Daily Current Affairs 30 May 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Telangana achieves 100% coverage of PMJDY
Telangana State has achieved a significant milestone in financial inclusion by attaining 100% coverage of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY).
- Since the launch of this national mission, the state has made remarkable progress in extending banking services to all sections of the population.
- As per the Social Security Administration survey, the state has achieved 100 percent coverage and the benefits of 135 welfare schemes and programmes under 20 departments are credited to these zero-balance bank accounts of the beneficiaries.
MP becomes first state in country to provide free air travel to pilgrims state in country to provide free air travel to pilgrims
Madhya Pradesh became the first state in the country to provide free air travel facility to poor elderly pilgrims as the first batch of 32 senior citizens boarded a plane to Prayagraj under Mukhyamantri Tirth-Darshan Yojana.
- So far, 7, 82,000 elderly people have undertaken pilgrimage in 782 special trains under the scheme. A help centre has been set up at the airport for the convenience of the passengers.
Government to waive off ISTS charges for Off-Shore Wind Projects
The Government has decided to grant waiver of Inter-State Transmission Charges ISTS charges to Off-Shore Wind Projects and extend the waiver to Green Hydrogen and Green Ammonia. This decision has been taken to facilitate wider execution of offshore wind energy initiatives, to promote the expansion of Green Hydrogen and Green Ammonia Projects and to encourage the offtake of renewable energy from Energy Storage System Projects.
- As per the notification issued by the Ministry of Power, a complete waiver of ISTS charges has been given for off-shore wind power projects commissioned on or before 31st December, 2032 for a period of 25 years from the date of commissioning of the Project.
- The off-shore projects commissioned from 1st January 2033 would be given graded ISTS charges. Earlier, all wind energy projects were provided waivers upto 30.06.2025. Now, offshore wind would be treated separately and waiver to these would be granted up to 31st Dec 2032 with graded transmission charges thereafter.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank to up stake in ICICI Lombard General Insurance
The board of ICICI Bank has decided to raise the bank’s stake in ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company (ILGIC) by an additional 4 per cent and turn the insurance company into a subsidiary of the bank.
- The bank, in a regulatory filing, said that it will acquire at least 2.5 per cent stake out of the 4 per cent before September 9, 2024. As on March 31, 2023, the bank held 48.02 per cent stake in the IL GIC.
Indian Bank empanelled as Clearing and Settlement Bank with ICCL
Indian Bank announced that it has been selected as a Clearing and Settlement Bank by the Indian Clearing Corporation Ltd (ICCL).
- As a result, this public sector bank is now authorized to provide banking services to members of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) for clearing and settlement operations.
- Clearing members can now open settlement accounts with the bank for funds settlement under the equity derivatives segment. The proposal to extend this facility to the members of NSE is under under active consideration
Chennai Super Kings beat Gujarat Titans, win 5th IPL title
Chennai Super Kings (CSK) pulled off a stunning heist to beat Gujarat Titans (GT) by five wickets and win its fifth Indian Premier League title, at the Narendra Modi Stadium at Ahmedabad.
- Chasing a rain-curtailed 171-run target in 15 overs, CSK needed 10 to win off the last two balls, only for Ravindra Jadeja to hoist Mohit Sharma straight down the ground for a six and follow it up with a glanced four to the fine-leg boundary.
- Ravindra Jadeja struck a six and a four off Mohit Sharma in the final two balls to win it for CSK.
Uttar Pradesh Hockey wins 13th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2023
Uttar Pradesh Hockey won the 13th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2023 after defeating the Hockey Association of Odisha in the Final at the iconic Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium, Odisha.
- Meanwhile, Hockey Haryana beat Hockey Madhya Pradesh to finish third in the competition.
- Uttar Pradesh Hockey won the tournament by defeating the Hockey Association of Odisha 7-1. Ujjwal Pal converted three penalty corners, while Rahul Yadav , Ketan Kushwaha Rahul Rajhbar and Team Captain Ajeet Yadav each scored a goal to secure their victory.
Badminton: India’s ace shuttler HS Prannoy clinches Men’s Singles title of Malaysia Masters 2023 at Kuala Lumpur
India’s ace shuttler HS Prannoy has clinched the Malaysia Masters badminton title. He defeated Weng Hong Yang of China 21-19, 13-21, 21-18 in men’s singles final in Kuala Lumpur. Facing off for the first time, Prannoy and Weng saw a close battle in the first game, with the former taking a slender 11-10 lead at the mid-way interval.
- World number nine Prannoy received a walkover in his semi-final clash to final after Indonesia’s Christian Adinata pulled out with an injury towards the end of the first game.
- In women’s singles, PV Sindhu’s campaign ended after a loss in the semi-final. Sindhu was defeated by Indonesia’s Gregoria Mariska Tunjung.
CAG Girish Chandra Murmu re-elected as External Auditor of WHO for four-year term
Comptroller and Auditor General Girish Chandra Murmu has been re-elected as External Auditor of the World Health Organisation (WHO) for a four-year term from 2024 to 2027.
- CAG is already holding this position in WHO since 2019 for a four-year term from 2019 to 2023. The election was held recently in the Seventy-sixth World Health Assembly in Geneva, where the CAG of India was re-elected with an overwhelming majority of 114 out of 156 votes in the first round of voting itself.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
XPoSat: India’s First Polarimetry Mission
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Raman Research Institute (RRI), Bengaluru, have joined hands to embark on an exciting mission known as the X-Ray Polarimeter Satellite (XPoSat).
- This collaborative effort aims to delve into the dynamics of bright astronomical X-ray sources, shedding light on their behavior and characteristics.
- This satellite is scheduled to be launched later this year, and its mission is to study the various dynamics of bright astronomical X-ray sources present in extreme conditions.