Daily Current Affairs 14 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Odisha tops list of full immunisation with 90.5% coverage
Odisha has become the only state in the country to achieve 90.5% of immunization apart from the successful vaccination against Covid-19 infection under Mission Indradhanush 4.0.Twenty districts of the state were above 90% in full immunization, and 10 districts were below 90%.
- In a step towards preventive health care for mothers and children, the intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 4.0 has been rolled out in the state from March 7 for boosting full immunization coverage of the targeted women and children.
Gujarat: Sagar Parikrama initiative for fishermen launched from Mandvi
Union Minister Parshottam Rupala launched the Sagar Parikrama initiative from the coast of Mandvi in Gujarat’s Kutch district along the Arabian Sea.
- Sagar Parikrama was flagged off from Mandvi and reached Okha in Devbhumi Dwarka district on the first day.
- Sugar Parikrama is being organised as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, with the participation of senior ministers, government officials, fishermen representatives, entrepreneurs, stakeholders, professionals and scientists from across the country.
PM Modi dedicates building of Rashtriya Raksha University to nation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has dedicated the new complex building of Rashtriya Raksha University- RRU at Lavad village near Gandhinagar in Gujarat to the nation by unveiling a plaque.
- PM also addressed the first convocation of RRU Gandhinagar as a Chief Guest. The University, which is an Institution of National Importance, commenced its operations from 1st October 2020.
Govt launches ‘India Water Pitch-Pilot-Scale Start-up Challenge’, to empower new businesses
Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched the ‘India WaterPitch-Pilot-Scale Start-up Challenge’, under which the government will select 100 start-ups and they will be provided with Rs 20 lakh each as funding support as well as mentorship.
- The new initiative aims at empowering start-ups in the water sector to grow through innovation and design that will drive sustainable economic growth and generate employment opportunities.
- It was launched under the ministry’s Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) 2.0
India ranks 2nd for global investment in digital shopping, Bengaluru tops the list
India is the second-largest global venture capital investment hub for digital shopping companies, growing by a whopping 175% from $8 billion in 2020 to $22 billion in 2021, according to the London & Partners analysis of Dealroom.co investment data.
- On a global scale, India came in second to the US last year, which attracted $51 billion in investment, followed by China at third with $14 billion and the UK at fourth with $7 billion.
- Within India, Bengaluru comes out on top globally with $14 billion worth of Venture Capital (VC) investments in digital shopping in 2021, followed by Gurugram at No. 7 with $4 billion and Mumbai at No. 10 with $3 billion.
- Bengaluru almost tripled its investments from $5 billion in 2020 to take the top spot, ahead of other leading cities in the world – New York City (second), San Francisco (third), London (fourth) and Berlin (fifth).
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI releases the ‘BE(A)WARE’ booklet listing the common modus operandi of online financial fraud
Sharing of confidential information by customers, knowingly or unknowingly, is one of the major causes leading to financial frauds, according to a booklet, “BE(A)WARE”, released by the Reserve Bank of India.
- The booklet gives information on the common modus operandi used by fraudsters and precautions to be taken while carrying out various financial transactions.
- It aims to enhance public awareness about various types of financial frauds perpetrated on gullible customers while carrying out digital payments and other financial transactions.
BOB Financial and CreditAI launch Co-Branded Credit Card for Farmers
BOB Financial Solutions Limited (BFSL), a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of Baroda (BoB), and CreditAI Fintech Pvt Ltd (CAI), a Singapore and Bengaluru based farmer digitisation and credit scoring company have launched Unnati – a co-branded credit card exclusively for farmers. The card has been launched as a contactless offering on the Visa network.
- The Unnati Credit Card will empower Farmers to availagricultural inputs in time and at any-time during the cultivation cycle. Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs) will further help farmers understand and avail the benefits of this card.
- The Unnati Credit Card will work in a ‘closed-loop system’ with an ‘end-use monitoring’ feature to both enable and trace agricultural credit to its last mile.
