Directions(1-4): A sentence divided into three parts (I, II and III) is given. There may be an error in one or more parts. Determine the part(s) which requires correction and mark it as your answer.
- Mumbai Indians were once again victims of umpiring howlers during (I)/ their thrilling win over Kolkata Knight Riders in a recent T20 match, (II)/ and coach Mahela Jayawardene didn’t seem pleased with some of the decisions. (III)
Only IBoth I and IIOnly IIOnly IIIBoth II and IIIOption D
The error in part III of the sentence is the incorrect use of the preposition ‘with’ and needs to be replaced with the preposition ‘by’ to make the sentence grammatically and contextually correct. By means “of; with the aid of; through the act or agency of” while “with” may refer to express the means used. In the given sentence, it was the act (umpires’ decisions) that made the coach displeased, so we need to use ‘by’. So, the correct answer is option D.
- Currently, the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB), being established in (I)/ 1983 with a gazette notification, is tasked with regulating (II)/ the safety as well security aspects of the country’s civilian nuclear facilities. (III)
Only IBoth I and IIOnly IIBoth I and IIIAll I, II and IIIOption E
The error in part I of the sentence is that of ‘being’ which is incorrect and needs to be omitted to make the sentence correct. The error in part II of the sentence is that of preposition ‘with’ which is incorrect and needs to be replaced with ‘through’ as some notification is given ‘through’ something. The error in part III of the sentence is that of the connector ‘as well’ which is incorrect and needs to be replaced with ‘and’ to make the sentence grammatically and contextually correct.
- Imran Khan’s political tsunami has humbled a whole lot of political leaders (I)/ besides knocking the wind out of the extremist and sectarian networks (II)/ and making heads of religious parties swallow the dust. (III)
Only IOnly IIOnly IIIBoth II and IIIBoth I and IIOption C
Option III: ‘Bite the dust’ is an idiom which is a humorous way of referring to death. This makes more sense than swallow the dust. ‘Swallow the dust’ has a very literal meaning, i.e. eating the dust. Thus, this part requires correction.
Therefore, option C is the apt answer.
- I receive so much pleasure in reading your letters, that I can (I)/ dispensed with the trouble I gave you in reading mine, but if you grow obstinate, and (II)/ do not answer, I will plague and pester you, and do all I can to vex you. (III)
Only IOnly IIBoth I and IIIBoth I and IIBoth II and IIIOption B
Option II: Any modal like ‘can’ is always followed by the first form of the verb. It should be ‘dispense,’ not ‘dispensed.’ Thus, this part requires correction. Therefore, option E is the apt answer.
- There (have been conflicting opinions about India boycotting) Pakistan at the World Cup.
i. have been conflicted opinions about India boycotting
ii. have conflicted opinions about India boycotting
iii. have conflicted opinions about India boycottingOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth ii and iiiNo correction requiredOption E
- Major Vibhuti and Nitika (got married last year and were planning to celebrate there) first anniversary when the terrible tragedy struck.
i. got married the previous year and were planning to celebrate there
ii. got married the previous year and were planning to celebrate their
iii. got married last year and were planning to celebrate theirOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth ii and iiiNo correction requiredOption D
‘There’ is a demonstrative pronoun. But what we need here s a possessive pronoun(their). ‘Previous year’ and ‘last year’ are the same thing. So statement ii and iii are correct while statement i is incorrect.
- The Last Resort is an adventure Sports Complex near Kathmandu (when you can participate in extremely sports activities like) bungee jumping.
i. where you can participate in extremely sports activities like
ii. where you can participate in extreme sports activities like
iii. when you can participate in extreme sports activities likeOnly iOnly iiOnly iiiBoth ii and iiiNo correction requiredOption B
When we talk about places, we use the relative pronoun ‘where’. Also, ‘extremely’ is an adverb whose usage for describing a noun (sports) is incorrect, so we should use an adjective(extreme). Hence, the correct answer is B.
- A) Post this discussion, airport sources announced that the passengers having long layovers at Chennai airport would soon be provided paid accommodation.
B) During a high-level meeting between officials of the State government and the Airports Authority of India on Wednesday, elaborate discussions were held on the ways and means to provide accommodation to transit passengers.
C) For instance, if a passenger from Tiruchi arrives in Chennai and has to catch another flight to Delhi in four hours’ time, he/she can just be seated at the airport.
D) But in the case of an overnight layover, some form of accommodation may be needed.
E) To facilitate this, the airlines will have to coordinate with the passengers, AAI and State government authorities effectively.AEBCDABCEDBACEDEDBACBACDEOption E
- A) The company on Thursday announced that Twitter users can now save their tweets as drafts and schedule for a specific time.
B) Twitter is all set to roll out the much-needed feature that would let you schedule your tweets.
C) Sometimes you may not want to post something on the app immediately or you might want to wish your friend/colleague or favorite star sharp at twelve.
D) Well, you won’t have to stay up late at night to post a wish as Twitter would now let you schedule the tweet.
E) All this can be done from Twitter’s web app.BACDEBDCEAABCEDBACEDDBCEAOption A
- A) The update will roll out gradually to Chrome 80 and later versions.
B) Chrome used to accept cookies by default, but with the introduction of its SameSite labeling policy, Chrome will block cookies from functioning in a third-party context, unless they carry specific labels.
C) Google announced on Thursday that it will bring its SameSite cookie update back starting July 14th, alongside the launch of Chrome 84.
D) This is supposed to limit which cookies collect data across sites, and in turn, limit the data those websites collect on users.
E) This is part of Chrome’s phased approach to privacy.ABCDEADBECCBAEDCABDEDBACEOption D
Directions(5-7): In the given question, a part of the sentence is given in brackets. Below the sentence three alternatives to the bracketed part are given which may help improve the sentence. Choose the option that reflects the correct use of the phrase in the context of the sentence. In case the given sentence is correct, your answer is (E), i.e., ‘No correction required’.
Directions(8-10): In the given question, there are five sentences A, B, C, D and E, which when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Choose the most logical order of sentences from among the five given choices to construct a coherent paragraph.