Daily Current Affairs 22 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Andhra Govt ties up with Reliance Retail & Allana Group to help Women SHGs Market Products
The Andhra Pradesh government signed memoranda of understanding with Reliance Retail and Allana Group to help members of women self-help groups market their products.
- The state government launched a scheme Cheyuta to dole out Rs 18,750 to each woman belonging to SC, ST, BC and minority communities every year and help them take up productive activities.
- The government is also soon launching another scheme Aasara under which the debt burden of the SHGs, amounting to about Rs 6,700 crore per annum, will be carried by the state
UP, Israel ink deal for water management in parched Bundelkhand region
The Uttar Pradesh government inked an agreement with the water resources ministry of Israel for the management of water resources in Bundelkhand region of the state.
- Under the project, water management will be done through better agriculture facilities and drip irrigation
- It would prove to be very helpful in mitigating the water scarcity in Bundelkhand region which faces potable water shortage in summers.
“Ek Sankalp-Bujurgo ke naam” campaign in Madhya Pradesh
In Madhya Pradesh, a unique campaign ‘Ek Sankalp – Bujurgo ke naam’ i.e. ‘a commitment for elders’ is being run by the Chhatarpur Police in the midst of corona infection in the state.
- This unique campaign is proving to be a boon for the elderly people living alone in homes during the global pandemic COVID-19.
- In this campaign, the police are taking care of the elderly people from the food to their health.
L&T Launches Interceptor Boat C-454 for Indian Coast Guard
Larsen and Toubro (L&T) Shipbuilding launched interceptor boat ICGS C-454 for the Indian Coast Guard during a ceremony in Surat.
- IB of 27 meter length with average draft of 1.4 mtrs, the boat has an excellent seakeeping, maneuverability, with maximum speed of 45 nautical miles (83 Km/hr) and endurance range of 500 nautical miles.
BANKING & FINANCE
HSBC first foreign bank in India to launch ‘Green Deposit Programme’
HSBC India launched its ‘Green Deposit Programme’ for corporate clients. The deposit scheme will come in the form of a term deposit, which typically attracts higher interests as compared to savings deposits.
- Under this new initiative bank will finance green initiatives such as renewable energy, clean transportation, pollution prevention and control, green building, sustainable water, waste water management and others, providing a simple way for companies to support environmentally-beneficial projects
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
IIM Kozhikode ties up with Swiss firm to support humanitarian
The Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K) and Switzerland-based HELP Logistics have inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to engage in a collaborative partnership and provide consulting services and logistics training for the humanitarian community.
- The MoU, which will be in force for a year, is to carry out activities that integrate efforts to shape supply chains that benefit humanity.
IBM partners with NSDC to offer free digital education platform
IBM announced its collaboration with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) to offer ‘Open P-TECH’, a free digital education platform, focused on emerging technologies and professional development skills.
- As a part of the collaboration, IBM will curate online courses from Open P-TECH platform and offer it to users via NSDC’s eSkill India portal to empower Indian youth on various skills to succeed in future careers.
- Under the partnership, IBM will catalogue its 30-plus Open P-TECH courses on eSkill India portal, with 60+ hours of learning. The programmes will be for learners between 18 to 22 years.
INOX Group becomes official sponsor of Indian Olympic Team for Tokyo 2020
The INOX Group will be the official sponsor of the Indian team for the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) announced.
- The Tokyo Olympics was rescheduled to next year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It will be held from July 23 to August 8 in 2021.
Ronnie O’Sullivan wins sixth World Snooker Championship
Ronnie O’Sullivan won his sixth World Snooker Championship with a dominant victory over Kyren Wilson at the Crucible.
- The win moves him level with Ray Reardon and Steve Davis on six world titles, one shy of Stephen Hendry’s record of seven.
Rajiv Kumar appointed as new Election Commissioner of India
Retired bureaucrat Rajiv Kumar was appointed the election commissioner in place of Ashok Lavasa, who has resigned.
- A 1984-batch IAS officer from Jharkhand cadre, Kumar is currently the chairperson of the Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB). His tenure, which started on April 29, was to end on April 28, 2023.
- Kumar had earlier served as the finance secretary from September 1, 2017 to February 29, 2020. He has served the finance ministry and other ministries of the central government since March 2012.
Ashwani Bhatia appointed as Managing Director of SBI
Ashwani Bhatia has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of the State Bank of India (SBI). Bhatia is at present working as the Deputy Managing Director in SBI. He has been appointed as the MD up to the date of his superannuation that is May 31, 2022.
- Bhatia will be succeeding P K Gupta who superannuated on March 31.
‘One Arranged Murder’: Author Chetan Bhagat’s next to hit stands
The book’s titled “One Arranged Murder” and its cover were revealed by bestselling author Chetan Bhagat. The book will be published by publishing house Westland. It will be Bhagat’s ninth novel and 11th book overall.
- One Arranged Murder’ is a gripping murder mystery set in a backdrop of an arranged marriage.