Daily Current Affairs 28 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi launches India’s first dairy community radio Dudh Vani on April 19
Dairy farmers in Gujarat will get a voice, quite literally, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a community radio station (CRS) — Dudh Vani — dedicated to animal husbandry during his Gujarat tour. Set up by the Banaskantha District Cooperative Milk Producers’ Union or Banas Dairy, the Banas Dairy Community Radio station will connect over five lakh dairy farmers across 1,700 villages in the State.
- This is set to become the country’s first community radio station dedicated to the cattle-breeders.
Agra becomes first city to have vacuum-based sewer systems
Agra has become the first city in the country to have vacuum-based sewer systems. These vacuums would be used in public places.
- Agra Smart City officials told the media that the municipal corporation has linked 240 such houses near the Taj Mahal with vacuum-based sewers, where conventional sewer systems could not be used.
- These homes are connected to a vacuum-based sewer in a low-lying area. Around 112 chambers have been made in this region, in which the sensor is also installed. The vacuum sewer system will automatically issue a warning if there is a choke, or any other issue.
India’s first Amrit Sarovar prepared in UP’s Rampur
With the efforts of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath-led government in Uttar Pradesh, India`s first `Amrit Sarovar` has been completed in Rampur`s Gram Panchayat Patwai. Under the Amrit Sarovar initiative, 75 water bodies will be developed and rejuvenated in each district as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- A pond in Rampur has been cleaned and rejuvenated in a few weeks. Now this pond has become a big centre of tourism in the rural area. Seventy-five ponds in Rampur were selected to be developed as Amrit Sarovar. Out of the selected ponds, the work of pond of village panchayat Patwai of development block Shahbad was completed.
Jamtara becomes country’s first district with library in every village
Jamtara in Jharkhand has become the only district in the country where all gram panchayats have community libraries. This district with a population of about eight lakh has a total of 118 gram panchayats under six blocks and each panchayat has a well-equipped library which is open for students from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
NITI Aayog releases draft battery-swapping policy
To expedite large-scale adoption of EVs, the government think tank NITI Aayog has released the draft battery-swapping policy targeted at electric two-wheelers and three-wheelers, proposing incentives for electric vehicles with swappable batteries, subsidies to firms manufacturing swappable batteries, technical and testing requirements and reduction of GST, among other things.
- Battery swapping involves exchanging discharged batteries for charged ones, delinking the vehicle and fuel and hence, reducing the upfront cost of the vehicles.
- The draft policy, which comes amid rising concerns over safety of electric vehicles following a spate of incidents of electric two-wheelers catching fire, recommends prioritising all metropolitan cities with a population greater than four million for development of battery-swapping networks under the first phase (1-2) years, followed by all major cities such as state capitals, UT headquarters and cities with population greater than 5 lakh in the next 2-3 years.
Netflix & GoI collaborate for video series on ‘women change-makers’
The Union Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry announced its collaboration with OTT platform Netflix to launch a short video series documenting the lives of “women change-makers” who have “broken the glass ceiling” in different fields.
- I&B Minister Anurag Thakur said the idea behind this collaboration is to “develop a creative ecosystem by organising training programmes” for film-makers across the country.
- Three short videos were released at the launch that demonstrated the achievements of Basanti Devi, a Padma-award winning environmentalist known for her efforts to save the Kosi river, Anshu Jamsenpa, a Padma Shri awardee who scaled Mount Everest twice in 2017, and Harshini Kanhekar, India’s first female firefighter.
India to host accountants World Congress for the first time in 118 years
Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) is set to host 21st World Congress of Accountants (WCOA), the kumbh of accountants, for the first time in 118 years of its existence, ICAI president Debashis Mitra said.
- The event will be held from November 18 to 21 after outbidding France.
- About 6000 top accountants from 130 countries will participate in the programme physically.The event will take place in newly built Jio World Convention Centre in Mumbai, he said.
