Daily Current Affairs 4 November 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurates “Tourist Facilitation Centre” in Kerala
Union Minister of State (IC) for Tourism & Culture Shri Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated the “Tourist Facilitation Centre” in Kerala.
- The facility has been constructed under the project “Development of Guruvayur, Kerala” under PRASHAD Scheme of the Ministry of Tourism at the cost of Rs. 11.57 Crores. For the project, around 45.36 crores were allocated
- The facilitation centre also comprises the components such as CCTV Network infrastructure, multi-level car parking and tourist amenities centre.
Sarbananda Sonowal lays foundation stone of Indo-Israeli CoE
In Assam, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal laid the foundation stone of Indo-Israeli Centre of Excellence for Vegetables Protected Cultivation near Guwahati in presence of Israeli Ambassador Dr. Ron Malka.
- The Rs. 10.33-crore project is expected to bolster the agricultural activities in the state by providing exposure to latest Israeli technologies.
- The Centre of Excellence would provide a major boost to agricultural and horticultural production in Assam.
Railways to implement artificial intelligence, data analytics for better operational efficiency in association with ISB, Hyderabad
The railways is set to go big with artificial intelligence and data analytics to improve its operational efficiency and has tied up with the Indian School of Business in Hyderabad to analyse the data generated by the national transporter.
- The railways will set up a Centre for Excellence in this regard in the next three months.
- The Railway Board has taken a decision to appoint a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) in every zonal railways whose mandate will be to keep track of emerging technologies in analytics and artificial intelligence (AI) and use it in the rail system.
India hands over another NPR 1 billion tranche for Nepal Housing Project
Indian Ambassador to Nepal Vinay Mohan Kwatra handed over a cheque of NPR 1 billion to the Nepal government as reimbursement of Nepal Housing Reconstruction Project.
- India had announced the reconstruction drive in Nuwakot and Gorkha District of Himalayan Nation after it was severely hit by 2015 earthquake. India has pledged to construct a total of 50,000 houses in two districts where the UNDP and UNOPS are providing the technical and other consultation supports.
Indian Naval Ship ‘Airavat’ reaches Port Sudan under ‘Mission Sagar-II’
Indian Naval Ship, Airavat reached Port Sudan as a part of Mission Sagar-II.
- Indian government is providing assistance to Friendly Foreign Countries to overcome natural calamities and COVID-19 pandemic, and towards the same INS Airavat is carrying a consignment of 100 Tonnes of food aid for the people of Sudan.
- Mission Sagar-II, is in line with the Prime Minister’s vision of Security and Growth for All in the Region ‘SAGAR’ and highlights the importance accorded by India to relations with her maritime neighbours and further strengthens the existing bond.
India-US-Japan-Australia kick-starts Malabar Naval Exercise-2020
The navies of India, the US, Japan and Australia held a series of complex manoeuvres in the Bay of Bengal, kick-starting the four-day-long first phase of the Malabar naval exercise, seen as a prelude to future military cooperation among the member nations of the Quad or Quadrilateral Coalition.
- The mega exercise is taking place at a time India and China are locked in a nearly six-month-long bitter border standoff in eastern Ladakh.
- From the Indian side, destroyer Ranvijay, frigate Shivalik, off-shore patrol vessel Sukanya, fleet support ship Shakti and submarine Sindhuraj will be part of the drill. US Navy Ship USS John S McCain (Guided-missile destroyer), Australian Navy Ship HMAS Ballarat (long-range frigate) and Japan Maritime Self Defence Ship (JMSDF) Ship JS Onami (destroyer) are participating along with Indian Navy units.
Bangladesh and US launch joint naval exercise CARAT Bangladesh 2020
The Bangladesh and US navies launched the ‘Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Bangladesh 2020’ to expand relationships and broaden maritime awareness between the two countries.
- The sea-phase of the exercise will take place in the Bay of Bengal with ships from both countries.
- The exercise demonstrates U.S.’s continuing commitment to work with the Bangladesh military to address shared maritime security concerns in the region and strengthen partnership to ensure a free and open Indo-Pacific region
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB approves USD 132.8 mn loan to improve power distribution in Meghalaya
The Asian Development Bank has approved USD 132.8 million loan to improve and upgrade the power distribution network in Meghalaya.
- The project fully supports Meghalaya”s initiative in improving the distribution system & financial sustainability of the Department.
- The loan will support in clearing the power outstanding dues.
NPCI launches ‘RuPay Festive Carnival’
The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) unveiled discounts up to 65 per cent on purchase of various branded items using RuPay card.
- The ‘RuPay Festive Carnival’ will provide compelling benefits and attractive discounts to RuPay users, aimed at encouraging safe, contactless and cashless payments.
- RuPay cardholders can revel in celebrations by availing attractive offers from not only categories such as health, fitness, education, e-commerce – which are most relevant and significant amid current scenarios – but also from dining and food delivery, shopping, entertainment, wellness, pharmacy and others.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
CCI Approves Acquisition of Bharti AXA by ICICI Lombard
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the acquisition of General Insurance Business of Bharti AXA General Insurance Company Limited (Bharti AXA) by ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited (ICICI Lombard) under Section 31(1) of the Competition Act, 2002.
- Pursuant to the proposed combination, the entire general insurance business of Bharti AXA would be transferred by way of a demerger to ICICI Lombard in consideration of issuance of shares by ICICI Lombard to Bharti AXA.
West Indies batsman M. Samuels retires from all forms of cricket
Marlon Samuels, the West Indies batsman who top-scored in both of their T20 World Cup final victories, announced his retirement from professional cricket.
- The 39-year-old played 71 Tests, 207 ODIs and 67 T20Is for the West Indies. He scored over 11,000 international runs and also picked more than 150 wickets.
