Daily Current Affairs 24 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Over 7 crore 32 lakh farmer families receive first two instalments of under PMKSNY
Over seven crore 32 lakh farmer families across the country have received the first and second instalments of 2 thousand rupees each under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana amounting to 14 thousand 646 crore rupees.
- Uttar Pradesh with over two crores twenty lakh farmer families topped the list followed by Andhra Pradesh with 72 lakh and Maharastra 50 lakh farmers.
SC Garg led panel’s report on legality of cryptocurrencies and blockchain
“Inter-Ministerial Committee” on legality of cryptocurrencies and blockchain has submitted its report to the Finance Ministry. The Committee recommends that all private cryptocurrencies, except any cryptocurrency issued by the state, be banned in India.
- The committee was set up under the Chairmanship of Economic Affairs Secretary Subhash Chandra Garg in 2017.
Andhra Pradesh first state to reserve 75% private jobs for locals
Andhra Pradesh has become the first state in the country to reserve jobs for locals. The Andhra Pradesh Assembly passed the Andhra Pradesh Employment of Local Candidates in Industries/Factories Act, 2019.
- Industries/Factories Act, 2019 reserves 75% private jobs across all categories in industrial units, factories, joint ventures as well as the project that are in public-private partnership (PPP) mode.
Kerala Tourism launches ‘Nishagandhi Monsoon Ragas’ music fest
‘Monsoon Ragas,’ a music festival, being organised by Kerala Tourism, marks the states successful entry into music tourism, Governor P Sathasivam said.
- The festival would attract more tourists to the state, the governor said while inaugurating the second edition of the five-day music extravaganza.
Maharashtra tops in ATM frauds, Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka follow
Maharashtra reported 233 cases of ATM fraud in 2018-19, the highest in the entire country, Reserve Bank Of India (RBI) data, revealed. The data showed that Delhi grabbed the second spot with 179 cases, followed by Tamil Nadu with 147 cases of ATM fraud.
All toll plaza lanes on national highways to be ‘FASTag lanes’ from Dec 1
To ensure seamless traffic and prevent congestion at toll plazas, the government has decided to declare all lanes at toll fee plaza on national highways as ‘FASTag lanes’ from December 1.
- However, among all lanes, one ‘hybrid lane’ will be allowed at every toll plaza to facilitate and monitor over-dimensional or oversized vehicles, where FASTag and other modes of payment will be accepted.
Indian Navy commissions fifth Dornier Aircraft Squadron
The Indian Navy commissioned its new Dornier Aircraft Squadron in Chennai. This is Indian Navy’s 5th Dornier Aircraft squadron.
India to give Ten thousand scholarships to heirs of liberation war fighters in Bangladesh
Government of India will provide 10,000 scholarships for heirs of the liberation war fighters of Bangladesh called ‘Muktijodhas’ over the next five years under the Nutan India-Bangladesh Maitree Muktijodha Sontan Scholarship Scheme.
NASA to send “first woman and next man” on Moon in 2024
U.S. space agency NASA prepares to send “first woman and next man” on Moon as part of its ambitious Artemis programme in 2024.
- NASA has marked the 50th anniversary of the historic first Moon landing.
Non Aligned Movement Ministerial Meeting held in Venezuela
The Non Aligned movement ministerial meeting was held in Caracas, Venezuela. The ministerial meeting brought together 120 member nations as well as 7 observer countries, 10 multilateral international organisations including the United Nations (UN), and 14 specially invited nations.
BANKING & FINANCE
NPCI ties up with JCB for global RuPay card
Hoping to expand its international presence, the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and JCB International, along with domestic banks, have launched RuPay JCB Global Cards.
- Banks including State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Axis Bank, Union Bank of India, Central Bank of India, Andhra Bank, City Union Bank, and TJSB Bank will issue these cards, which will be accepted in India at all POS terminals and ATMs that accept JCB cards.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
LIC offering Rs 1.25 trillion by 2024 for highway projects, says Gadkari
As part of innovative modes of financing to meet India’s huge infrastructure appetite, insurance giant LIC has agreed to offer Rs 1.25 trillion line of credit by 2024, to fund highway projects, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said.
- Keen on timely execution of the Rs 8.41 trillion ambitious Bharatmala project that aims to lay a grid of highways pan-India, the Road Transport and Highways Ministry has been looking to harness various sources of finances including pension and insurance funds.
Keshav Dutt, Prasun Banerjee chosen for Mohun Bagan Ratna
Two-time Olympic gold medallist Keshav Dutt and former India Football Captain Prasun Banerjee will be conferred the ‘Mohun Bagan Ratna’ during its annual day celebrations on the 29th of this month.
- Mohun Bagan will also felicitate pacer Mohammed Shami, India’s hat-trick hero of the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, while Ashok Chatterjee will be given the Lifetime Achievement award.
- The Mariners will also give Life Memberships to Sourav Ganguly, ChuniGoswami, Dr Vece Paes, Prasenjit Chatterjee and Deb Shankar Halder.
- This is for the first time Mohun Bagan’s executive committee has decided to confer their highest honour to a non-footballer.
- July 29 is celebrated as the ‘Mohun Bagan Day’ because on this day in 1911, the Mariners became the first club to defeat a British club, East YorkshireRegiment, and lift the IFA Shield.
Nigeria to host 2020 U-20 World Cup
The International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) has awarded the hosting rights for the 10th edition of the Under-20 Women’s World Cup to be held in 2020, to Nigeria.
Vivek Kohli elected chairman of Commonwealth TT Federation
India’s Vivek Kohli and M P Singh have been elected as chairman and secretary general respectively of the Commonwealth Table Tennis Federation (CTTF).
National Broadcasting Day
National Broadcasting Day is observed each year on July 23. On this day in 1927, the first ever radio broadcast in the country went on the air from the Bombay Station under a private company, the Indian Broadcasting Company.
- On 8th of June, 1936, the Indian State Broadcasting Service became All India Radio. Since 1927, radio has been an important part in people’s life in India.