Daily Current Affairs 7 May 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Union Health Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya releases NFHS-5 report
Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya released the National Report of the fifth round of National Family Health Survey (NFHS-5) at the ‘Swasthya Chintan Shivir’ being held at Gujarat’s Vadodara.
- The report comprises of detailed information on key domains of population, health and family welfare and associated domains like characteristics of the population, fertility, family planning, infant and child mortality, maternal and child health, nutrition and anaemia, morbidity and healthcare, women’s empowerment etc.
- The NFHS-5 survey work has been conducted in around 6.37 lakh sample households from 707 districts of the country from 28 States and 8 UTs, covering 7,24,115 women and 1,01,839 men to provide dis-aggregated estimates up to district level.
India’s Solar Installations Crossed a Record 10 GW Capacity in 2021
India installed a record 10 gigawatt (GW) of solar capacity during calendar year 2021, registering a year-on-year rise of 212 per cent, according to Mercom India Research.
- The country had made 3.2 GW of solar capacity installations during 2020, the research firm said in its latest report.
- Cumulative solar installed capacity in India was approximately 49 GW at the end of December 2021, the report titled ‘Annual 2021 India Solar Market Update’ said.
Haryana Govt Launches ‘e-Adhigam’ Scheme, 3 Lakh Students Given Tablets for Online Education
Haryana government launched the e-Adhigam scheme in Haryana.
- Under the e-Adhigam, or the Advance Digital Haryana Initiative of Government with Adaptive Modules, scheme around 3 lakh students were given free tablets to pursue online education with ease.
- These devices come with pre-loaded content along with personalised and adaptive learning software, and 2GB free data.
- The government intends to provide the gadget to five lakh students from Classes 10-12. However, it said Class 11 students will get them after they clear the Class 10 board exams and qualify for the succeeding year.
In a first, Maharashtra govt launches scheme to enable prisoners to get personal loans
Maharashtra government launched a scheme to provide personal loans for prisoners with the aim to improve the living standard of the families of the inmates.
- The Maharashtra State Co-operative Bank will give loans under the scheme up to Rs 50,000 at an interest rate of 7 per cent.
- The scheme will be implemented on a pilot basis at Yerawada Central Jail, Pune, said Maharashtra Home Minister Dilip Walse Patil.It will also be the first innovative loan scheme in the country to get a loan based on the income earned while working in a prison.
UN-Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025 launched
Against the backdrop of a global energy crisis and worsening climate emergency, the United Nations took a major step to catalyse the large-scale action and support needed for the transition to clean, affordable energy for all and net-zero emissions with the launch of a UN-Energy Plan of Action Towards 2025.
- An Energy Compact Action Network was also launched to match those governments seeking support for their clean energy goals with those governments and businesses that have pledged over $600 billion to support these commitments, the UN said.
- Coalitions were announced to support energy access and transition in Nigeria and the city of Santiago, Chile, showcasing the Network’s potential, as well as to advance or expand coalitions supporting green hydrogen and a stronger role for women in leading and benefiting from the energy transition.
BANKING & FINANCE
To plug help package deal loopholes, Nabard plans farmer misery index
With small and marginal farmers getting a raw deal in farm loan waivers, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) is planning to formulate a farmer distress index (FDI) to track, identify and support the real needy and distressed farmers.
- Depending on the level of distress, the government and the financial institutions can decide on an appropriate package of support instead of the current practice of doling out distress package to all the farmers across the board.
- This index won’t be uniform across the country as it changes from place to pace depending on the stress levels. It will also help the entire financial sector, government departments and insurance companies.
Union Bank becomes first public sector bank to go live on Account Aggregator framework
Union Bank of India became the first public sector bank to go live on the Account Aggregator (AA) ecosystem, the bank said.
- Touted as the UPI moment for lending, the AA framework ensures swift data sharing with the consent of the user and eliminates the need for physical documents.
