Daily Current Affairs 14 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
DD releases patriotic song ahead of Independence Day
Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar released a patriotic song called Watan produced by Doordarshan ahead of the Independence Day celebrations.
- The song pays a tribute to New India. It highlights several path-breaking initiatives of the government, including the determination and vision behind the recent successful launch of Chandrayaan 2. The song also pays tribute to the bravery of the country’s armed forces and martyrs.
- Sung by Bollywood singer Javed Ali, written by lyricist Alok Shrivastav and musically composed by Dushyant, the track has been produced by public service broadcaster Doordarshan, Prasar Bharati.
Karnataka launches E-Step to empower student start-ups
The Department of IT, BT and S&T in Karnataka, through Karnataka Innovation and Technology Society (KITS), has launched the E-Step, an initiative to empower student start-ups.
- E-Step focuses on boot camps, mentoring and training programmes which cover various aspects of entrepreneurship. E-Step, an initiative from Start-up Cell, is a specially crafted for students/start-ups/entrepreneurs to understand the basics of entrepreneurship from experienced trainers.
CM Naveen Patnaik inaugurates hockey academy in Bhubaneswar
Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik, has inaugurated a high-performance hockey centre — Naval Tata Hockey Academy (NTHA) — to groom the sports talent in the state.
BANKING & FINANCE
AePS crosses 200 million transactions in July: NPCI
National Payments Corporation of India has announced that Aadhaar enabled Payment System has crossed the milestone of over 200 million transactions during July 2019. The transaction count of AePS stood at 220 million in july 2019.
- AePS is a bank led model which allows basic banking transactions at point of sale
India U-19 cricket team beat Bangladesh by 6 wickets, win tri-series
The Indian U-19 team beat Bangladesh by six wickets and won the U19 Tri-Series title chasing a target of 262.
Chennai duo wins BWF World Senior Badminton title
The Indian duo of Ajith Haridas and Vijay Lancy won the men’s doubles 40-plus title in the Yonex BWF World Senior Badminton Championship held at Katowice, Poland.
India’s Vinesh Phogat claims silver in Medved wrestling event
Top Indian woman wrestler Vinesh Phogat lost to N Malisheva of Russia in the 53kg final of the Medved event in Minsk, Belarus.
Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu wins Rogers Cup 2019
Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu wins Rogers Cup tennis tournament 2019 held in Toronto, Canada. She was the first Canadian to win the event in 50 years. Serena Williams was the runner-up in the final.
Ex-Supreme Court judge Madan Lokur sworn in as a judge of Fiji SC
Justice Madan Lokur, who retired from the Supreme Court of India in December last year, has been appointed as a Judge of the Supreme Court of Fiji.
- He was sworn in by the President of Fiji Maj. Gen. (Retd.) Jioji Konrote, in the presence of the Chief Justice Kamal Kumar and others. This is for the first time that an Indian has been appointed to the Supreme Court of another country.
Alejandro Giammattei elected as Guatemala’s new president
Alejandro Giammattei has been elected as new president of Guatemala. Giammattei will succeed outgoing President Jimmy Morales.
Music star DJ Arafat passes away
Ivory Coast music star DJ Arafat passed away. He issued 11 albums, mainly of “coupe-decale”, a dance music form combining rapid percussion, choppy rhythms with hip hop-style vocals. He was also named “Best Artist of the Year” at the Ivorian “Coupe-decale” Awards in 2016 and 2017.
Former ASG Amarendra Sharan passes away
Senior advocate and former Additional Solicitor General Amarendra Sharan passed away. Sharan was the Additional Solicitor General in the Supreme Court from 2004 to 2009.
“Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar” a book on the life of Sridevi released
The book, titled ‘Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar’ will be launched on Sridevi’s 56th birth anniversary. The book is written by author-screenwriter Satyarth Nayak.
- The booknot only chronicle Sridevi’s journey and successes in the Indian film industry but also her innings after her big screen comeback in 2012 with ‘English Vinglish’.