Daily Current Affairs 4 April 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
AYUSH Ministry in collaboration with Vinoba Seva Pratishthan organizes ‘Ayurveda Parav’ in Bhubaneswar
In a bid to promote Ayurveda as the mainstream treatment for the prevalent lifestyle related diseases, Vinoba Seva Pratisthan (VSP), in collaboration with the Ministry of AYUSH, has successfully organized a 3-days “Ayurveda Parav in Bhubaneswar.
- This unique initiative aims to not only ensure greater acceptance of Ayurveda among the masses but also to popularize Ayurveda as the mainline of treatment for the current lifestyle diseases.
- The Ministry of AYUSH provided full-fledged support to this programme.
First-of-its-kind cruise service starts between Surat and Diu
Minister of State for Ports, Shipping & Waterways (I/C) Mansukh Mandaviya flagged off the Cruise service from Hazira Port of Surat to Diu via video conferencing.
- The cruise service, Jai Sofia Mumbai Maiden, has been provided through a non-profit initiative by Mumbai’s SSR Marines.
- The Hazira to Diu, cruise services will run two days a week, on Mondays and Wednesdays. The cruise will start in the evening and reach its destination on the next morning, thus completing its journey in around 13-14 hours.
- The cruise has been updated with all amenities, plush interiors and can carry 300 passengers at a time.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI fixes WMA limits at ₹1.20 lakh crore for April-September 21
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), in consultation with the Government, has decided that the limits for Ways and Means Advances (WMA) for the first half of the financial year 2021-22 (April 2021 to September 2021) will be ₹1.20 lakh crore.
- The central bank provides financial accommodation to the Government to tide over temporary mismatches in the cash flow of its receipts and payments as WMA.
- The interest rate on WMA will be the repo rate (currently at 4 per cent). The interest rate on the overdraft will be two per cent above the repo rate.
Paytm Money opens technology development centre in Pune
Digital financial services platform Paytm, announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary Paytm Money has launched its technology development and innovation centre in Pune.
- It also plans to hire over 250 front-end, back-end engineers and data scientists to build new wealth products and services.
- The new facility at Pune will focus on driving product innovation, specifically for equity, mutual funds, and digital gold.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NITI Aayog launches AIM-PRIME to support science based startups
In a major push towards deep technology and driving the country to become a digitally transformed nation, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog has launched AIM-PRIME (programme for Researchers on Innovations, Market-Readiness & Entrepreneurship), a programme to promote and support science-based deep-tech startups & ventures across India.
- In this regard, AIM has joined hands with Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) to launch this nationwide programme which will be implemented by Venture Centre – a non-profit technology business incubator hosted by CSIR-NCL.
- The first cohort of the programme is open to technology developers (early-stage deep tech start-ups, and scientists/ engineers/ clinicians) with strong science-based deep tech business ideas. The programme is also open to CEOs and Senior incubation managers of AIM Funded Atal Incubation Centres that are supporting deep tech entrepreneurs.
Govt. retains 4% inflation target for RBI’s rate panel for 2021-26
The Centre has decided to retain the inflation target of 4%, with a tolerance band of +/- 2 percentage points for the Monetary Policy Committee of the Reserve Bank of India for the coming five years.
- The inflation target for the period April 1, 2021, to March 31, 2026, under the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1924, has been kept at the same level as it was for the previous five years,” said Economic Affairs Secretary Tarun Bajaj.
Keralite Aniyan Midhun wins gold at south Asian Wushu tourney
Aniyan Midhun of Nattika won the gold at the South Asian Wushu Championship that concluded in Nepal. The 28-year-old youth represented the country in the 70-kg category in the championship.
- He is the first Wushu player from southern India to reach the Indian team.
New Zealand, Australia to host 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup
Eden Park in Auckland in New Zealand has been selected by FIFA to stage the opening match of the tournament on July 10, with Stadium Australia in Sydney chosen to host the final on August 20.
- Matches are set to be held in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney in Australia as well as Auckland, Dunedin, Hamilton and Wellington in New Zealand.
- The 2023 edition will be the largest ever FIFA Women’s World Cup with the number of teams increasing from 24 to 32.
QCI chief Adil Zainulbhai appointed chairman of Capacity Building Commission
The government approved a commission under National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB), also known as ‘Mission Karmayogi’, to train civil servants at all levels. The Commission will comprise of a Chairperson and two Members.
- Former Quality Council of India (QCI) chief Adil Zainulbhai has been appointed as the chairperson of this Commission, while Ramaswami Balasubramaniam has been appointed as member (HR) and Praveen Pardeshi as a member (administration).
- The commission will also assist the Prime Minister’s Public Human Resources Council in approving the annual capacity building plans and will make necessary recommendations, besides suggesting policy changes required in the areas of HR management and capacity building.
Eduard Heger sworn in as new PM of Slovakia
Slovakia’s president swore in a new coalition government to end a political crisis triggered by a secret deal to buy Russia’s Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine.
- President Zuzana Caputova appointed the new cabinet led by Prime Minister Eduard Heger two days after the previous government of Igor Matovic resigned.
- It was the first European government to collapse due to its handling of the pandemic but the move kept the same four-party coalition in power and avoided the possibility of an early election.
RBI extends J&K Bank CMD R.K Chhibber’s tenure by six more months
Reserve Bank of India has extended the term of present Chairman and Managing Director J&K Bank R K Chibber by six months.
- However the RBI has advised the J&K Bank to expedite the process of appointment of an MD&CEO.
Digit Insurance onboards Virat Kohli as brand ambassador
Digit Insurance has roped in cricketer Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador. Kohli has also invested in Digit Insurance in the past.
- With this association, the company aims to carry the message of ‘making insurance simple’ through the cricketer.
Vice President releases book ‘Suparipalana’ by retired Civil Servant Dr Shailendra Joshi
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu has released a book ‘Suparipalana’ by retired civil servant Dr Shailendra Joshi.
- The book ‘Suparipalana’ is the Telugu translation of “Echo T Calling: Towards People-Centric Governance”, written by former Telangana Chief Secretary, Shri S K Joshi.
- The translator of the book is Shri Annavarapu Brahmaiah and the publisher is Shri Maruthi.