- The framework facilitates sharing of financial information on a real-time basis between regulated entities. AAs are licensed by the Reserve Bank of India to enable the flow of data between Financial Information Providers (FIPs) and Financial Information Users (FIUs).
RBI hikes repo rate by 40 basis points to 4.40 per cent
Reserve Bank of India has hiked the repo rate by 40 basis points, taking it to 4.40 per cent. The central bank also announced a 0.50 per cent increase in the cash reserve ratio (CRR).
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das said Monetary Policy Committee at its meeting decided to increase the policy repo rate under the Liquidity Adjustment Facility by 40 basis points to 4.40 per cent with immediate effect.
- The The standing deposit facility (SDF) rate stands adjusted to 4.15 per cent and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate to 4.65 per cent.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
SEBI rejigs secondary market advisory panel
Sebi has restructured its committee on secondary market, which provides suggestions to the capital markets regulator on improving market safety, efficiency and transparency.
- The 18-member advisory committee will now be chaired by G Mahalingam, former whole-time member of Sebi, latest information available on the website of the regulator showed.
- Earlier, the panel had 17 members and was headed by Sebi chairperson Madhabi Puri Buch.
- Apart from Mahalingam, the panel has CEOs of stock exchanges and depositories, representatives of various stakeholders and senior officials of Sebi as members.
Adani Wilmar beats HUL to become the largest FMCG company in India
Adani Wilmar Limited became the largest Fast Moving Consumer Goods Company (FMCG) in India beating Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL), after the announcement of its Quarter Four results for the financial year 2022 (Q4FY2022).
- AWL has reported total operating revenue of Rs 54,214 crore in the Financial Year 2022 whereas HUL reported a revenue of Rs 51,468 crore in the Financial Year (FY) 2021-22.
3 ODOP Brands & 5 Products Launched Under PMFME Scheme of MOFPI
The MoFPI has launched three One District One Product (ODOP) brands under the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises (PMFME) Scheme.
- The brand Madhurmithas has introduced jaggery powder and has been exclusively developed under the ODOP concept for the district Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh.
- Brand Anaras has been developed under the ODOP concept for dried spicy pineapple from the district Ri Bhoi, Meghalaya.
- Brand Pind Se has introduced mango pickle, made with premium quality ingredients, and a traditional recipe.
- Besides, two other products were also launched on the occasion under the brand Kashmiri Mantra from district Kulgam, Jammu and Kashmir, and Madhumantra from district Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh.
Archery World Cup Stage 1: Tarundeep-Ridhi win recurved mixed team gold
The Indian duo of Tarundeep Rai and Ridhi edged out Great Britain’s Alex Wise and Bryony Pitman in a shoot-off to win the recurve mixed team gold medal at the Archery World Cup Stage-1 in Antalya, Turkey.
- India returned two gold medals, including the one in the compound men’s team competition, in the event.
- This was Tarundeep’s first World Cup medal after eight years. Earlier, he was part of a gold medal winning combination in 2010.
Annual ICC Rankings: Australia are No. 1 in Tests, India remain on top in T20, NZ are No. 1 ranked ODI team
India under new captain Rohit Sharma finished the 2021-22 season as the world’s number one ranked T20 team after a string of impressive performances at home but were a good nine points behind Australia in the annual Test rankings released by ICC.
- The ‘Black Caps’ from New Zealand finished the last season as the world No.1 ODI team with the cut-off date being May 4, 2022. The England versus India series that began in 2021, will be included in the rankings once the final postponed Test is completed.
ICC T20I Rankings Top 5
- India – 270
- England – 265
- Pakistan – 261
- South Africa – 253
ICC Test Rankings Top 5
- Australia – 128
- India – 119
- New Zealand -111
- South Africa – 253
- Australia – 251
ICC ODI Rankings Top 5
- New Zealand – 125
- England – 123
- Australia -1107
- India – 105
- Pakistan – 102
Dr Bina Modi, Chairperson, Modi Enterprises Receives the Woman Transforming India Award by Indo-American Chamber of Commerce
Dr Bina Modi, Chairperson of Modi Enterprises was adjudged the Woman Transforming India Award at Indo-American Chamber of Commerce 6th Entrepreneur Leadership Awards 2022. The Award was presented by the Honourable Union Minister for Civil Aviation Shri JyotiradityaScindia.
