ‘right to repair’ portal, manufacturers will share the manual of product details with customers so that they can either repair by self, by third parties, rather than depend on original manufacturers. Initially, mobile phones, electronic, consumer durables, automobile and farming equipment will be covered.
IIT Kanpur develops artificial heart to deal with acute cardiac problems
IIT Kanpur is ready with an artificial heart that would be of great help to people with acute cardiac problems.
- IIT Kanpur Director, Abhay Karandikar, said that the trial on animals would begin next year.
- Now heart transplant will be easy. Artificial hearts can be implanted in serious patients. IIT Kanpur and cardiologists from across the country have developed this artificial heart. Trial on animals will start from February or March. After success in the trial, transplantation can be done in humans in the next two years.