Odisha, Nabard join hands to increase fish production
The Odisha government and the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) have inked a pact for the creation of fisheries infrastructure to augment fish production in the state.
- The dedicated Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF) would help in the creation of infrastructure facilities in marine and inland sectors.
- It will augment the fish production of the state and Rs 119.8 crore has been initially approved.
LivQuik first PPI to achieve RBI’s PPI interoperability guidelines
Prepaid Payment Instrument (PPI) issuer LivQuik said it has achieved full Interoperability as mandated by the Reserve Bank of India for their Prepaid payments Instruments.
- The company is also the first PPI issuer to have achieved full interoperability, it said in a statement.
- RBI guidelines mandate PPI Issuers to facilitate interoperability for full-KYC wallets by March 31, 2022.
IIFL Securities launches primary markets investment platform OneUp
IIFL Securities launched ‘OneUp’, India’s first primary markets investment platform for investing in initial public offerings (IPOs), non-convertible debentures (NCDs) and sovereign gold bonds (SGBs), among others.
- As per the brokerage, on the OneUp platform, the IPO applications are accepted 24×7 and up to three days before the IPO bidding opens.
- Another unique feature of the OneUp platform is that it allows investors to place bids for others as well, be it, friends or family members, which can increase chances of allotment.
Investment in care services can generate 234 million jobs for women by 2035, says ILO
Investing in universal childcare and long-term care services can generate up to 299 million jobs by 2035. Of these, 234 million (78 per cent) will go to women, according to a new report by International Labor Organization (ILO), the United Nations labour agency.
- According to the report, employment rates of women will rise by 10 percentage points overall, ranging from nine percentage points in Europe and lower-middle and low-income countries in Asia to 12 percentage points in the Arab states, far more than for men.
- This job creation potential by 2035 will be driven by 96 million direct jobs in childcare, 136 million direct jobs in long-term care and 67 million indirect jobs in non-care sectors and for that, an annual investment of $5.4 trillion will be required, the report said.
- The report, titled Care at work: Investing in care leave and services for a more gender equal world of work provides a global overview of national laws and practices regarding care policies, namely maternity protection, paternity, parental and other care-related leave policies, as well as childcare and long-term care services.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Hero Electric, SUN Mobility to Deploy 10,000 Electric Two-Wheelers with Swappable Batteries
Hero Electric said it has partnered with SUN Mobility to deploy 10,000 electric two-wheelers with swappable battery technology.
- As part of the tie-up, Hero would utilise SUN Mobility’s swappable battery technology to deploy about 10,000 electric two-wheelers by the end of next fiscal.
Morgan Stanley trims India’s GDP growth forecast to 7.9% for fiscal 2022-23
US investment bank and financial services company, Morgan Stanley has trimmed India’s economic growth forecast by 50 basis points to 7.9% for the fiscal year 2022-23.
- Furthermore, Stanley raised the country’s retail inflation estimate to 6%, meanwhile, current account deficits are seen to widen by 3% of GDP.
- As higher oil prices torpedo economic recovery worldwide, Morgan Stanley has cut India’s GDP forecast for the fiscal year beginning April 1 by 50 basis points to 7.9 per cent, raised retail inflation projection to 6 per cent and expects current account deficit to widen to 3 per cent of GDP.
RailTel ranks 124 in Fortune India Next 500 list
RailTel jumped 67 positions to rank 124th in the recently announced ‘Fortune India Next 500 list of Year 2022’ list, the rail PSU said in a statement.
- It was ranked 197 in the 2021 list of top midsize companies operating in India.RailTel is one of the largest neutral telecom infrastructure services providers in the country.
- Besides RailTel, there are five more private telecom players on the list.Apart from RailTel, IRCTC is the only Railway PSU featuring in the list, at the rank of 309.
- Moreover, there are 10 (including RailTel) India government companies in the Fortune India 500 list 2022. RailTel is the only telecom PSU on the list.
