DIRECTIONS(1-5):Fill in the blanks with the suitable option.
A huge floating device designed by Dutch scientists to clean up an island of rubbish in the Pacific Ocean that is three times the size of France has successfully __________ plastic from the high seas for the first time.picked onpicked upLooked outHanded overBroke downOption B
Option A -Picked on- means -to bully.
Option B -Looked out- which means -to watch out.
Option C -Handed over- which means -to pass responsibility to someone else.
Option D -Broke down- which means -to stop working
Option E -Picked up- which means -to collect.
- The vast cleaning system _________ to not only collect discarded fishing nets and large visible plastic objects, but also microplastics.
Are designedIs designingwerewas designingis designedOption E
- The project believes that there may be a premium market for items that _________ using plastic reclaimed from the ocean.
MadeWas madeHave been madeIs madeHas been madeOption C
- Multinationals can all too easily relocate their headquarters and production to _________jurisdiction levies the lowest taxes.
Option A -Whenever- cannot be chosen because it means- every time that.
Option B- Whoever- cannot be chosen because it is used to express- any person who.
Option C -Everywhere- cannot be chosen because it means -to all places- and it does not fit here.
Option D -Some- is irrelevant.
Option E -Whatever- is the best fit for this sentence.
- Since the aftermath of _______2008 financial crisis, when many countries found themselves in dire financial straits, there has been growing demand to rethink the global
regime for taxing multinationals.AAnWhichTheWhenOption D
Option A -A cannot be chosen because it is about a certain incident.
Option B -An cannot be chosen as no word beginning with a vowel follows it
Option C -Which is not relevant and so is option E ‘When’.
Option D -The is the best fit, as a specific crisis is spoken about
Hilary is a middle-class, professional woman(A)/ who is a kleptomaniac,(B)/ stealing not out of covetousness but for the fleeting(C)/ relief it gives her from the tension
building in her head.(D)ABCDNo errorOption A
Part(A) Hilary is a middle-class, professional woman – here in this part, the order of adjective is wrongly used, the sentence should be like this – Hilary is a professional,
- When it comes to breaking glass ceilings,(A)/ Padma Palle, a police officer from Telangana,(B)/ has entered her name in the growing list of woman who are (C)/no longer
confined in the four walls of their house. (D)ABCDEOption C
Part(C) has entered her name in the growing list of woman who are- Here we need the plural form of ‘woman’ that is ‘women’ because she is in the list of ladies, there are
more than one lady in the list. So ‘woman’ will be replaced with ‘women’ in order to make the sentence grammatically correct.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi(A)/ on Monday asserted that(B)/ his government is ensuring that growth(C)/ happens without harming the environment. (D)
- As life went on, her (A)/ need to be (B)/ active, occupy (C)/ and disciplined strengthened. (D)/ No error (E)
In part C of the sentence, the usage of ‘occupy’ is incorrect Instead of it use ‘occupied’.
According to the rule of parallelism, Whenever two or more than two adjectives/verbs/nouns are joined with coordinate conjunction ‘and’ these words should be in
the same degree.
In the given sentence, ‘Active’ is an adjective and ‘disciplined’ is also an adjective of past participle form hence we need to write ‘occupied’ which makes it a past
participle form of the adjective.
- While Prime Minister Narendra Modi wants to make(A)/ President Donald Trump’s forthcoming visit to India(B)/ a memorable one, the United States (US) has signal(C)/ its
desire to drive a hard bargain on trade, making a deal unlikely during the visit. (D)ABCDEOption C
Part (C) a memorable one, the United States (US) has signal – is incorrect because ‘signal’ will be replaced with ‘signalled’. In present perfect tense has is followed by V3
(third form of the verb).
Directions(6-10):Find out which part has an error and mark it as your answer. If there is no error, mark ‘No error’ as your answer.