Daily Current Affairs 14 October for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Indian Army installs first ever mobile tower at Siachen Glacier
The Siachen Glacier, the world’s highest battlefield at over 15,500 feet, has witnessed a historic milestone with the installation of its first-ever mobile tower.
- The Indian Army, in partnership with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), established a Base Transceiver Station (BTS) at a forward post.
Mumbai climbs to 19th, Bengaluru to 22nd position in Knight Frank’s Global Residential Cities Index 2023
London-based property consultant, Knight Frank, has ranked Mumbai in the 19th position, Bengaluru in the 22nd position, and New Delhi in the 25th position in the Global Prime Residential Index.
- With an annual percentage change of six percent, Mumbai has significantly moved up 76 places to secure the 19th position on Knight Frank’s Global Residential Cities Index Q2 2023, from 95th place in Q2 2022.
- In Q2 2023, Chennai and Kolkata ranked 4th and 5th respectively among the Indian cities and globally were at 39th and 40th ranking on the global index with a price appreciation of 2.5 percent each respectively in the residential asset class.
- The Turkish capital Ankara leads Knight Frank’s Global Residential Cities Index Q2 2023 with the highest growth rate of 105.9 percent, followed by Istanbul at 85.1 percent. Stockholm ranked the lowest in terms of price appreciation (-14.3.0%) on the Global Residential Cities Index.
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB to provide 338m for vaccine production in Bangladesh
Asian Development Bank (ADB) agreed to provide $338 million to Bangladesh for manufacturing vaccines against various diseases.
- The government of Bangladesh has initiated the draft project for producing vaccines locally to give protection against various diseases like COVID-19 and dengue.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Zomato launches intra-city ‘Xtreme’ logistics service for merchants
In a move designed to diversify its revenue stream, online food delivery platform Zomato has begun a logistics service called Xtreme that will enable merchants to send and receive small parcels.
- According to Zomato, merchants can only send intra-city packages that weigh up to 10 kilograms, with the price starting at Rs 35.
- As is the case with Zomato’s food delivery service, merchants can live-track their shipments. According to the details available on the app, Zomato already has more than 300,000 delivery partners under Xtreme.
IOC gets board nod for ₹1,660-cr. investment in green energy JV with NTPC
Indian Oil Corporation, the nation’s biggest oil firm, will invest ₹1,660.15 crore as equity in a newly set up joint venture with energy major NTPC Ltd for setting up renewable power plants.
- In June, IOC and NTPC had formed a 50:50 joint venture company, IndianOil NTPC Green Energy Pvt Ltd, to set up renewable energy projects to meet round-the-clock power requirements of refineries of the oil company.
CM Hemant Soren unveils ‘Juhi’ mascot for Jharkhand Women’s Asian Champions Trophy Ranchi 2023
Jharkhand chief minister Hemant Soren unveiled the mascot for the Jharkhand Women’s Asian Champions Trophy Ranchi 2023, the first international tournament to be hosted in the state since its creation over two decades ago.
- The mascot named Juhi is inspired by the popular elephant at Betla National Park in Palamu district.
- Jharkhand Women’s Asian Champions Trophy Ranchi 2023 will take place from October 27 to November 5. India will be competing in the tournament along with Japan, China, Korea, Malaysia, and Thailand.
England great Sir Alastair Cook announces retirement from all forms of cricket
England’s greatest batter and one of the modern-day’s highest run-scorers at the top in Tests, Sir Alastair Cook, 38, has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
- Alastair Cook retired from Test cricket in 2018 but continued to play on for five more years for his county side, Essex.He has been with Essex in County Championship since his debut season in 2003.
- Cook established himself as an all-time great during a record-breaking England career during which he played 161 Tests, 59 of those as captain, and scored an England record 12,472 Test runs.With 33 tons, Cook also owns the most Test centuries by an England batter.
NTPC becomes only Indian PSU to feature in Forbes ‘World’s Best Employers 2023’ List
India’s largest integrated energy conglomerate, NTPC Limited, has achieved a remarkable distinction by being named one of the “World’s Best Employers 2023” in the Forbes World’s Best Employers list.
- It ranked 261st out of top 700 companies in the World ranking and is the only Indian PSU to figure in the list. This is a testimony that the people practices at NTPC are at par with the top companies in the world.
Actor Michael Douglas to be conferred with Satyajit Ray Excellence in Film Lifetime Award
Hollywood’s veteran actor Michael Douglas will be conferred with the prestigious Satyajit Ray Excellence in Film Lifetime Award at the 54th International Film Festival to be held in Goa, Union minister Anurag Thakur announced.
- The well known Hollywood actor Michael Douglas has mane accolades to his fame. These include two Academy Awards, five Golden Globe Awards, a Primetime Emmy Award, the Cecil B. DeMille Award, and the AFI Life Achievement Award.
Army chief presents the President’s Colours to third battalion
General Manoj Pande, the Chief of Army Staff presented the prestigious ‘President’s Colours’ to the Third Battalion of the Naga Regiment during an impressive Colour presentation parade held at Kumaon Regimental Centre, Ranikhet (Uttarakhand).
- The ‘colour’ — represented by a flag — was presented to the battalion at the Kumaon Regimental Centre (KRC) in Ranikhet. Also called ‘Nishan’, presidential colours are a military tradition, and seen as the recognition of a battalion’s feats