Daily Current Affairs 8 May 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
3rd edition of UNPCAP inaugurated in New Delhi
The third edition of the United Nations Peacekeeping Course for African Partners (UNPCAP) was inaugurated in New Delhi. The UNPCAP sessions will be held from May 7-25.
- The main purpose of the session is to build and enhance the capacity of the African Troop Contributing Countries to the UN.
- The course is conducted by the Centre for United Nations Peacekeeping in India (CUNPK) in partnership with the US, the Indian Army said in a statement.
- The first and second editions of the course were held in New Delhi in 2016 and 2017, respectively.
India and Guatemala sign agreements to boost cooperation in education sector, counter-terrorism & diplomatic training
India and Guatemala signed series of agreements on May 7 during Vice President Venkaiah Naidu’s visit to the nation.
- During the visit, both the nations agreed to work together to combat terrorism, which is a threat for the international community.
- The two sides signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for expanding cooperation in the area of diplomatic training.
- A pact was also signed for strengthening diplomatic cooperation through Respective Foreign Service Institutes in the educational field.
- A Letter of Intent was handed over to the Guatemalan authorities on organizing a special course for Guatemalan English Teachers in India under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) programme.
74.2% H-1B visas were given to Indians: US
India accounted for 74.2 percent of the total number of H-1B visas issued by the US to technology professionals in 2016 and the next year the figure increased to 75.6 percent according to the report of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- However there has been a drop in the number of new H-1B beneficiaries from India, the report said.
- China with a little over nine percent, comes a distant second after India in terms of number of H-1B visas.
- The H-1B is a visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101(a)(15)(H) which allows U.S. employers to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.
India ranks 4th in Asia-Pacific on power index
India is ranked fourth overall out of 25 nations in the Asia-Pacific region on the inaugural index that measures their overall power.
- The Lowy Institute Asia Power Index, by The Lowy Institute, an Australian think-tank, measures power across 25 countries and territories in the Asia-Pacific region.
- According to the report, US remain the pre-eminent power in Asia, while China, the emerging superpower, is rapidly closing in on the United States.
- Japan and India share major power status. Tokyo is a smart power, while New Delhi is a giant of the future.
Indian Navy inks pact with IIT-Gandhinagar
The Indian Navy has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Indian Institute of Technology-Gandhinagar (IIT-Gn) to promote academic cooperation, enhance scientific understanding of technologies related to defence and undertake research in mutually beneficial areas.
Andhra CM launches NCBN app to implement effective governance
In order to implement effective governance in the state, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu launched the official ‘NCBN’ (Nara Chandrababu Naidu) App.
- The mobile application will notify people in real-time with news updates and will also act as a direct platform for the common people to interact with the government.
e-office system implement in all government departments in UP
The e-office system, aimed at enhancing movement of files, was implemented in all the state government departments of Uttar Pradesh. The new system was announced by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on October 27, 2017.
- Under the e-office arrangements, all the new files will be routed through the new system while the old files and records will be first digitized and then routed on the e-office system.
15th Asia Media Summit to be hosted by India in New Delhi
The 15th Asia Media Summit (AMS) 2018 is being hosted by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, jointly with the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), New Delhi and Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Limited (BECIL), from 10th -12th May, 2018 in New Delhi.
- With the theme, ‘Telling Our Stories – Asia and More’, AMS 2018 aims to encourage dialogue and cooperation in Media Sector in the Region.
Beijing to hold World Robot Conference
The 2018 World Robot Conference will be held in Beijing from August 15 to 19.
Microsoft announces “AI for Accessibility” programme
Harnessing the power of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to help people with disabilities, Microsoft has announced “AI for Accessibility” — a new $25 million, five-year programme for developers globally including in India.
The programme will put AI tools in the hands of developers to accelerate the development of accessible and intelligent AI solutions for people with disabilities.
Russian President chooses to retain Dmitry Medvedev as prime minister for his new term
Russian President Vladimir Putin has chosen to retain Dmitry Medvedev as prime minister for his new term.
- Putin submitted the proposal for premiership to the lower house of parliament, or State Duma, immediately after he was sworn in for his 4th term.
- Medvedev has held the premiership since 2012 when Putin started his 3rd term as president.
Google names Nitin Bawankule head of India cloud business
Tech giant Google has appointed Nitin Bawankule as the country head for Google Cloud India.
Bawankule has been with Google for six years and was previously head of sales for its ecommerce, retail and classifieds and education business.
Nisha Bhalla conferred with ‘WEF 2018’ award
Women Economic Forum (WEF) is the largest global gathering of women entrepreneurs and leaders worldwide.
Nisha Bhalla, a 46-year-old holistic coach and consultant from Mumbai was felicitated at the recently concluded Annual WEF 2018 Awards.
Nadal continues to lead ATP rankings ahead of Federer, Dimitrov 4th
Spain’s Rafael Nadal remained in the number one spot in the latest edition of the men’s Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) world singles rankings with 8,770 points while Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov jumped to the fourth spot.
- Switzerland’s Roger Federer stayed in second place, ahead of Germany’s Alexander Zverev in third spot.