Daily Current Affairs 1 December 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
100 ASI sites lit up with G20 logo as India assumes presidency
Hundred centrally-protected monuments, including UNESCO world heritage sites spread across the country, were lit up as India assumed the presidency of G20, officials said.
- The Archaelogical Survey of India had said these 100 ASI sites will be lit up from December 1-7, and that all illuminated heritage structures “highlight the G-20 logo over the monument”.
- At the Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, and Fathepur Sikri – all three UNESCO World Heritage sites – the logo will be projected on a unipole installed nearby. Other sites include the Hall and Currency Building in Kolkata, Nalanda university ruins and ancient structures, monuments at Rajgir in Bihar, Basilica of Bom Jesus and Church of Lady of Rosary in Goa, Tipu Sultan’s Palace and the Gol Gumbaz in Karnataka, Sanchi Buddhist monuments and Gwalior Fort in Madhya Pradesh.
Union Minister RK Singh inaugurates ‘Doctor Apke Dwar’ project in Bihar
Union Minister RK Singh inaugurated the Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd’s (REC) Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative for the procurement, operation and maintenance of ten Mobile Health Clinics (MHC) ‘Doctor Apke Dwar’ in Bihar’s Bhojpur district.
- The 10 MHCs, out of which three are exclusively for women, will provide door-step primary health care service to the underprivileged population across all 14 blocks of Bhojpur district in Bihar.
- Free generic medicines shall also be dispensed to the patients. Each MHC will organize over 20 camps per month and see 50-70 patients every day.
- The project aims to facilitate operational expenditure for three years for smooth functioning. The total cost of the project is Rs. 12.68 crore.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
BIS signed MoU with top six Engineering Institutes of India
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with top six engineering institutes of India for introducing Indian standards as an integral part of the curriculum. This is initiative is towards institutionalizing engagement of BIS with the eminent institutes for securing active participation of academia.
- The MoU was signed with Indian Institute of Technology BHU, Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur, Indian Institute of Technology Indore, Indian Institute of Technology Patna, Indian Institute of Technology Madras and National Institute of Technology Trichy for establishment of ‘BIS Standardization Chair Professor’ at these institutes.
- The establishment will promote excellence and leadership in teaching and research & development in the field of Science and various disciplines in the respective institutes.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Yes Bank buys 9.9% stake in JC Flowers ARC
Yes Bank has initially acquired a 9.9% shareholding in JC Flowers ARC. The lender said that it plans to acquire a further 10% shareholding in the asset reconstruction company, subject to requisite regulator approvals.
- Yes Bank intends to participate as a minority shareholder in the ARC, in partnership with JC Flowers.The 9.9% stake represented 12,370,050 equity shares in JC Flowers ARC at ₹11.43 per share.
- Yes Bank and JC Flowers ARC are each in the process of applying for the requisite approvals from RBI.
Stephanie Frappart to be first woman referee at men’s World Cup
Stephanie Frappart will become the first female referee to take charge of a men’s FIFA World Cup game.
- The French official will take charge of the group stage game between Costa Rica and Germany. In the process, she will become the first woman to take charge of a World Cup game in the competition’s 92-year history.
- Brazil’s Neuza Back and Mexican Karen Diaz Medina are the other women officials who have been designated for the same fixture.
Senior journalist Ravish Kumar resigns from NDTV following Adani acquisition
Ramon Magsaysay award-winning journalist Ravish Kumar has resigned from NDTV, just a day after the channel’s founders and promoters Prannoy Roy and Radhika Roy resigned as directors from the board of the news broadcaster’s promoter entity RRPR Holding Private Limited.
- Ravish Kumar has been an integral part of NDTV for more than two decades. He used to host a number of programs including Ravish ki Report, Prime Time, Hum Log and Des Ki Baat.
- This comes amid an open offer by the Adani group to acquire NDTV that is set to close on December 5.
India’s 100 Richest 2022: Gautam Adani tops Forbes rich list
The Forbes India 2022 list of India’s 100 richest is out. As per the list, the combined wealth of India’s 100 richest grew by $25 billion to touch $800 billion. The wealth grew despite the stock market down marginally from a year ago with the biggest dampener being a weaker rupee, which fell by 10 percent over the same period. Gautam Adani has bagged the top stop followed by Mukesh Ambani who is 2nd on the list.
- As per Forbes India, the gain was largely due to a record-breaking feat by infrastructure tycoon Gautam Adani, which changed the pecking order at the top for the first time since 2008.
- India’s richest person has a net worth of $150 billion while richest woman has a net worth of $16.4 billion. There are nine women on the list. The cut-off to be on the list is $1.9 billion.
The top 5 richest Indians in the Forbes 2022 list:
- Gautam Adani (net worth $150 billion)
- Mukesh Ambani (net worth $88 billion)
- Radhakishan Damani (net worth $27.6 billion)
- Cyrus Poonawalla (net worth $21.5 billion)
- Shiv Nadar (net worth $21.4 billion)
South Korea’s Mina Sue Choi Crowned Miss Earth 2022
South Korea’s Mina Sue Choi was crowned Miss Earth 2022 during the pageant’s coronation night at Cove Manila, Okada Hotel, Parañaque City. There were 86 Eco-warriors, and only three queens were awarded the pageant’s three elements titles.
- Miss Fire 2022 is Andrea Aguilera of Columbia, Miss Water 2022 is Nadeen Ayoub of Palestine, and Miss Air 2022 is Sheridan Mortlock of Australia.
- During the pre-pageant activities, Choi bagged a few medals too. She won resort wear, long gown, beach wear, and swimsuit competition
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
EasyJet, Rolls-Royce test “World’s 1st Hydrogen-Run” Aircraft Engine
Airline EasyJet and Aircraft Engine maker Rolls-Royce announced that they have successfully tested a hydrogen-powered aircraft engine, which is described as the World’s First for aviation. They had set a new aviation milestone with the world’s first run of a modern aero engine on hydrogen in a test carried out on land earlier this month.
- The company tested a turboprop fan engine that is used a small regional flights aircraft.
- Green hydrogen for the tests had been generated using tidal and wind energy from Orkney Islands, Scotland.