Daily Current Affairs 28 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Dr Harsh Vardhan launches ‘TB Harega Desh Jeetega’ Campaign
Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched the new TB Harega Desh Jeetega Campaign, along with the National TB Prevalence Survey.
- The Union Health Minister also flagged off a van for the National TB Prevalence Survey. In all, 25 such vans will be part of the prevalence survey, which shall take 6 months and be carried out across the country. This shall present national and state level data, which will be used as a policy tool for further interventions.
Jitendra Singh launches CPGRAMS of Department of Posts in New Delhi
Minister for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension Dr Jitendra Singh launched Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System, CPGRAMS of Department of Posts in New Delhi.
- CPGRAMS is an on-line web-enabled system developed by NIC, in association with Directorate of Public Grievance and Department of Reforms and Public Grievances. Based on web technology, the system primarily aims to enable submission of Grievances by citizens from anywhere and anytime.
New Centre of CIPET will soon be set up at Medak in Telangana: Sadananda Gowda
Union Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister D V Sadananda Gowda announced that a new Centre of the Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology (CIPET) will soon be set up at Medak in Telangana state.
Delhi HC launches official mobile app for lawyers, litigants
The Delhi High Court launched an official mobile application for providing digital access of its services to lawyers and litigants.
- The application provides details of case status, display board, cause list and access to other important links of the high court website.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates 16th Global SME Business Summit
Union Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises and Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 16th Global SME Business Summit 2019 in New Delhi. He said that reducing the cost of capital, logistics and power are crucial for making the Indian MSME sector globally competitive.
- The Summit is organized every year by Ministry of MSME and Confederation of Indian Industries (CII). The theme this year is Making Indian MSMEs Globally Competitive.
Rajnath launches warship Nilgiri in Mumbai
Union Defense Minister Rajnath Singh launched the warship Nilgiri, which is the first ship of Project 17A in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The stealth frigate, Nilgiri, is made with the co-ordination of Mazagon Dockyard Limited and Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers with the Indian Navy, DRDO, and other public and private partners.
The World University of Design hosted 3rd – edition of Global Goals Jam
World University of Design (WUD) in Sonipat, Haryana – India’s first and only University dedicated to education in the creative domain, successfully concluded the India edition of the special two-day global event focusing on design thinking and service design methodologies – Global Goals Jam 3.0 (GGJ).
- This year’s theme focuses on the growing issue of #eWaste. It is in-line with #SDG12 – Responsible consumption and ethical production.
Union Agriculture Minister inaugurates Rural Investors and Start-up Conclave 2019
Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated Rural Investors and Start-up Conclave (RISC) 2019 at National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR), Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The purpose of this conclave is to generate new ideas and also see how the government can address the challenges faced by the new startups in rural areas.
Bengaluru Airport installs statue of elephant ahead of Dasara festival
In a joint initiative, Bangalore International Airport Limited and Department of Tourism, Government of Karnataka have installed a big statue of an elephant in front of Bengaluru airport ahead of Dasara festival.
- The statue is placed to experience the ecstatic feeling of Mysore Dasara ‘habba’ procession.
- As per the schedule, this year the famous ‘Mysuru Dasara’ festival will be taking place from September 29 to October 8.
HDFC Bank Is India’s Most Valuable Brand For Sixth Straight Year
HDFC Bank, India’s largest private lender by market value has become the nation’s most valuable brand for the sixth year in a row in 2019.
- Life Insurance Corporation of India and Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. were ranked second and third, retaining their positions from last year.
PM Modi addresses 1st India-Caribbean leaders summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi met the leaders of the Caribbean Community and Common Market during the first-ever India-Caricom leaders’ summit in New York. The meet focused on fighting climate change and increasing India’s participation with the grouping.
India announces 12 million dollar grant for high impact developmental projects in Pacific Island countries
Prime Minister Narendra Modi met leaders of the Pacific Islands Developing States (PSIDS) on the sidelines of the UNGA session in New York. Prime Minister highlighted the need for development policies to be inclusive and sustainable to reduce inequality and contribute to empowerment and improvement of the quality of people’s lives.
- PM Modi announced allocation of 12 million US Dollar grant towards the implementation of high impact developmental project in the area of their choice.
- In addition, a concessional Line of Credit of 150 Million dollars which can be availed by the PSIDS for undertaking solar, renewable energy and climate-related projects based on each country’s requirement was announced.
Nepal Central Bank releases 3 coins to mark Guru Nanak Dev’s birth anniversary
The Central Bank of Nepal released three coins to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sikh Guru Nanak Dev. These are the coins with denomination of NPR (Nepali Rupees) 100, 1000 and 2500.
- The coins possess monetary value and its sale will start from September 30
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI initiates prompt corrective action for Lakshmi Vilas Bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has initiated prompt corrective action for the troubled Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB), a day after the private lender said that the Economic Offences Wing of Delhi Police is probing allegations of cheating and criminal breach of trust against its directors of the board.
