Daily Current Affairs 9 January 2024 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Uttar Pradesh Ranks Among Top 3 States With 9% National Share Of MSMEs: Report
CBRE South Asia, the real estate consulting firm, announced the findings of its report – ‘MSMEs: Unleashing the Engines of Economic Prosperity’. The report underscored the crucial contribution of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in shaping India’s economy.
- As per the report, Uttar Pradesh (UP) has emerged among the top three states in India as a significant contributor to India’s Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector, with a 9% share in the MSME landscape in the country.
- The report further highlighted a regional concentration of MSME activity, with states such as Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh collectively constituting a substantial portion of the country’s MSME landscape.
- The three states account for nearly 40% of the total MSMEs registered in India. This emphasises not only the diverse distribution of MSMEs across the nation but also the significance of these states in driving the overall vibrancy and economic impact of the sector.
Inland Waterways Development Council commits Rs 45,000 crore to develop river cruise tourism
The Inland Waterways Development Council (IWDC), which is part of the Ministry of Ports, Shipping, and Waterways (MoPSW), announced that redeveloping river cruise tourism in the country will require an investment of Rs 45,000 crore by 2047.Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and Ayush also launched ‘Harit Nauka’ guidelines and ‘River Cruise Tourism Roadmap, 2047’ at the inaugural session of IWDC in Kolkata.
- According to the statement, an estimated Rs 35,000 crore has been set aside for cruise ships, with another Rs 10,000 crore set aside for the development of cruise terminal infrastructure by 2047.
Mamata Banerjee launches ‘Yogyasree’ for SC/ST students in West Bengal
West Bengal’s Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee, inaugurated the “YogyaShree” social welfare initiative, a scheme designed to offer complimentary training to SC and ST students gearing up for competitive exams.
- The program is set to operate in fifty centers strategically positioned throughout the state, focusing on delivering free training exclusively for SC and ST individuals aspiring to secure government jobs and pursue civil services. This initiative aims to enhance equal opportunities in the competitive examination landscape.
Denmark announces alliance on green fuels in India
Denmark has launched an initiative, called Green Fuels Alliance India (GFAI), to bolster collaboration between the two countries with the aim of advancing the green fuels sector, including green hydrogen.
- Nine organisations are taking part in the initiative as founding members: A.P. Moller – Maersk, Topsoe, Umwelt Energy, Mash Makes, European Sustainable Solutions, Novozymes, Danfoss, Brdr. Christensen and Hydrogen Denmark.
- The new alliance is led by the Danish Embassy and the Consulate General of Denmark in India and is part of activities under the India-Denmark Green Strategic Partnership signed in 2020.
BANKING & FINANCE
PFC gets RBI nod to set up wholly-owned finance company in Gujarat
Power Finance Corporation (PFC) received approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up a wholly-owned finance company.The company is planning to set up a subsidiary at the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) in GIFT City, Gujarat.
- PFC is in receipt of the no objection letter dated January 9, 2024, from the RBI for setting up a finance company (as a wholly-owned subsidiary) at IFSC in GIFT City, Gujarat.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Microsoft’s ‘AI Odyssey’ to Upskill 100,000 Indian Developers: Boosting AI Talent in India
Microsoft India has unveiled the ‘AI Odyssey’ initiative, aiming to train 100,000 Indian developers in the latest AI technologies. Emphasizing AI as the future of innovation, Microsoft underscores India’s leadership in tech talent.
- The program seeks to equip developers with skills essential for executing AI projects aligning with business goals.
- Divided into two levels, participants must complete by January 31, 2024. Level One: Focuses on using Azure AI services to create and deploy solutions, providing resources and practical skills.Level Two: Involves an online assessment and interactive lab tasks to earn Microsoft applied skills credentials.
President Awards Sheetal Devi Arjuna Award for Sporting Achievements
India’s best-performing athletes were conferred with the national sports awards by President Droupadi Murmu in a regal ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan where para archer and sports bigwig, Sheetal Devi from Jammu and Kashmir was also conferred with Arjuna Award.
- Sheetal Devi along with 26 athletes and para-athletes were conferred with the Arjuna Awards in a colorful ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
List of Arjuna Award Winners 2023
1.Ojas Pravin Deotale-Archery
3.Aditi Gopichand Swami – Archery
4.Mohammad Hussamuddin – Boxing
5.R Vaishali – chess
6.Mohammed Shami – Cricket
7.Anush Agarwalla – Equestrian
8.Divyakriti Singh-Equestrian Dressage
10.Krishan Bahadur Pathak – Hockey
12.Pawan Kumar – Kabaddi
14.Nasreen – Kho-Kho
16.Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar – Shooting
17.Esha Singh – Shooting
18.Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu – Squash
19.Ayhika Mukherjee-Table Tennis
20.Sunil Kumar – Wrestling
21.Antim Panghal -Wrestling
22.Naorem Roshibina Devi-Wushu
23.Sheetal Devi – Para Archery
24.Illuri Ajay Kumar Reddy – Blind Cricket
25.Prachi Yadav-Para Canoeing
Kerala Woman Sets Guinness Record, Sings In 100+ Languages
Kerala teenager Suchetha Satish achieved a remarkable feat by setting a Guinness World Record during her performance at the ‘Concert for Climate’ in Dubai. Singing in an astounding 140 languages, she captivated the audience and earned widespread acclaim for her musical prowess.
- Suchetha Satish, a 16-year-old prodigy, mesmerized the audience at the Indian Consulate Auditorium in Dubai during the Concert for Climate. The event was part of the COP 28 summit, attended by representatives from over 140 nations, emphasizing the global significance of her achievement.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
U.S. Launches Peregrine-1 Lander to Moon in Historic Lunar Mission
The Peregrine-1 lunar lander, operated by private firm Astrobotic, successfully launched from Cape Canaveral, marking the first American lunar mission in 51 years.
- Scheduled to land on February 23, the mission, conducted under NASA’s Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) initiative, aims to study the Moon’s surface environment in preparation for upcoming human missions.
- The Peregrine lander carries five NASA payloads and 15 other components designed to measure radiation, surface and subsurface water ice, magnetic fields, and the exosphere. Notably, it includes the first Latin American scientific instruments destined for the lunar surface. Additionally, five miniature moon rovers, non-scientific payloads like a Bitcoin-loaded coin, and a “lunar dream capsule” filled with messages from children worldwide are part of the mission.
First Cyclone Of 2024, Alvaro, Strikes Madagascar
Tropical Cyclone Alvaro made landfall in southwest Madagascar on January 1st, 2024, marking the first significant cyclone impact on the island nation in the ongoing 2023-2024 cyclone season for the southwest Indian Ocean region.
- This season, spanning late October to May, has brought unprecedented challenges to the region, with Alvaro being the latest cyclone to wreak havoc.