Daily Current Affairs 14 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
PM Modi inaugurates Phase 1 of Modi Shaikshanik Sankul in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Prime Minister, Narendra Modi inaugurated the Phase 1 of Modi Shaikshanik Sankul, an educational complex for needy students in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- The project aims to provide facilities to students for holistic development. Prime Minister emphasized young students taking up medicine, engineering, and other such subjects as their major streams for further studies.
HM Amit Shah unveils 14 feet high statue of Lok nayak Jayprakash Narayan at Sitabdiara in Saran district, Bihar
Union Home Minister Amit Shah paid floral tributes to socialist icon Jayaprakash Narayan on his birth anniversary at his ancestral village at Sitabdiara in the Saran district of Bihar. Mr. Shah also unveiled a 14 feet high statue of Lok nayak Jayprakash Narayan at the JP memorial building at his birthplace, Lala Tola,Bihar.
- Speaking on the occasion, Home Minister highlighted the welfare schemes of Union government and said the government is fulfilling dreams of Sampoorna Kranti launched by Jayaprakash Narayan.
- Jayaprakash Narayan is popularly known as JP or Lok Nayak. He was an independent activist, theorist, socialist and political leader. He was born on 11th October 1902 in the village of Sitabdiara, Ballia district, Bihar. He was awarded Bharat Ratna Award in 1999 (Posthumously).
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches ‘Football for All’ programme for promotion of sport among children
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Football for All’ in the state to take the culture of football to the grassroots.
- The Programme has been initiated by FIFA in Odisha in partnership with the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) & Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS).
- Over 43 thousand footballs will be distributed to children in about 2000 schools. This is the first such programme of FIFA in India that aims at promoting football among school children.
Tom Cruise to become the first actor to shoot a movie in outer space
Actor Tom Cruise, who is renowned for pulling off high-octane stunts in his projects, is taking things to the next level and may soon become the first actor to shoot in space.
- The Top Gun actor has reportedly partnered with director Doug Liman on a project that calls for him to perform a spacewalk.
- The Hollywood actor and director have reportedly approached the Universal Filmed Entertainment Group (UFEG) with a proposal for Tom to launch himself up to the International Space Station.
BANKING & FINANCE
IDBI Bank partners Vayana Network on supply chain finance
IDBI Bank said that it has agreed to cooperate with Vayana Network as its first fintech partner to provide end-to-end digitization services.
- According to the bank, this alliance intends to help increase the penetration of supply chain finance in India, which now accounts for only 5% of total outstanding banking assets and less than 1% of the country’s GDP.
SBI chairman unveils next-gen contact centre for personalised customer experience
State Bank of India (SBI), unveiled its next-gen Contact Centre service for an enhanced and more personalized customer experience.
- The revamped Contact Centre will set a new industry benchmark with 30+ banking solutions offered in 12 languages, available 24×7 from the comfort of home. The bank has introduced easy-to-remember 4-digit toll-free numbers (1800-1234 or 1800-2100) to simplify the process further.
- SBI in its presser revealed that 1.5 crore calls are made every month through contact centre, which is available in 12 different languages. It has 3500 agents onboard, reviving delightful experiences to the bank customers. The contact centre is also helping in early stage collections.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IMF cuts global GDP growth projection; IMF expects inflation in India to come down to 4 percent next year
International Monetary Fund has projected that global growth will slow from 6 percent in 2021 to 3.2 percent in 2022 and 2.7 percent in 2023.
- Projecting the growth, IMF said that this will be the weakest growth since 2001, except for the global financial crisis and the acute phase of the pandemic. It said that the world’s largest economies US, China, and the Euro area will continue to stall.
- IMF expects that inflation in India will come down to 4 percent range next year. It said that global inflation will likely peak at 9.5 percent this year before slowing to 4.1 percent by 2024. IMF also warned that a major economic slump is yet to come, and 2023 will feel like a recession to many people.
Ashok Leyland partners IIT Madras to develop hybrid electric vehicles
Ashok Leyland, the flagship company of the Hinduja group and a leading commercial vehicle manufacturer, and researchers at the National Centre for Combustion Research and Development (NCCRD) have joined hands for development and commercialisation of ‘swirl mesh lean direct injection (LDI) system’ for developing hybrid electrical vehicles using turbine technology. NCCRD is an arm of the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
- IIT Madras researchers at NCCRD are developing an indigenously-designed micro gas turbine, whose core is a patented combustion technology called ‘Swirl Mesh Lean Direct Injection (LDI) system.’
- The main powertrain will be the electric motor, but the onboard power would be generated by the micro gas turbine, developed jointly by NCCRD and Aerostrovilos Energy, an IITM-incubated start-up. This micro gas turbine will replace the large battery.
South Indian Bank enters World Book of Records for ‘101 Oonjals’
South Indian Bank bagged a world record for staging and swinging the highest 101 Oonjals’.
- The South Indian Bank organized an event ‘Onnichirikkam Oonjaladam’ and was accoladed with the World Book of Records award for ‘staging and swinging 101 Oonjals’.
- The event ‘Onnichirikkam Oonjaladam’ saw people gathered in large numbers to celebrate unity and prosperity during the ongoing festival season. Swings were made using wood and rope in the traditional way.
Temsula Ao, Naga writer and academician, passes away
Padma Shri awardee Naga writer Temsula Ao passed away at a hospital in Dimapur. She was 80.
- Temsula Ao was a leading writer from northeast India and an academic. She had also served as the Chairperson of the Nagaland State Commission for Women.
- Apart from being conferred with the Padma Shri in 2007, she had also won several awards including the Sahitya Akademi Award, Nagaland Governor’s Award for Distinction in Literature, among others.