Daily Current Affairs 27 September 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet approves umbrella scheme of Modernisation of Police Forces
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for implementation of umbrella scheme of “Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF)” for years 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- The financial outlay for the scheme over the three year’s period is Rs.25,060 crore, out of which the Central Government share will be Rs.18,636 crore and the States’ share will be Rs.6,424 crore.
Government launches Electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt System
Food Minister Ram Vilas Paswan has rolled out negotiable warehousing receipts in an electronic format that farmers can use to avail of bank credit easily.
- Negotiable warehouse receipt allows transfer of ownership of that commodity stored in a warehouse without having to deliver the physical commodity.
CARA launches monthly “Jan Sampark” Program to facilitate adoption
The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) of the Ministry of Women & Child Development has started a monthly “Jan Sampark” program to enable the public to have interaction with its officials and staff for seeking information related to Adoption as well as flagging their concerns. The first of its kind programme was held in New Delhi.
Retirement age of central govt doctors raised to 65 years
The government has decided to increase the retirement age of central government doctors including those working under the AYUSH ministry and in the railways to 65 years.
- The retirement age of doctors in some departments is 60 years and in some others, it is 62.
- In July, the government had given nod for the increase of retirement age of medical officers working in central armed police forces like the CRPF and BSF from 60 to 65 years.
- The retirement age of doctors working with Assam Rifles was also raised from 60 to 65 years.
3-day India Mobile Congress 2017 starts in New Delhi
The first ever mobile, Internet and technology event in India — India Mobile Congress 2017 has started in New Delhi from 27th September.
- India Mobile Congress is a dedicated platform for B2B and B2C interaction and developing a network with various experts from the industry. The exhibitors include Google, Reliance Jio, Qualcomm, BSNL, Airtel, and many other companies.
Saudi women will be allowed to drive in the kingdom in 2018
Saudi Arabia is all set to end the law, which made the Gulf nation the only country in the world to forbid female drivers, allowing women to drive. It has allowed women to drive car.
- Saudi Arabia was the only country in the world to ban women from driving.
- The decree is slated to take effect from June 2018.
ADB plans to increase annual lending up to $4 bn to India
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has planned to raise its annual lending to India to a maximum of $4 billion to support the country to accelerate inclusive economic transformation.
- ADB’s programme in India will focus on three main pillars of activity during a five-year period — boosting economic competitiveness to create more and well-paid jobs, improved access to infrastructure and services, and addressing climate change and improving climate resilience.
India is world’s 40th most competitive economy: WEF
India has been ranked as the 40th most competitive economy — slipping one place from last year’s ranking — on the World Economic Forum’s global competitiveness index, which is topped by Switzerland.
- On the list of 137 economies, Switzerland is followed by the US and Singapore in second and third places, respectively.
IDBI Bank sells 9 pc stake in Sidbi
State-owned IDBI Bank has sold 9 per cent stake in Small Industries Development Bank of India (Sidbi) for an undisclosed amount in a bid to mobilise funds by exiting non-core business. Earlier this week, the bank sold one per cent stake in Sidbi.
Air India ties up with PNB, IndusInd for Rs 3,250 cr loan
Air India has tied up with public sector lender Punjab National Bank and private lender IndusInd to secure loans to the tune of over Rs 3,000 crore for meeting working capital requirements.
Google acquires Cloud firm Bitium
Google has acquired Bitium, a company that provides enterprise customers with identity and access management solutions, including single sign-on (SS) and provisioning for Cloud applications.
India to host South Asian boxing Ch’ship in Guwahati
The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) has unveiled its 2017-18 calendar which includes the prestigious South Asian Championship to be held in Guwahati from December 6-10.
- This is the first time India will host the South Asian Championship, which will see a potential blockbuster clash against arch-rivals Pakistan besides other SAARC countries — Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, among others.
Sumit Nagal bags golds in men’s singles tennis event at Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games
Sumit Nagal bagged the men’s singles gold medal in the tennis event of Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games with a dominating win over compatriot Vijay Sundar Prashanth in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan
Angola swears in Joao Lourenco as president
Joao Lourenco has been sworn in as president of Angola, becoming the first new leader in the oil-rich southern African nation in almost four decades.
- Lourenco, 63, took over from Jose Eduardo dos Santos, who ruled the former Portuguese colony for 38 years.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
98-year-old man clears MA Economics exam in Bihar
Beating all odds, Raj Kumar Vaishya, a 98-year-old man has cleared the Masters in Economics examination from Patna’s Nalanda Open University (NOU).
Priyanka Chopra to be honoured at Variety’s Power of Women
After making India proud at several events, the annual ‘Variety Power of Women’ luncheon will honour global actress Priyanka Chopra, who is UNICEF’s Global Citizens Goodwill Ambassador, on October 13 at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons.
- The event is annually organised to honour Hollywood’s most philanthropic women, whose efforts have made a significant impact to their chosen charities and causes.
Priyanka is eighth highest paid TV actress, Sofia Vergara tops the list
According to Forbes, Priyanka Chopra came in at number eight as the ‘Quantico’ star made USD 10 million ( INR 65 crore) between June 1, 2016 and June 1, 2017, while ‘Modern Family’ star Sofia Vergara earned a whopping USD 41.5 million (Rs 271 crore) during the same period, topping the list for the sixth consecutive year.
Sebi chief Ajay Tyagi named among world’s top 10 regulators
Sebi Chairman Ajay Tyagi has been named among the top ten regulators in the world, according to a report. He has been ranked at the seventh position among the top 10 regulators worldwide
- The rankings are part of the World’s Most Influential People in Market Structure.
- The list of ten regulators is topped by European Union’s Commissioner (Competition) Margrethe Vestager
Veteran Bengali actor Dwijen Bandyopadhyay passes away
Veteran Bengali actor Dwijen Bandyopadhyay, a known name in theatre as well as cinema has passed away.
Former National women’s hockey coach Antony passes away
P.P. Antony, former national women’s hockey coach who also trained and taught coaches at the Bengaluru SAI centre, has passed away
World Tourism Day: 27 September
The World Tourism Day is celebrated across the world on 27th of September. Its purpose is to foster awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
- The World Tourism Day 2017 Theme is ‘Sustainable Tourism – a Tool for Development’.