Daily Current Affairs 28 November for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Barda Wildlife Sanctuary is set to become the second home for Asiatic lions
After Gir National Park and Sanctuary, the Barda Wildlife Sanctuary (BWLS) is set to become the second home to Asiatic lions. The Gujarat Forest Department presented its proposal to make BWLS the second home to the lions as part of “Project Lion @ 2047”.
- The Asiatic lions at present are restricted to Gir National Park and Sanctuary but have been occasionally venturing out in nearby forests and human settlements due to increased population. The population of lions increased from 523 in 2015 to 674 in in 2020 and a large number of them have settled out of the protected areas.
NATPOLREX-IX: Indian Coast Guard’s Pollution Response Exercise
The 9th National Level Pollution Response Exercise (NATPOLREX-IX) was carried out by the Indian Coast Guard in Vadinar, Gujarat. This event aimed to assess the readiness and coordination of various agencies in responding to a marine oil spill, as per the National Oil Spill Disaster Contingency Plan (NOSDCP).
- The exercise saw participation from representatives of central and coastal state governments, ports, oil handling agencies, and more than 31 foreign observers and 80 delegates.
Madhya Pradesh gets India’s largest tiger reserve in Damoh, to be operational in next two to three months
The Central government has approved a proposal to merge the two wildlife sanctuaries in Madhya Pradesh to create the largest tiger reserve in the country spanning 2,300 square kilometres.
- This development follows the central government’s recent notification approving the merging of the Noradehi Sanctuary and the Durgavati Sanctuary.
- The establishment of the largest tiger reserve in India is expected to significantly boost the local economy and enhance the tourism prospects of Damoh.
Merriam-Webster: Word Of The Year For 2023 is ‘authentic’
With controversies surrounding ‘deepfake’ videos making headlines, Merriam-Webster Dictionary recently disclosed some of the most searched words of the year 2023. The revelation, made by editor Peter Sokolowski highlighted ‘deepfake’ as one of the top searches, but the word of the year was declared to be “authentic.”
- Merriam-Webster’s word of the year for 2023 is “authentic.” “Authentic,” with meanings such as “not false or imitation” and “true to one’s own personality,” proved challenging to define precisely, prompting many to consult the dictionary.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Sebi reduces minimum issue size for social stock exchange to Rs 50 lakh
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has granted approval for Not for Profit Organisations (NPOs) to enhance their fundraising capabilities through the social stock exchange. In a significant move, the regulator is introducing flexibility measures to facilitate this process.
- To support NPOs on the social stock exchange, SEBI has decided to decrease the minimum issue size for public issuance of Zero Coupon Zero Principal Instruments (ZCZP) from Rs 1 crore to Rs 50 lakh.
- This reduction aims to make fundraising more accessible for NPOs, fostering a conducive environment for social impact initiatives.
S&P Global revises growth forecast up for FY24 but cuts for FY25
S &P Global Ratings said India’s economy in FY24 will grow at a faster clip than it previously projected before hitting a slower-than-estimated trajectory in the next financial year. The rating agency revised the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth projection for financial year 2024 to 6.4% from 6% earlier on the back of strong domestic tailwinds.
- However, it lowered the growth projection for financial year 2025 to 6.4% from 6.9% earlier.This reduction comes on the back of expectations of growth slowing in the second half of the year amid subdued global growth, a higher base and a lagged impact of interest rate hikes effected by the Reserve Bank of India.
Italy defeat Australia to win Davis Cup for first time since 1976
Italy fulfilled their potential as one of the most promising tennis nations in the world by defeating Australia 2-0 to become Davis Cup champions for the first time since 1976. The world number four clinched victory in the second singles rubber after Matteo Arnaldi dug deep to beat Alexei Popyrin 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 in the opening clash.
- Italy had booked their place in the final of Davis Cup 2023 after defeating Novak Djokovic’s Serbia, and Matteo Arnaldi again showed the country’s determination as he opened the final, which was held in the Spanish city of Malaga, with a tense 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 win over Alexei Popyrin.
Max Verstappen beats Leclerc to victory in Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Formula One champion a record-extending 19th victory of the campaign and 54th overall to move into third on the all-time list. Max Verstappen’s outstanding season ended with a comfortable victory at the Abu Dhabi.
- Verstappen finished ahead of Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Mercedes driver George Russell, and also collected a bonus point for the fastest lap. His 54th career win moved him one ahead of former Red Bull great Sebastian Vettel, with only Michael Schumacher (91) and Lewis Hamilton (103) left ahead of him.
NHPC conferred 2nd prize under ‘Annual Report’ category of ‘PRSI National Awards 2023’
NHPC Limited, India’s premier hydropower company, has won the 2 nd prize under the ‘Annual Report’ category of ‘PRSI National Awards 2023’. The award recognizes the overall high-quality, layout and design of NHPC Annual Report 2022-23.
- The award was presented during the International Public Relations Festival organized by Public Relations Society of India (PRSI) during 25 th to 27 th November 2023 in New Delhi.