Daily Current Affairs 3 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Election Commission’s ‘Mission-929’ to take voter turnout in Tripura to over 90%
The Election Commission (EC) is focusing on 929 polling booths across Tripura, setting a target of 92 per cent voter turnout in the assembly elections due early this year.
- These booths recorded a voter turnout of less than 89 per cent, which was the average across 3,328 booths in the 2018 assembly polls. The EC is also working on ‘Mission Zero Poll Violence’ to make the assembly elections peaceful.
Amit Shah lays the foundation stone of the Central Detective Training Institute in Karnataka
Union Home and Cooperation Minister Shri Amit Shah laid the foundation stone of the Central Detective Training Institute (CDTI) at Devanahalli in Karnataka and inaugurated the residential and administrative complexes of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- This will be the 6th CDTI of the Bureau of Police Research & Development under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs in the country.
- The Devanahalli center of CDTI will serve the forensic needs of the neighbouring States of Karnataka, Maharashtra, Goa and the Union Territory of Daman-Diu.
‘SMART’ programme launched for Ayurveda professionals to boost R&D in Ayurveda
A special government initiative aimed to boost scientific research in healthcare areas through Ayurveda colleges and hospitals was launched.
- The Scope for Mainstreaming Ayurveda Research in Teaching Professionals (SMART) programme was launched by the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine and the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences, the two prominent institutions under the Ayush Ministry.
- The ‘SMART’ program will have a deep longterm rejuvenating impact on research in the field of Ayurveda and it will be a great service to the nation.
Kerala CM inaugurates Indian Library Congress in Kannur
The Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated Indian Library Congress at the Collectorate Ground in Kannur, Kerala.
- The Indian Library Congress has been organized by the People’s Mission for Social Development and Library Council from 1 -3 January 2023 and hosted by Kannur University, Kerala.
- Earlier on 26 December 2022, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan announced that his constituency Dharmadam has become the first complete library constituency in India.
Prime Minister virtually inaugurates Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee National Institute of Water and Sanitation in Kolkata
Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee National Institute of Water and Sanitation (SPM-NIWAS) at Joka in Kolkata via video conferencing.
- SPM – NIWAS has been set up at a cost of around Rs. 100 Crore, on 8.72 acres of land at Joka, Diamond Harbour Road, Kolkata, West Bengal. .
- The inauguration of SPM-NIWAS was followed by a day-long national conference on ‘Drinking Water Quality– Issues & Challenges’ organized by DDWS and supported by UNICEF, INREM Foundation, WaterAid.
Croatia adopts euro, enters borderless Europe club
Croatia has switched to the euro and entered Europe’s passport-free zone – two important milestones for the country after joining the European Union (EU) nearly a decade ago.
- The country from the Balkans said goodbye to its kuna currency at midnight and joined the eurozone as its twentieth member.
- It is now the 27th country to join the Schengen area, the largest passport-free travel region in the world that allows for the unrestricted movement of more over 400 million people between its members.
BANKING & FINANCE
UPI transactions hit record 782 crore in December
The Unified Payments Interface (UPI) transactions touched a record 782 crore in December during the calendar year 2022, amounting to a record high of Rs 12.82 lakh crore. The volume of UPI transactions in December rose 7.12 per cent compared to November, with the value of transactions rising 7.73 per cent.
- According to data from the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the volume of transactions jumped 71 per cent year-on-year in December and the value of transactions surged 55 per cent.
BCCI to include Yo-Yo Test and DEXA for India Cricket Team Selection process
The Board of Cricket Council of India (BCCI) finally conducted the meeting which was pending since India’s exit from the semi-finals of the T20 World Cup. After the meeting, the board decided to reintroduce the Yo-Yo fitness test in the eligibility criteria for selection in the Indian cricket team.
- Yo-Yo test is an endurance fitness test that involves running between markers placed 20 meters apart at increasing speeds. The test was introduced when Virat Kohli had the reins of the Indian cricket team initially had a qualifying score of 16.1 and was later increased to 16.5.
Captain Shiva Chouhan becomes first woman officer operationally deployed at Siachen
Captain Shiva Chouhan of the Indian Army’s Fire and Fury Corps became the first woman officer to get operationally deployed at the world’s highest battlefield, Siachen, after a month’s arduous training at Siachen Battle School along with other personnel.
- The Fire and Fury Corps announced that officer Chauhan has been deployed to the Kumar Post after completing “arduous training.”
- She got inducted to the Siachen Glacier on January 2 after an arduous climb. The team of Sappers led by Capt Shiva Chouhan will be responsible for numerous combat engineering tasks and will be deployed at the post for a duration of three months.
Noted Rabindra Sangeet exponent Sumitra Sen passes away at 89
Noted Rabindra Sangeet exponent Sumitra Sen passed away at her residence in Kolkata at the age of 89.
- She will be remembered for her rendition of songs like Jokhon Porbe Na Mor, Sokhi Vabona Kahare Bole and Mone Ki Dwidha. Her rendition of Aaj Jyotsna Raate Shobai Gechhe Bone in Ritwik Ghatak’s classic movie Komal Gandhar has remained a steadfast interpretation of the song. In 2012, she received the Sangeet Mahasamman award from the West Bengal government.