Daily Current Affairs 27 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Palli becomes India’s first ‘carbon neutral panchayat’
The nondescript hamlet of Palli in Jammu and Kashmir’s border district of Samba has become the country’s first ‘carbon neutral panchayat’ with Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi dedicating to the nation a 500 KV solar plant, installed in a record time of nearly three weeks.
- In all 1,500 solar panels put up in a total area of 6,408 square metres will provide clean electricity to 340 houses in the model panchayat under the central government’s ‘Gram Urja Swaraj’ programme, officials said. The electricity generated will be distributed to the village, having a daily requirement of 2,000 units, through the local power grid station.
Civil Aviation Ministry & Himachal Govt Signed MoU for Nagchala Airport Development
The Ministry of Civil Aviation and Govt. of Himachal Pradesh have signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) for the development of a Green Field Airport in Nagchala, Mandi District of Himachal Pradesh.
- There are 3 airports i.e. Shimla, Kullu, & Kangra, and 5 heliports i.e. Kangnidhar, Shimla, Rampur, Baddi, and SASE(Manali) in Himachal Pradesh that are developed or being developed which would give a massive boost to the tourism industry of the state once completed.
Karnataka govt. launches SAANS for early detection of pneumonia
Karnata Health department launched ‘Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully’ (SAANS), a campaign to ensure greater awareness and early detection of pneumonia in children under five. Pneumonia is a lung infection caused by bacterial, viral or fungal infection.
Manipur celebrates Khongjom Day at Khongjom War Memorial Complex
In Manipur, rich tributes were paid to the brave sons of the state who made supreme sacrifice fighting against the British to protect the freedom of Manipur in the battle of Khongjom during the 1891 Anglo-Manipuri War.
- The state-level Khongjom Day celebration was held at Khongjom War Memorial Complex at Khebaching of Thoubal district in which Governor La Ganesan and Chief Minister N. Biren Singh were present along with the public. Manipur celebrates the Khongjom Day every year on 23rd of April remembering Manipuri warriors including Major Paona Brajabashi who fought against the British.
BrahMos missile successfully tested from Navy’s INS Delhi, IAF’s Sukhoi-30 MKI
Different variants of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile were test-fired successfully from the Indian Navy’s frontline guided-missile destroyer INS Delhi and Indian Air Force (IAF)’s frontline fighter jet Sukhoi-30 MKI.
- Meanwhile, the Indian Air Force also undertook live firing of the BrahMos missile from a Sukhoi-30 MkI aircraft on the Eastern seaboard.
CSIR inks MoU with iCreate to harness India’s tech strength
In agreement has been signed between CSIR and iCreate, India’s largest institution for transforming start-ups based on tech innovation into businesses, to harness the country’s technological strength, the science and technology ministry said.
- Under the MoU, CSIR and iCreate intend to establish a collaborative support system for promising tech start-ups by making combined resources available for entrepreneurs and innovators in the country.
India participated as Guest of honour at the Paris Book Festival 2022
India is designated as the Guest of Honour Country at the Paris Book Festival 2022 being organized from 21st to 24th April, 2022 as announced under the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi – President Emmanuel Macron Joint Statement released in 2018 during the French President’s visit to New Delhi.
- Union Education Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan expressing satisfaction said that India’s participation as guest of honour at the Paris Book Festival 2022 will serve as a platform to celebrate our literary and linguistic diversity.
- The India Pavilion which has been designed by National Institute of Design (NID), houses more than 15 digital and physical exhibitions displaying over 400 books published in various Indian languages representing the works of 65 Indian publishers.
BANKING & FINANCE
Airtel Payments Bank, IndusInd Bank tie up to offer FDs with up to 6.5% interest
Airtel Payments Bank announced its partnership with IndusInd Bank to offer fixed deposits for its customers. The payments bank’s customers can open FDs starting from ₹500 up to ₹1.9 lakh in few minutes through a digital process on the Airtel Thanks mobile application.
- Airtel Payments Bank said the savings account customers will get a yearly interest rate of up to 6.5% and senior citizens will get an additional 0.5% on all fixed deposits.
Suryoday SFB partners Kyndryl to drive digital, IT transformation
Suryoday Bank will partner Kyndryl to drive its technology transformation program, improve operational efficiency, and increase digital banking adoption among its customers as part of a five-year transformation deal.
- Kyndryl will provide advisory and implementation services to the bank to deploy and support a new core banking system and integrate with digital channels to deliver an agile banking platform that accelerates retail business growth and enhances the bank’s customer experience.
SBI Card Partners With TCS To Accelerate Its Digital Transformation
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is expanding its strategic partnership with SBI Cards and Payments Services Ltd., India’s largest pure-play credit card issuer, to power the latter’s next leg of digital transformation. The new engagement is built on a decade-long partnership.
