Daily Current Affairs 3 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar ends; Defaulters to attract Rs 1,000 fine
The Income Tax department has announced taxpayers who have not linked their Aadhaar cards with their Permanent Account Number (PAN) on or before March 31 will have to pay a penalty between Rs 500 and Rs 1,000.
- As per the Income Tax Act, it is mandatory for all users to link PAN with their Aadhaar number, or else the PAN will become inoperative from March 31, next year.
Home Ministry’s High Level Committee approves additional Central assistance of over Rs 1,887 cr to 5 States
The High-Level Committee under the Chairmanship of Home Minister Amit Shah has approved additional Central assistance of over one thousand 887 crore rupees to five States under the National Disaster Response Fund. These states are Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Sikkim and West Bengal.
- Home Ministry said, more than one thousand crore rupees has been approved for Bihar, over 292 crore rupees for Rajasthan, more than 475 crore rupees for West Bengal, over 59 crore rupees for Sikkim and over 21 crore rupees for Himachal Pradesh.
Centre approves over Rs 433 crores Legacy Waste Remediation proposal of Maharashtra
Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has approved over 433 crore rupees for 28 Urban Local bodies in Maharashtra to effectively managing the Solid Waste Management. Garbage Dumpsites have become a massive problem for most urban cities, Maharashtra’s Greater Mumbai holds the maximum amount of legacy waste in the state.
- The Ministry said, greater Mumbai aims to remediate 2.6 crore metric tonnes of legacy waste to transform its urban landscape by reclaiming approximately 355 acres of valuable land.
Ayush Ministry provides Rs 32.75 cr to 12 organizations and institutes under Centre of Excellence component of AYURSWASTHYA Yojana
During 2021-22, Ministry of Ayush has provided a cumulative amount of Rs. 32.75 crores to 12 organizations and institutes under Centre of Excellence component of AYURSWASTHYA Yojana.
- The maximum admissible grant-in-aid provided by the Ministry to an organization or institute is Rs. 10 crores.
- The Minister said that under the Centre of Excellence component of AYURSWASTHYA Yojana, financial assistance is provided to reputed individual, organizations, institutes for establishing and upgrading their functions, facilities, research and development activities in AYUSH.
India, Australia ink Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement to boost bilateral ties
India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement was signed. Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal and Trade, Tourism and Investment Minister of Australia Dan Tehan signed this agreement with an eye on doubling bilateral trade to $50 billion in five years and ease movement of people, goods and services across borders.
- The trade and economic partnership deal with Australia, which is in the midst of a protracted trade battle with China, is a significant milestone at a time when the developed world is looking to hedge its supply chain dependence.
Sri Lanka’s Oldest Airport Sees First International Flight in 54 Years
Sri Lanka’s oldest and first international airport was relaunched with its first international flight landing in 54 years, aviation officials said.
- A flight from the Maldives landed at the Ratmalana International Airport in Colombo.
- The 50-seater Maldivian flight would operate three flights a week to Colombo which would be later expanded to five per weeks
In a First, UN Programme on HIV Launches Campaign to Highlight Rights of Trans Children
The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) has launched a first-of-its-kind campaign highlighting the rights of trans children ahead of the ‘International Transgender Day of Visibility’ on March 31.
- “Unbox Me”, launched, along with a two minute and 10 seconds film on the issue, is a “creative exploration” of the theme of secrecy — and hiding — that most such children go through but one “that transgender children go through in a phychologically debilitating way.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB, HSBC India set up USD 100 mn partial guarantee prog for MFI sector
Asian Development Bank (ADB) and HSBC India have signed an agreement to establish a USD 100 million partial guarantee programme to support more than 4,00,000 micro-borrowers and mostly women-run micro-enterprises across India.
- HSBC will expand its lending to microfinance institutions (MFIs) and non-bank finance companies, with ADB partially guaranteeing the loans, Manila-based multilateral funding agency said.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IREDA sanctions Rs 267 cr loan to BluSmart Mobility for electric cars
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited, IREDA has sanctioned a loan of over 267 crore rupees to start-up company BluSmart Mobility for the purchase of three thousand electric cars.
- BluSmart company is working for India’s path to zero-emission mobility, improve the quality of lives of the driver-partners and continue to provide reliable ride-hailing service to the customers.
- It will use the fresh capital to purchase electric cars leading to an expansion of its Electric Vehicles fleet.
Doordarshan FreeDish becomes largest DTH platform with reach of over 43 million households
Doordarshan FreeDish has become the largest DTH platform with reach of more than 43 million households.
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry said, the free DTH service of Doordarshan clocked stellar growth of almost 100 per cent from 22 Million in 2017 to 43 Million in 2022. Prasar Bharati’s DTH service DD FreeDish is the only Free-to-Air Direct-To-Home (DTH) Service where the viewer does not have to pay any monthly subscription fee. It only requires a small one-time investment of about two thousand rupees for purchase of the DD FreeDish set-top box.