- Dr Bina Modi Chairperson of Modi Enterprises a US 2 billion conglomerate and of the largest business groups in India is the President and Managing Director of the flagship company Godfrey Phillips India Ltd and Chairperson and Managing Director of Indofil Industries Limited.
- She has also founded and built several successful brands including Bina Fashions Ego Chain of Specialty Restaurants along with luxury and lifestyle businesses start emulating it We survived the pandemic and did outstanding business results.
DFPD receives Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration, 2020 for ONORC scheme
The Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) received the prestigious Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration, 2020 for its scheme ‘One Nation One Ration Card’ (ONORC).
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi conferred the Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration on the occasion of 15th Civil Services Day(21st April) in New Delhi. The award was presented under the category Innovation (General)-Central.
NASA’s Cynthia Rosenzweig Receives 2022 World Food Prize
A senior research scientist and head of the Climate Impacts Group at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York City, Cynthia Rosenzweig has received the 2022 World Food Prize from the World Food Prize Foundation.
- Rosenzweig was selected for the award for her research to understand the relationship between climate and food systems and forecast how both will change in the future.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ISRO plans mission to Venus in 2024
The Indian Space Research Organisation will send a spacecraft to orbit Venus to study what lies below its surface, the space body’s Chairperson S Somnath announced.
- ISRO is expecting to launch the mission by December 2024 with orbital manoeuvre planned for a year after that.
- Orbital manoeuvre is the use of propulsion systems to change the orbit of a spacecraft. It enables a spacecraft to enter into a planet’s orbit.
Haryana launches app to track movement of sand, mining vehicles
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched a Vehicle Movement Tracking System (VMTS) mobile app that will help in tracking vehicles carrying sand and other mining material.
- The app will be used at different checkpoints in all the districts of Haryana and vehicle details —like vehicle number, vehicle type, moving from, moving to — along with driver details, like name, driver mobile number and driver license number, will bepunched into it.
Kerala govt to launch ‘Shaili App’ for diagnosing, controlling lifestyle diseases
The Kerala government is ready to launch an Android app ‘Shaili App’ aimed at diagnosing and controlling lifestyle diseases among people in the southern State, Kerala Health Minister Veena George said.
- Shaili app would help to provide an accurate picture of such ailments both locally and at the State-level, and enable the government to control such diseases and formulate appropriate health plans.
Russia launches a secret military spacecraft into orbit around Earth
The Russian space agency conducted a satellite launch from the Plesetsk cosmodrome using the brand new Angara-1.2 light launch vehicle.
- The launch that took place from north-western Russia’s Arkhangelsk Oblast region was to deliver a secret military satellite to use against Ukraine.
Tony Brooks, Iconic 1950s Formula 1 pioneer passes away
Motorsport pioneer Tony Brooks, who won six Formula One grands prix in the 1950s and was nicknamed the “Racing Dentist”, has died aged 90.
- The Briton had been the last surviving Formula One race winner of the 1950s.
- He won on his F1 debut at the non-championship 1955 Syracuse Grand Prix, where he was a last-minute entry and took time off from studying to become a dentist.
A book ‘INDO-PAK WAR 1971- Reminiscences of Air Warriors’ released by Rajnath Singh
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has released a book titled ‘INDO-PAK WAR 1971- Reminiscences of Air Warriors’ at the 37th Air Chief Marshal PC Lal Memorial Lecture organised by the Air Force Association in New Delhi, Delhi.
- The book was edited by Air Marshal Jagjeet Singh and Group Captain Shailendra Mohan. The book features 50 Swarnim articles written by veterans narrating their experiences in detail.