Directions: Each sentence below contains 3 blanks followed by 3 words given in a, b, c. You have to choose the sequence in which these words can fill the blanks of the sentence respectively.
- This is a major breakthrough for a council that sets bailiffs on citizens on average a thousand times every month. It’s yet to be seen exactly how Bristol council will follow ___________, but Hammersmith and Fulham has completely stopped using bailiffs to collect council tax following the conclusion of a successful ___________ in April. In a joint venture with self-styled ethical debt collectors Intrum, the London ___________ now emphasises early intervention and tailored affordable payment plans. It is already seeing better collection rates, even on debt that was previously sent back by bailiffs as uncollectible, and written off.
c. pilotabcbacbcaacbNone of theseOption D
- It is tragic that the outcome of this debate – greater European migration control – would almost certainly have ___________ Brexit. In the minds of most British voters, migration has nothing to do with economics or tariffs or trade regulation, except at the margin. This argument is not over trade, but over people being able to control their community’s character and ___________ of change. We can dismiss such control as ___________ bigotry, intolerance and nasty identity politics. That will not stop people voting. To them, such rights are a cry for self-respect and values they hold dear.
c. negatedcabbcacbaacbNone of theseOption A
- These are unsettled times for democratic politics. ___________ by the victory of Eurosceptic coalitions in Austria and in Italy, the neoliberal elites – already ___________ by the Brexit vote and the victory of Donald Trump – now claim democracy is in danger and raise the alarm ___________ a possible return of “fascism”.
c. againstacbabcbacbcaNone of theseOption B
- Politics has become a mere technical issue of managing the established order, a domain reserved for experts. The sovereignty of the people, a notion at the heart of the democratic ideal, has been declared ___________. Post-politics only allows for an alternation in power between the centre-right and the centre-left. The confrontation between different political projects, ___________ for democracy, has been ___________.
c. crucialbaccabacbbcaNone of theseOption D
- In several European countries those resistances have been captured by rightwing parties that have ___________, in a nationalistic and xenophobic vocabulary, the demands of those ___________ by the centre-left. Rightwing populists proclaim they will give back to the people the voice that has been captured by the “elites”. They understand that politics is always partisan and ___________ an us/them confrontation. Furthermore, they recognise the need to mobilise the realm of emotion and sentiment in order to construct collective political identities.
c. articulatedabcbacacbcabNone of theseOption C
- Jewish new year is a time for reflection, and the subject of Labour and antisemitism inevitably ___________ on the list of things to think about this year. Indeed, it was hard to avoid, for on the eve of Rosh Hashanah, the Labour MP Chuka Umunna proclaimed his party to be “institutionally racist” over antisemitism. Folded into this row is a painful aspect of the story: that elements of the left, for whom fighting racism is a deeply held principle, might ___________, underplay or even ___________ this ancient race-hate against Jewish people.
c. reproduceabcbaccabcbaNone of theseOption B
- After a long, hot summer of screaming angrily into its own ___________, the Labour party is finally talking to the outside world again. Or at any rate that’s one way to look at John McDonnell’s plan to curb the gig economy, unveiled at the TUC conference. The shadow chancellor thinks there’s every chance of a general election before too long, given the ___________ state of Brexit negotiations. So while Jeremy Corbyn spent the summer alternately mobilising the faithful at ___________ and going round in circles over antisemitism, McDonnell was returning to the roots of what made the movement so popular in the first place: radical, sweeping, anti-establishment ideas on economic inequality.
c. parlousabcbacbcacabNone of theseOption C
- In defence of Ramos, Ings said, “The rules are the rules and they need to be ___________ without fear and without favour.” But were we to have a racially literate media that was not almost entirely ___________ by middle-upper class white voices, he would know that when it comes to black women, it is not that there are no rules, but that they are not the same. The idea that black women, even of the stature of Serena Williams, have either enjoyed favour or ___________ fear in the face of whiteness is nothing but a bitter joke.
c. dominatedbcacabbacacbNone of theseOption D
- For so many people to die, there need to be failures of leadership at every level of government and ___________ the largest nonprofits. That’s also true at the local level of the mayors, but especially true of the island’s governor, who seemed ___________ by the scale of the disaster and the fear of upsetting the Trump administration. The electricity utility under his control inexplicably ___________ a giant $300m contract to a small firm it found via LinkedIn.
c. awardedabcbcacabbacNone of theseOption A
- With that audience lies Theresa May’s hope of survival. Her Chequers plan is floating motionless in the North Sea, shot down by EU officialsand Tory backbenchers. Negotiations in Brussels are not going well and time is short. To get a ___________, workable deal, the prime minister must make compromises that would outrage her party’s hardliners. And there is no majority in parliament for the kind of ___________ Brexit that those same hardliners could cheer. The walls are closing in, winter is coming, it has been an ___________ journey and tension is building ahead of the season finale.
c. sanebcacabbcacbaNone of theseOption D
One Thought to “English Questions: Fill in the Blanks (NEW PATTERN) Set-104”
great post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!