- Samuels, who began his international career way back in 2000, represented several T20 franchises around the world over two decades.
- He had stints in Pune Warriors, Delhi Daredevils, Melbourne Renegades and Peshawar Zalmi.He played 15 matches in the Indian Premier League (IPL), scoring 161 runs and picking up nine wickets.
Shane Watson retires from all forms of cricket
Australian all-rounder Shane Watson has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- The 39-year-old will hang up his boots after an illustrious career during which he won two ICC Men’s Cricket World Cups and two ICC Champions Trophy titles.
- Watson, who has played 59 Tests, 190 ODIs, and 58 T20s at the international level, has won the ICC World Cup with Australia twice, in 2007 and in 2015.
- In Tests, Watson scored 3731 runs and picked up 75 wickets, and scored 5757 runs and scalped 168 wickets in ODIs to finish his career as one of the leading all-rounders of his era.
Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara wins 3rd term
Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara won a third term, a victory that came after his opponents had urged followers to boycott the election.
- Ouattara, 78, won 94% of the vote even though the 2016 Ivory Coast constitution limits the president to two terms.The government said 54% of eligible voters participated, but opponents put the figure at 10%.
- Mr. Ouattara, who became president in 2010 and was re-elected in 2015.
Portugal’s Duarte Pacheco elected as President of IPU for 2020-23
Portugal MP, Duarte Pacheco has won the elections for the post the President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU).
- The term of the Duarte Pacheco will be from 2020-2023.
- He will be the 30th President of the IPU and will succeed Mexican MP Gabriela Cuevas Barron who completed the tenure in October 2020.
Priyanca Radhakrishnan becomes first Indian-origin minister of New Zealand
Indian-origin politician Priyanca Radhakrishnan created history by becoming the first Indian-Kiwi woman to become a minister in New Zealand.
- Radhakrishnan was one of five new ministers inducted into freshly reelected Labour Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern who also unveiled a revamped cabinet that she has described as “incredibly diverse”.
- In 2006, Radhakrishnan joined the left-leaning Labour party in NZ and in 2017, became an MP in Ardern’s party. A two-time MP, Radhakrishnan has spent 14 years as a Labour Party leader.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
India’s 1st solar-powered miniature train launched in Kerala
A solar energy-driven miniature train, billed as the country’s first of its kind, was inaugurated at the Veli Tourist Village by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- The train, which would be an attraction for children especially, was part of a string of projects totally worth Rs 60 crore taken up to elevate the facilities at the panoramic destination to international standards.
- The miniature rail has all the features of a fully- equipped rail system, including a tunnel, station and a ticket office. The train has three bogies that can accommodate around 45 people at a time.
- Vijayan also dedicated an “Urban Park” and a swimming pool at the eco-friendly tourist village, located on the outskirts of the state capital where the Veli Lake meets the Arabian Sea.
Super Typhoon Goni hits the Philippines
Super Typhoon Goni, the world’s most powerful storm in four years, crashed through the Philippines main island of Luzon , smashing buildings, toppling trees, and causing floods and mudslides.
- The Joint Typhoon Warning Center reported that Super Typhoon Goni made landfall with maximum sustained winds of 310 kilometers (195 miles) per hour near its center.
Violin Maestro, Padma Awardee TN Krishnan passes away
Violin maestro and Padma awardee TN Krishnan passed away in Chennai. He was 92.
- He also received many legendary awards like Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan and Sangeetha Kalanidhi. He performed at thousands of musical concerts.
- He also taught violin to many students in his academic career at Chennai Music College and he was the dean for the School of Music and Fine Arts at the University of Delhi.
Bollywood Actor Faraaz Khan passes away
Actor Faraaz Khan, known for starring in movies such as “Fareb” and “Mehndi” in the 1990s, passed away in Bengaluru. He was 46.
- Khan had marked his debut in Bollywood in 1996 with Vikram Bhatt-directed “Fareb”. He found fame after he featured as Rani Mukherjee’s husband in social drama “Mehendi”.
- His film credits also include movies such as “Prithvi”, “Dulhan Banoo Main Teri”, “Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya” and “Chand Bujh Gaya”.
6th & shortest served CM of Bihar Satish Prasad Singh passes away
Bihar’s shortest-serving CM Satish Prasad Singh died of Covid-19 at a private hospital in Delhi’s Saket locality, just six days after his spouse’s demise.He was 87.
- Singh became an MLA from Parbatta assembly constituency on the ticket of Sanyukta Socialist Party in 1967.
- Singh became Bihar’s sixth chief minister in 1968 for only five days. Despite being the first-time MLA, Singh headed a coalition government and served as the CM from January 28, 1968 to February 1, 1968. He was also Bihar’s first non-upper caste chief minister.
- Later in 1980, he became a member of the Lok Sabha after winning the parliamentary election from Khagaria seat on Congress ticket.
Filmmaker-actor Ashish Kakkad passes away
Filmmaker and actor Ashish Kakkad, considered one of the most progressive artistes in the Gujarati film industry, has passed away at the age of 49.
- Ashish Kakkad was one of the most prominent artists from the Gujarati film industry.
- He was known for his directorial ventures Better Half (2010) and Mission Mummy (2016). As an actor, he was most notably seen in Abhishek Kapoor’s Kai Po Che! in 2013.
World Tsunami Awareness Day
World Tsunami Awareness Day is observed on 5 November every year to promote national and local risk reduction plans.
- The basic motive of this day is to increase the awareness about the Tsunami among over 700 million people live in low-lying coastal areas and Small Islands.
- This year’s observance promotes the “Sendai Seven Campaign,”. This theme focuses on reducing disaster damage to critical infrastructure and the disruption of basic services.