- In the run up to SBI Card’s blockbuster IPO in 2020, TCS had helped the company transform its core cards sourcing platform and digitized a significant portion of the process.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Gautam Adani overtakes Warren Buffett to become 5th richest in the world: Forbes
Adani Group Chairman Gautam Adani has become the world’s fifth-richest person after he overtook veteran investor Warren Buffett, according to Forbes data.
- According to Forbes’ Real-Time Billionaires List, Adani’s wealth stood at $122.2 billion, racing past Buffett’s $120. billion.
- There are now only four people on the planet richer than Adani, according to Forbes’ real-time billionaire tracker. They are: Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates (worth an estimated $130.2 billion), French luxury goods king Bernard Arnault ($167.9 billion), Amazon founder Jeff Bezos ($170.2 billion) and Tesla and SpaceX chief Elon Musk ($269.7 billion).
At $76.6 billion, India is third highest military spender in world, says report
India was the third-highest military spender in the world behind the US and China as the global defence expenditure reached an all-time high of $2.1 trillion in 2021, hitting record levels despite the coronavirus pandemic, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) said.
- According to data published by SIPRI, the top five military spenders—the United States, China, India, the United Kingdom, and Russia—accounted for 62 per cent of the global military expenditure.
- SIPRI said India’s military spending, amounting to $76.6 billion in 2021, grew by 0.9 per cent from 2020 and by 33 per cent from 2012.
Prasar Bharati signs MoU with Public Broadcaster of Argentina
India and Argentina are strategic partners that share cordial relations and developmental partnerships in the areas of political, economic, scientific and technological cooperation.
- In a landmark tie-up, Prasar Bharati has signed an MoU with the Public Broadcaster of Argentina Radio Television Argentina (RTA) for collaboration in the field of broadcasting.
- The MoU encompasses a range of fronts in Media and Broadcasting that is set to exemplify the communication and transmission networking of both nations.
Ravi Dahiya scripts history, completes hat-trick of gold medals at Asian Wrestling Championships
Tokyo Olympics silver medallist Ravi Kumar Dahiya became the first Indian male wrestler to win 3 gold medals at the Asian Championships when he finished on the top step of the podium in the 57kg category in Mongolia.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya won the gold medal bout in the men’s 57kg freestyle category, beating Kazakhstan’s Rakhat Kalzhan on technical superiority. Ravi had won gold at the 2020 edition of the Asian Wrestling Championships in Delhi and in Almaty last year.
Max Verstappen, Elaine Thompson-Herah win top honours at Laureus Sports Awards 2022
Formula One world champion Max Verstappen and Jamaican Olympic sprinter Elaine Thompson-Herah have been named Laureus World Sportsman and Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year in 2022.
The full list of Winners is:
- Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award: Max Verstappen
- Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year Award: Elaine Thompson-Herah
- Laureus World Team of the Year Award: Italy men’s football team
- Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year Award: Emma Raducanu
- Laureus World Comeback of the Year Award: Sky Brown
- Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability Award: Marcel Hug
- Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year Award: Bethany Shriever
- Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award: Tom Brady
- Laureus Academy Exceptional Achievement Award: Robert Lewandowski
- Laureus Sporting Icon Award: Valentino Rossi
- Laureus Sport for Good Award: Lost Boyz Inc.
- Laureus Sport for Good Society Award: Real Madrid Foundation
- Laureus Athlete Advocate of the Year Award: Gerald Asamoah and the Black Eagles
Formula 1: Red Bull`s Max Verstappen wins Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix
Formula One champion Max Verstappen dominated in a Red Bull rout of Ferrari at the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix.
- Verstappen won from the pole, logged the fastest lap and picked up his second win of the season while leading teammate Sergio Perez to the first one-two Red Bull finish since Malaysia in 2016.
Sahitya Akademi Awards- 2021 conferred to 24 eminent writers, playwrights and novelists
As many as twenty-four eminent writers, playwrights and novelists have been conferred Sahitya Akademi Awards- 2021. These awards have been provided for best writings in twenty-four Indian languages. Sahitya Akademi president DR. Chandrashekhar Kambar gave away the awards to them and handed a cheque of one lakh rupees, a shawl and memento to each of them.
- Those awarded with the Sahitya Akademi Awards are- Eminent Assamese novelist Anuradha sarma for her novel- Iyat Ekhan Aronya Asil, Bengali writer Bratya Basu, Bodo Poet Dr. Devakanta Ramchiary, Dogri Fiction writer Raj Rahi, English writer Namita Gokhale, Gujrati Poet Yagnesh Dave, Hindi playwright Daya Prakash Sinha and many more.
Former Meghalaya CM J D Rymbai passes away
Former Meghalaya Chief Minister, J D Rymbai has passed away. The death has cast a spell of gloom in the hill state.
- Rymbai was a great statesman, adored by the people he served.