Daily Current Affairs 11 & 12 September 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Matsya Sampada Yojana completes Two years; to generate 68 lakh employments by the end of 2024-25
The Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) completed its Second anniversary on September 10, 2022.
- The scheme envisages the generation of 68 lakh employment by the end of 2024-25. The Fisheries sector has shown an impressive growth of 14.3 per cent from 2019-20 to 2021-22.
- The Fish production has reached an all-time high of 161.87 lakh tons during 2021-22. The sector saw all-time high exports of 13.64 lakh tonnes amounting to 57 thousand 587 crore rupees, dominated by exports of Shrimps. The PMMSY has supported 31.47 lakh farmers under insurance coverage across the country.
Indian Railways revenue up 38 pc to Rs 95486.58 cr till Aug-end
The overall revenue of Indian Railways at the end of August 2022 was Rs 95,486.58 crore, showing an increase of Rs 26,271.29 crore or 38 per cent over the corresponding period of last year, an official statement said.
- The revenue from passenger traffic was Rs 25,276.54 crore, an increase of Rs 13,574.44 crore (116 per cent) year-on-year.
- Passenger traffic also increased compared to last year in both the segments — reserved and unreserved. The growth from the long distance reserved mail express trains has been sharper than the same in passenger and suburban trains, the Railways said.
Nagaland holds its first ever Naga Mircha Festival at Seihama
In a first of its kind in Nagaland, Naga Mircha (Naga King Chilli) Festival 2022 was organised on September 10,2022 at Seiyhama Village under Kohima district. The festival was sponsored by the Department of Horticulture.
- Considered as the world’s hottest chilli – Naga Mircha (King Chilli) has constantly been placed on the top five in the list of the world’s hottest chilies based on the SHUs. Also referred as ‘Raja Mircha’, ‘Bhoot Jolokia’ or ‘Ghost Pepper’, this chilli attained Geographical Indication (GI) certification in 2008. It belongs to genus Capsicum of family Solanaceae.
Gujarat Govt announces first-ever Cinematic Tourism Policy in Ahmedabad
Gujarat government announced the first-ever Cinematic Tourism Policy in Ahmedabad. The policy will be effective for five years from 2022 to 2027. Announcing the policy, Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel said, this policy will help in strengthening the film infrastructure in the state. It will also bring all the service providers associated with filmmaking on one platform and will boost tourism activities in the State, he added.
- This scheme aims to promote cinematic tourism through the development of film infrastructure and the creation of attractive opportunities for cinema in Gujarat. This scheme offers various financial and non-financial incentives for filmmakers.
North Korea passes new law authorizing its military to ‘automatically’ launch nuclear strikes
North Korea passed a law authorizing its military to execute nuclear first strikes “automatically and immediately” if its leadership comes under attack, according to state media.
- The new law gives the leader Kim Jong Un all the decision-making power concerning the use of nuclear weapons and is “irreversible.
- The nation’s leadership maintained that the “main mission” of its nuclear weapons is to deter a hostile attack and that a nuclear strike would be used only as a last resort.
Goyal launches initiative to connect Indian startups with US investors – SETU
Commerce and industry minister Piyush Goyal has launched an initiative SETU (Supporting Entrepreneurs in Transformation and Upskilling) to connect startups in India to US-based investors.
- SETU is designed to break the geographical barriers between mentors based in the US that are willing to invest in entrepreneurship and sunrise startups in India.
- The initiative would connect startups in India to US-based investors and startup ecosystem leaders with mentorship and assistance in various areas, including funding, market access and commercialisation.
US marks 21st anniversary of 9/11 terror attacks
Americans remembered 9/11 with readings of victims’ names, volunteer work, and other tributes 21 years after the deadliest terror attack on US soil.
- A tolling bell and a moment of silence began the commemoration at ground zero in New York, where the World Trade Center’s twin towers were destroyed by the hijacked-plane attacks of 11th September, 2001.
BANKING & FINANCE
PhonePe tokenizes 14 million debit and credit cards prior to RBI’s deadline
PhonePe said it has tokenised 14 million credit and debit cards on its platform in line with the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) mandate for information security.
- The Walmart-backed company said it has tokenised more than 80 per cent of its active users’ cards since it started the exercise in December 2021.
- PhonePe said it is working with three major card networks, Visa, Mastercard, and RuPay, to meet the regulator’s tokenisation deadline of September 30.
US Open: Carlos Alcaraz wins Men’s Singles title and Iga Swiatek wins women’s singles
Spanish teenager Carlos Alcaraz claimed his maiden Grand Slam title at the US Open and became the youngest man to ascend to the world number one ranking. The 19-year-old dragged his weary body to a 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7/1), 6-3 victory over Norway’s Casper Ruud in the final.
- Alcaraz, the first teenager to claim the top ranking, is the youngest man to win a major title since Rafael Nadal was the same age at the 2005 French Open, and the youngest at the U.S. Open since 19-year-old Pete Sampras in 1990.
- In the US Open Tennis, World number one Iga Swiatek won the women’s singles final. She defeated Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur 6-2, 7-6 in the summit clash in New York. Swiatek is the first Polish woman to win the US Open. It is her 10th career title and third grand Slam.
Sri Lanka defeat Pakistan by 23 runs to lift Asia Cup title in Dubai
In Cricket, Sri Lanka defeated Pakistan by 23 runs to lift their 6th Asia Cup title at the Dubai International Stadium.
- Chasing the target, Pakistan were all out on 147 runs in 20 overs with Mohammad Rizwan top-scored with 55 runs. For Sri Lanka, Pramod Madushan scalped four wickets while Wanindu Hasaranga took three and Chamika Karunaratne bagged two wickets.
- Sri Lanka all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga has been adjudged the Player of the Series while Bhanuka Rajapaksa has been named the Player of the Match for his batting performance in the final.