Atal Pension Yojana Total Enrolments Cross 4 Crore
Government’s social security scheme Atal Pension Yojana (APY) has crossed total enrollments of 4.01 crore as on March 2022 out of which more than 99 lakh APY accounts were opened during the last financial year itself.
- The scheme had seen this tremendous success due to the active participation of all categories of Banks, a government statement highlighting the latest data on the pension scheme said.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Flipkart Signs MoU with Bengal Govt to Support Artisans, Weavers And Handicraft Makers
Flipkart has signed a memorandum of understanding with the West Bengal government to train and support local artisans, weavers and handicraft makers to leverage its e-commerce platform to scale up their businesses nationally. The agreement was signed with the state’s micro, small and medium enterprises and textiles department.
Reliance Industries becomes first Indian company to hit Rs 19 lakh m-cap
Reliance Industries Limited has become the first Indian company to hit the Rs 19 lakh crore market valuation mark in intra-day trade. The market heavyweight stock jumped 1.85 per cent to its record high of Rs 2,827.10 during the day on the BSE. It finally settled flat at Rs 2,777.90, up 0.08 per cent.
Vishakha Mulye to be new CEO of Aditya Birla Capital
Vishakha Mulye will be the new chief executive officer (CEO) of Aditya Birla Capital Ltd (ABCL). Mulye, executive director of ICICI Bank, will succeed Ajay Srivinasan, present MD & CEO of ABCL. She will join ABCL on June 01, 2022.
- Mulye will work as chief executive officer (designate) with an overlap of one month with Ajay Srinivasan to ensure smooth transition of leadership. She will take charge of her role as the CEO of Aditya Birla Capital Limited post this period of overlap.
N Chandrasekaran formally takes charge as chairman of Tata Digital
Tata Sons executive chairman N Chandrasekaran has now formally taken charge as chairman of Tata Digital which had announced the launch of its much-hyped super app Tata Neu on April 7.
- For Chandrasekaran, who was reappointed as the chairman of Tata Sons for another five years in February, Tata Digital has been his brain child since he took charge as Tata Sons chairman.
AP Abdullahkutty elected chairperson of Haj Committee of India
AP Abdullahkutty has been elected as the chairperson of the Haj Committee of India, while for the first time, two women – Munnawari Begum and Mafuja Khatun – have been chosen as its vice chairpersons, the government said.
Former Women’s Hockey Team Captain Elvera Britto passes away
Former Indian women’s hockey team captain Elvera Britto has passed away due to old age-related problems. She was 81.
- Elvera, the eldest of the three famous Britto sisters (the others are Rita and Mae), ruled the domestic circuit from 1960 to 1967, guiding Karnataka to seven national titles.
- In 1965, Elvera became only the second women hockey player to be conferred with the Arjuna Award after Anne Lumsden (1961).
Structural Biologist Mamannamana Vijayan Passes Away
Molecular bio-physicist and structural biologist professor Mamannamana Vijayan passed away in Bengaluru, said the Indian National Science Academy (INSA). He was 80.
- The health of Vijayan, who was former president of the INSA during 2008-2010, had deteriorated during the past two days, the academy said on social media.
HarperCollins announces the release of CHINESE SPIES From Chairman Mao to Xi Jinping by Roger Faligot
Published by HarperCollins India, ‘Chinese Spies: From Chairman Mao to Xi Jinping’ has been authored by Roger Faligot. It is a book that gives a credible, detailed, and accessible account of Chinese intelligence agencies, about which next to nothing is known.
Naveen Patnaik released 2 books “The Magic of Mangalajodi” & “My Research Works on Sikh History and Philosophy”
Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik released 2 books, a coffee table book titled “The Magic of Mangalajodi” by Avinash Khemka; and a compilation of the Sikh history of eastern India titled “My Research Works On Sikh History & Philosophy”, authored by Abinash Mahapatra. The coffee table book “The Magic of Mangalajodi” provides a bird’s eye view of Mangalajodi in Chilika lake through various images and descriptions.