Daily Current Affairs 30 December 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
India-assisted Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Project handed over to Bhutan’s Druk Green Power Corp
The India-assisted 720 Megawatts Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Power Project has been handed to Druk Green Power Corporation (DGPC) in Bhutan.
- The handover was held in Thimphu on December 27 in a ceremony that was witnessed by Bhutan’s Minister of Economic Affairs Lyonpo Loknath Sharma and India’s Ambassador to Bhutan, Sudhakar Dalela.
- With the handing over of the project, India and Bhutan have successfully completed four mega hydroelectric power projects, Bhutan’s Ministry of Economic Affairs said in a statement.
Maharashtra first state to pass The Lokayukta Bill 2022
Maharashtra assembly passed the Lokayukta Bill 2022, which brings the chief minister and council of ministers under the ambit of the anti-corruption ombudsman. The bill was passed without discussion as the opposition had staged a walkout over the alleged scam in the Teachers Entrance Test.
- Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis termed the bill a historic legislation, adding Maharashtra is the first state to have such a law.
New British Indian Army Memorial to be built in Scotland
A new British Indian Army Memorial, commemorating the sacrifice of millions of Indian soldiers who fought alongside the British during the two World Wars, is to be built in the Scottish city of Glasgow after the local council approved the plans.
- Glasgow City Council cleared the planning application recently, subject to conditions, paving the way for finalising the designs for the memorial to be built near Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
- The memorial initiative is being led by the Colourful Heritage multimedia project, which celebrates the history of Scotland’s South Asian community, and is visualised as Scotland’s first permanent memorial wall to recognise the service and sacrifice of over 4 million soldiers of the British Indian Army
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Tata Steel, TuTr Hyperloop join hands to develop hyperloop technology
Tata Steel and TuTr Hyperloop have signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) at IIT Madras, to jointly work on the development and deployment of hyperloop technology at scale.
- The main research areas will focus on key challenges of design and materials selection. The primary study topics will concentrate on the most important design and material selection problems.
Magnus Carlsen & Zhongyi Tan, winners of the FIDE 2022 World Rapid Championship
The World Rapid Chess Championships concluded with another world title for Carlsen. Tan Zhongyi is first among women after winning a tiebreaker.
- After three days of play, the World Rapid Chess Championships ended in Almaty. Following 13 rounds in the Open section, Magnus Carlsen came out on top, with 10/13. It is his fourth chess crown in the rapid. He had already triumphed in 2014, 2015 and 2019. Magnus also was second in 2012 (in Astana) and third in 2016 and 2021.
- In the Women’s tournament, Tan Zhongyi of China won gold after defeating local player Dinara Saduakassova in the tiebreaker.
Praveen K Srivastava named as acting Central Vigilance Commissioner
Vigilance Commissioner Praveen Kumar Srivastava has been appointed as the acting Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC), officials said.
- Srivastava’s appointment comes after Suresh N Patel completed his term as the chief of the anti-corruption watchdog Central Vigilance Commission on December 24.
- The commission is headed by a CVC and can have a maximum of two Vigilance Commissioners.
Benjamin Netanyahu sworn in as Israel’s prime minister for sixth time
Benjamin Netanyahu was sworn-in as Israel’s prime minister for a sixth time, leading the Jewish state’s most right-wing government to date.
- Netanyahu, 73, already Israel’s longest-serving Prime Minister, has the support of 63 lawmakers in the 120-member Knesset (Israeli parliament). In the house, 54 lawmakers voted against his government.
- He returned as prime minister with the formation of his sixth government, which is composed of a number of far-right allies, a prospect that many fear would put the new government at odds with large parts of its own population and its closest allies abroad.
Abdullah Abdul Samad Dashti of Kuwait appointed United Nations Coordinator for the Black Sea Grain Initiative
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres announced the appointment of Abdullah Abdul Samad Dashti of Kuwait as United Nations Coordinator for the Black Sea Grain Initiative.
- The Initiative was launched by Ukraine, Türkiye, Russian Federation and the United Nations on 22 July to enable the resumption of exports from Ukraine of grain, foodstuffs and fertilizer, including ammonia, through a safe maritime humanitarian corridor.
- Mr. Dashti succeeds Amir Mahmoud Abdulla of Sudan who served as United Nations Coordinator since August.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Home Minister Amit Shah launches mobile App ‘Prahari’ and manual of Border Security Force
The Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amit Shah launched the Mobile App ‘Prahari’ of the Border Security Force (BSF) in New Delhi. Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Nityanand Rai, Director General of BSF Pankaj Kumar Singh were amongst those dignitaries present on the occasion.
- Now BSF soldiers can get personal and service related information, housing, Ayushman-CAPF and leave related information on their mobiles. Soldiers can also get information on various welfare schemes through this app.
- He also launched the revised version of 13 manuals for the BSF. This revision and update in the manuals will increase better understanding of operations, administration and training and speed up tasks.
Brazil World Cup winner and football legend, Pele passes away
Brazil’s three-time World-cup winning football legend, Pele passed away at the age of 82 following a cancer battle.
- Pele, widely regarded as the game’s most gifted player, guided Brazil to three World Cup victories in 1958, 1962, and 1970. With 77 goals in 92 games, he continues to be the top goal scorer for Brazil.