Spanish Para Badminton International: Paralympics Champion Pramod Bhagat Wins 3 Golds, Sukant Kadam Claims Gold And Silver
Tokyo Paralympics champion Pramod Bhagat struck gold in all the three categories that he participated in at the Spanish Para badminton International II tournament in Vitoria, Spain.
- Sukant Kadam, who is World No 4, also continued his good run and ended his campaign with a gold and a silver in the tournament.
Meghana Sajjanar Beats Mehuli Ghosh to Win Women’s 10m Air Rifle Trials
Meghana Sajjanar, representing Railways, beat West Bengal’s Mehuli Ghosh 16-10 to claim the top spot in the T1 women’s 10m air rifle trials.
- Meghana, a former India international, had finished sixth in the first qualification round with a score of 628.8 after 60 shots, as the top eight moved to the final stages.
- Olympian and former world number one Elavenil Valarivan had topped qualifications with 631.1, while Mehuli finished second with 630.9.
Six Indian boxers clinch gold medal at ASBC Asian Youth & Junior Boxing C’ships
In Boxing, six Indian Junior boxers, led by Vini, Yakshika and Vidhi registered contrasting wins to claim the gold medal at the 2022 ASBC Asian Youth & Junior Boxing Championships in Amman, Jordan.
- Vini, the diminutive boxer from Hisar was facing Karina Tokubay of Kazakhstan in the flyweight 50kg final. Yakshika (52kg) displayed remarkable courage and temperament against Uzbekistan’s Rakhima Bekniyazova to mount a comeback.
- Defending Champion Nikita Chand (60kg) grabbed the yellow metal again as she dominated her bout against Uldana Taubay of Kazakhstan from the beginning which forced the referee to stop the contest in the third round.
- Shrushti Sathe (63kg) was up against Nursulu Suienaly of Kazakhstan who had no answer for the Indian boxer’s reflexes and strong punches.Rudrika (75kg) blanked Kazakhstan’s Shuglya Nalibay 5-0 in a one-sided contest.
- With 21 medals in junior and 18 in youth section, the Indian contingent has secured 39 medals at the prestigious continental tournament where both the age groups of men and women-youth and junior-are being played together.
Ex student protest leader becomes Chile’s youngest president
Left-leaning former student leader Gabriel Boric vowed to improve the lives of all Chileans and attack deep inequality that has sparked massive protests, hours after being inaugurated as the youngest president in the country’s history.
- At 36-years-old, Mr. Boric was only 4 years old when democracy returned to the South American nation following a 17-year military dictatorship that both bloodied and set the groundwork for modern Chile.
- His four-year term begins at a moment when a constituent assembly is drawing up a new constitution for the country to replace one adopted under Pinochet.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Earth’s Defender ‘Vigil’ Introduced By ESA, To Protect Planet From Sun’s Violent Outbursts
The European Space Agency (ESA), introduced its new one-of-a-kind mission meant to protect the Earth from its nearest star.
- Named ‘Vigil’, the mission was launched in the mid-2020s with an aim to defend the planet from the violent outbursts from the Sun.
- ESA revealed that the mission was previously named “Lagrange” after the location the mission spacecraft will be sent but the name has been changed to Vigil which is derived from the Latin word ‘vigilia’ meaning wakefulness.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s 12 books published in this year’s Kolkata book fair
Twelve books penned by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee have been published during the ongoing 45th International Kolkata Book Fair.The books chronicle recent events in her long political innings.
- The 12 books include titles such as ‘Khela Hobe’, referring to TMC’s ‘game is on’ campaign during last year’s assembly elections, and ‘Covider Dinlipi’, which dwells on events during the pandemic.Other books include ‘Duare Sarkar’ (government at doorstep),’Bidhansabhay Mukhyamantri’ (chief minister in assembly),’Loho Pranam Mohiyashi Charane Charane’,’Kalam’ and ‘Kabita Bitan’.Banerjee has penned 114 books in the last two decades.
- Spain will be next year’s theme country for International Kolkata Book Fair, organisers said at the conclusion of the 45th edition of the 14-day event.