Nabet India collaborates with PNB Housing Finance Ltd for a unique employment generation program
Nabet India and PNB Housing Finance Pvt Ltd joined hands to carry out a special women’s health and wellness initiative.
- While Nabet India is committed to promoting livelihood for women particularly in rural areas, it also promotes health and wellness to improve their quality of life.
- In this initiative, Nabet India would manufacture sanitary napkins at its own facility and make them available for working women, school/college going girls and villagers in need. PNB Housing Finance Pvt Ltd would on its part sponsor the machine for use by Nabet India.
National weightlifting championships: Ann Mariya M T wins gold medal
Ann Mariya M.T. from Kerala won the women’s 87 kilogram gold medal with a National record aggregate of 231 kg on the concluding day of the National weightlifting championships at the KIIT University campus in Bhubaneswar.
- Ann Mariya lifted one kilogram less than Commonwealth Games gold medalist Purnima Pandey’s new snatch record of 104 kg and she tied with eventual third-place finisher Manpreet Kaur’s record-breaking clean and jerk effort of 128 kg.
- However, the Kerala woman totalled two kilograms more than Purnima to emerge champion.
Chennai Super Kings’ all-rounder Dwayne Bravo becomes highest wicket-taker in IPL
Chennai Super Kings all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has become the all-time highest wicket-taker in the Indian Premier League.
- During the IPL 2022 match against Lucknow Super Giants at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai, Bravo, who was tied with Malinga at the top spot with 170 wickets, dismissed Deepak Hooda in the 18th over of Lucknow’s chase to break the former Mumbai Indians’ bowler’s record.
- The West Indian cricketer now has 171 wickets to his name in 153 IPL matches. On the other hand, Malinga had taken 170 wickets in 122 matches. Bravo and Malinga are followed by Amit Mishra (166), Piyush Chawla (157) and Harbhajan Singh (150) in IPL’s all-time leading wicket-takers list in top five.
Meghalaya all set to host 83rd National Table Tennis Championship 2022
Meghalaya is all set to host the 83rd National Table Tennis Championship 2022 scheduled to begin from April 18th till 25th, 2022 at SAI Indoor Training Centre, NEHU in Shillong.
- This is the second time the biggest table tennis event is being hosted in the Northeast.the State is expecting close to 650 participants out of which 450 will be players and rest will be coaches and support staff.
- This tournament is held keeping in mind the 50 year’s statehood celebration of the State and the cost of hosting this tournament is expected to be 1.5 crore rupees and a total of 10 players from the State is expected to participate in the event.
First Yogasana Senior National Championship Starts in Ahmedabad
The first Yogasana senior national championship kicked off in Ahmedabad with over 169 participants from 14 states vying for medals.
- The two-day event has been organised by the National Yogasana Sports Federation (NYSF), an organisation set up by “like-minded shareholders” to promote Yoga as a competitive sport, and Gujarat State Yogasana Association in association with the government of Gujarat.
- The event is being held ahead of the first World Yogasana Championship in June,2022.
Mahindra Manulife Mutual Fund appoints Anthony Heredia as MD and CEO
Asset management company Mahindra Manulife Mutual Fund has appointed Anthony Heredia as its managing director and chief executive officer effective.
- Heredia will succeed Ashutosh Bishnoi, who retired on 31 March.
Dr Arunabha Ghosh Appointed to the UN High-Level Expert Group on the Net-Zero Emissions Commitments of Non-State Entities
UN Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Dr Arunabha Ghosh to his ‘High-Level Expert Group on Net-Zero Emissions Commitments of Non-State Entities’.
- The group will help in developing stronger and clearer standards for net-zero emissions pledges by non-State entities such as businesses, investors, cities and regions.
- Dr Ghosh will be among three Asians (and the only South Asian) serving on the expert group. The Group will be chaired by Ms. Catherine McKenna, former Canadian Minister of Environment and Climate Change. Other members of this 16-member group include former Prime Minister of Mali Mr Oumar Tatam Ly, Commissioner at the Global Commission for Economy and Climate Mr Carlos Lopes, former Chair of the California Air Resources Board Ms Mary Nichols, and former Governor of the People’s Bank of China Mr Zhou Xiaochuan.
FedEx names Raj Subramaniam as CEO, replacing founder Fred Smith
FedEx Corp (FDX.N) named its operating chief, Raj Subramaniam, as the new chief executive officer effective June 1, succeeding company founder Fred Smith, who started the global delivery conglomerate with more than a dozen planes in the 1970’s.
- Subramaniam (54) joined FedEx in 1991. Since then he has served in several positions such as executive vice president, and chief marketing and communications officer. He has been on the board of directors of FedEx Corporation since 2020.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indian Coast Guard’s Karaikal base gets Interceptor Boat ICGS C-436
The Karaikal base of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) got the Interceptor Boat ICGS C-436. A release from the Defence Ministry said that the vessel is set to give a major fillip to its operations in the vast coastline of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
- The indigenously built ship C-436 is the 36th interceptor boat of its series. It is fitted with modern navigation and communication equipment capable of operating in tropical sea conditions and for close coast surveillance.