PNB launches Preventive Vigilance portal
Punjab National Bank launched a first of its kind Preventive Vigilance portal to facilitate its staff members to check procedural lapses and promote good practices.
- Besides other activities, such as inauguration of e-pledge mission, social outreach through technological platforms for promoting the central theme of ‘Integrity – A way of Life’, the bank introduced technology based solutions through the Preventive Vigilance (PV) portal.
Hyundai, Bank of Baroda tie up for vehicle finance
Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) has signed an agreement with Bank of Baroda to be the preferred financier for its dealers and consumers.
- Under the agreement, the bank will provide detailed financing structure for both dealers and consumers, further enhancing its presence across network of Hyundai Motor India Ltd.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
PNB MetLife, Religare Health tie up
PNB MetLife India Insurance Co. Ltd. has tied-up with Religare Health Insurance to offer a product that would cover health, death and illness. It will be a seamless integration [exercise] to ensure that it comes as a single policy to a customer.
India rises 4 places to 44th rank in world digital competitiveness rankings
India has advanced four places to 44th position in terms of digital competitiveness in the world as the country has made improvement in terms of knowledge and future readiness to adopt and explore digital technologies, according to IMD World Digital Competitiveness Ranking 2019 (WDCR).
- India rose from 48th place in 2018 to 44th rank this year as the country has improved overall in all factors — knowledge, technology and future readiness — as compared to the previous year’s ranking.
UNCTAD sees India growth moderating to 6% in 2019
The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) has forecast India’s growth to moderate to 6% in 2019 from 7.4% in 2018 due to lower-than-targeted tax collections and limited public spending. UNCTAD said this in its Trade and Development 2019 report released recently.
World Wrestling Rankings: Deepak Punia clinches number one position in 86-kg category
Indian wrestler Deepak Punia, who recently won the silver medal in the World Championships, attained the top-most position in the world rankings in the 86-kg freestyle men’s wrestling category.
- Deepak has 82 points in his kitty, four more than 2019 World Champion Hasan Yazdani.
Manipur clinch 25th Senior Women’s National Football Championship
Defending champion Manipur have clinched the title of the 25th Senior Women’s National Football Championship for the 20th time at CHF Ground in Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh. Manipur defeated Railways 1-0 in a thrilling contest.
Sarah Taylor retires from international cricket
England wicket-keeper batswoman Sarah Taylor announced her retirement from the international cricket.
Air Marshal HS Arora appointed new IAF Vice Chief
In a reshuffle in the top brass of the force, Air Marshal HS Arora has been appointed as the Vice Chief of Indian Air Force (IAF).
- He will succeed Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria who will take over as the Chief of Air Staff on September 30.
Mohammad Azharuddin elected as HCA’s president
Former Indian skipper Mohammad Azharuddin has been elected as the President of Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA).
EBay CEO Devin Wenig Resigns
EBay Inc. Chief Executive Devin Wenig has left the online marketplace citing conflicts with the company’s new board, which is overseeing a strategic review of the business.
Infosys wins UN Global Climate Action Award for ‘carbon neutral now’ category
Digital services and consulting major Infosys has won the United Nations Global Climate Action Award in ‘carbon neutral now’ category, becoming the only Indian corporate to earn the recognition for its efforts to combat climate change.
- Infosys began its action to combat climate change in 2008 with an assessment of its carbon footprint.
Cochin International Airport wins international award for passenger satisfaction
Airport Council International (ACI) has recognised Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) as the best airport in terms of services it offered to passengers.
- CIAL was ranked amongst the best airports in the 5-15 million category in the Asia Pacific region for the year 2018 based on annual Airport Service Quality (ASQ) survey conducted by the ACI.
National Tourism Awards 2017-18 announced
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu conferred the National Tourism Awards in various categories on occasion of World Tourism Day on 27th September 2019. This year India is hosting the official celebrations of World Tourism Day with the theme ‘Tourism and Jobs: a better future for all’.
Awards are as:
- Best Film Promotion Friendly State – Uttarakhand
- Best State award for overall growth – Andhra Pradesh
- Best State in Adventure Tourism category – Goa and Madhya Pradesh
- Best State in innovative use of Information Technology(IT) – Telangana
‘Karate Kid’ star Robert Garrison passes away
German Actor Robert Garrison who is best known for his role as Tommy in the original ‘The Karate Kid’ has passed away at the age of 59.
World Environmental Health Day 2019
World Environmental Health Day is celebrated every year on September 26. The International Federation of Environmental Health declares that climate change impacts vulnerable communities and calls for global assistance in aims of building environmental health.
- The theme in 2019 is “Climate change challenges, time for global Environmental Health to act in unison.”