Daily Current Affairs 25 October for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India, Malaysia begin joint military exercise
A joint bilateral training exercise of Indian and Malaysian Armies has commenced in Meghalya’s Umroi Cantonment to enhance military capability for conduct of multi-domain operations in a sub-conventional scenario.
- The ‘Exercise Harimau Shakti 2023’, began and will continue till November 5 with the Malaysian contingent comprising troops from the 5th Royal Battalion of the Malaysian Army and the Indian contingent represented by a Battalion of the Rajput Regiment, a defence release said.
- The previous edition of the exercise was conducted in Pulai, Kluang, Malaysia in November 2022.
Tenure of National Commission for Safai Karmachari extended to March 31, 2025: Centre tells SC
The Centre has told the Supreme Court the current tenure of the National Commission for Safai Karmachari (NCSK) has been extended till March 31, 2025 and steps will be taken to fill up the vacant posts in the panel.
- The top court took note of the affidavit of the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment that besides extending the tenure of the panel, the chairman, vice-chairman and one more member have been appointed till March 31, 2025.
Mumbai 2nd most polluted major global city as air quality worsens
Mumbai’s run with bad air continued. It was the second most polluted city among 109 places tracked by IQAir, a Swiss technology company measuring air quality in real-time. Delhi was the sixth most polluted city. Beijing, meanwhile, took the top spot.
- The air quality index (AQI) score is based on the US system where a score of between 0-50 is good, 51-100 is moderate, 101-150 is unhealthy for sensitive groups, 151-200 is unhealthy, 201-300 is very unhealthy and >301 is hazardous.
- The concentration of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) in Mumbai was 14.7 times the World Health Organization (WHO) guideline of five micrograms per cubic metre. In Delhi, it was 9.8 times the guideline value.
Sri Lanka announces free visas for Indians to boost tourism
In a bid to boost tourism in the island nation which has been battling persisting high inflation, unemployment, and a deteriorating economy post the COVID-19 pandemic, Sri Lanka has announced visa-free entry for Indian tourists under its pilot project from March 2024.
- As announced by the country’s Foreign Affairs Minister, six other countries have been also added to the list from where tourists will be issued free visa entry including China, Russia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan, and Thailand.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Euro zone PMI hits lowest in nearly 3 years, stirs recession worries
Euro zone business activity took a surprise turn for the worse this month as demand fell in a broad-based downturn across the region, a survey showed, suggesting the bloc may slip into recession.
- HCOB’s flash euro zone Composite Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI), compiled by S&P Global and seen as a good guide to overall economic health, fell to 46.5 in October from September’s 47.2, its lowest since November 2020.
- Outside of the COVID-19 pandemic months it was the lowest reading since March 2013.
Unnati Hooda captures women’s singles title at Abu Dhabi Masters 2023
In a battle of future Badminton stars from India, Unnati Hooda beat Samiya Imad Farooqui to capture the women’s singles title at the Abu Dhabi Masters 2023.
- 16-year-old Unnati Hooda defeated the 20-year-old Samiya Imad Farooqui 21-16, 22-20. This is her second BWF Super 100 World Tour title. She became the youngest Indian to clinch a BWF title last year at 14 years of age.
Chetan Bhagat named brand ambassador of Henry Harvin Education
Henry Harvin Education, an ed-tech platform has onboarded Chetan Bhagat as its brand ambassador.
- This alliance represents a synergistic convergence of intellectual strength and educational quality, ready to reshape the landscape of skill development and professional progress.
Air Marshal Sadhna Saxena Nair takes charge as DG Hospital Services (Armed Forces); becomes 1st lady officer to hold the position
Air Marshal Sadhna Saxena Nair took over as the Director General Hospital Services (Armed Forces) on promotion to the rank of Air Marshal. She was previously the Principal Medical Officer at Training Command of the Indian Air Force (IAF) located at Bangalore.
- She is effectively only the second woman officer who has served throughout in the IAF to be promoted to the rank of Air Marshal; the first woman officer to achieve this was Air Marshal Padma Bandopadhyay (Retd).
- She is the recipient of the VishishtSeva Medal by the Hon’ble President of India, and has received CAS and AOC-in-C Commendations as well.
Lay’s ropes in MS Dhoni as its brand ambassador
PepsiCo India has roped in MS Dhoni as the brand ambassador for its potato chips brand Lay’s, riding on the cricketing fervour whipped up during the ongoing World Cup, which also coincides with the festival season.
- Lay’s has reintroduced Mahendra Singh Dhoni as its brand ambassador, starring in latest campaign – ‘No Lay’s, No Game.’This campaign global campaign has associated with football icons Thierry Henry and Lionel Messi in other markets.
Cyclone Hamoon weakens into deep depression over southeast Bangladesh, Mizoram
Cyclonic Storm Hamoon turned into a deep depression over southeast Bangladesh and adjoining Mizoram, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said in an update.
- The storm is likely to move northeastwards and weaken into a depression within the next six hours, further downgrading into a well-marked low-pressure area during the subsequent six hours.