Daily Current Affairs 26 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Kerala inked MoU with the Dutch on Cosmos Malabaricus
The Kerala State government entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Netherlands for the Cosmos Malabaricus project that is aimed at shedding further light on the history of Kerala using 18th Century Dutch documents.
- The Cosmos Malabaricus project is being jointly implemented by the Kerala Council for Historical Research (KCHR), the National Archives, and the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. The project will be completed in six years.
1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference-2022 to be held in Mumbai
Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways and AYUSH, Sarbananda Sonowal announced that the 1st Incredible India International Cruise Conference-2022 will be held in Mumbai from 14th to 15th of May.
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Mumbai Port Authority and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) are organizing the two-day event in Mumbai.
- Mr. Sarbananda Sonowal also unveiled the brochure, logo, and the mascot of the Conference- Captain Cruzo. He also launched the event website -www.iiicc2022.in at the press interaction. The conference aims to deliberate on ‘Developing India as a Cruise Hub’.
Govt sets target to eliminate Malaria from the country by 2030: Health Minister
Union Health Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya has said that the government is working on a comprehensive plan towards the elimination of Malaria and Tuberculosis from the country.
- He said the government has set a target of eliminating Malaria from the country by 2030 and making the country TB free by 2025.
- Addressing a function organised on the occasion of World Malaria Day in New Delhi,Mandaviya said that in the days to come, the Health Ministry will launch a comprehensive drive to achieve the goals of eliminating TB and Malaria.
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar virtually interacts with farmers in Krishi Vigyan Kendras across the country
A day long Kisan Mela has been organized at all Krishi Vigyan Kendras across the country, as a part of Kisan Bhagidari Prathmikta Hamari Campaign. Launching the campaign virtually, Agriculture Minister Narendera Singh Tomar interacted with farmers.
- During the week-long campaign, Agriculture Minister will also launch a country wide workshop on crop insurance organised by the common service centre. A webinar on One District One Product will be held by the Ministry of Commerce and Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
Govt to raise number of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras to ten thousand by March 2024
Union Government has set a target to increase the number of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras to ten thousand by March 2024.
- Chemicals and Fertilizers Ministry said that the government has invited applications to open Janaushadhi Kendras in three thousand five hundred 79 Blocks of four hundred six districts of 26 States and Union Territories.
- It highlighted that under the scheme, seven hundred 39 districts of the country have been covered and eight thousand six hundred ten stores have been opened till the last month.
Guadalajara, Mexico named as the UNESCO’s World Book Capital
Guadalajara, Mexico was named World Book Capital for the year 2022 by the Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay, on the recommendation of the World Book Capital Advisory Committee.
- The city was chosen for its comprehensive strategy for policies around the book to stimulate social change, prevent violence, and develop a culture of peace, a UNESCO Creative City since 2017.
- Guadalajara is the twenty-second city to hold the title since 2001, following Tbilisi (2021) and Kuala Lumpur (2020).
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Sebi restructures its advisory committee on market data
Sebi has restructured its advisory committee on market data that recommends policy measures pertaining to areas like securities market data access and privacy.
- Resigning its market data advisory committee, Sebi has said the panel will now have 21 members, as per the latest information with the regulator.Earlier the committee had 20 members.
- The committee is chaired by M S Sahoo, Professor at National Law University, Delhi and former chairperson, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI).
- Apart from Sahoo, the panel has CEOs of stock exchanges and depositories, representatives of various stakeholders and senior officials of Sebi as members.
SIDBI signs MoU to develop MSME ecosystem in West Bengal
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), the leading financial institution for MSME sector, has entered into an MoU with West Bengal Small Industries Development Corporation Limited (WBSIDCL) to develop the ecosystem for micro and small enterprises in the state, a spokesman said.
- The objective of this MoU is to enhance cooperation between the state government and SIDBI to further accelerate the development of MSMEs in West Bengal in a structured and planned manner and facilitate the entrepreneurs with handholding support and financial assistance from SIDBI at a competitive price, for meeting their financial and developmental needs.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
World’s richest man Elon Musk acquires Twitter in 44 billion dollar deal
Twitter has announced to sell its social media company to world’s richest man Elon Musk, in a 44 billion dollar deal.
- The company said its board has accepted an offer from the billionaire to buy Twitter.
- The deal, which was unanimously approved by Twitter’s board, is expected to close this year. Under the deal, Twitter’s shares will be delisted and it will be taken private.
Khelo India 2022: Aryan Panchal wins Gold in Swimming; Vaishnav Thakur from Pune also lifts gold medal in Weightlifting
In the Swimming 200-metre butterfly event, Aryan Panchal won Gold by clocking a timing of 2:04:72 minutes. Raj Relekar from Jain University came second with a timing of 2:09:68 at the Khelo India University Games.Vikas Prabhakar from SRM University came close third by timing 2:10:53 minutes.
- In the Mallakhamb team event, the University of Mumbai earned the first position followed by Savitribai Phule University and Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University.
- In the 98-kilogram senior Weightlifting event, Vaishnav Thakur from Savitribai Phule University, Pune lifted 313 kgs to win the gold medal. Gurpreet Raih from Sant Baba Bhag Singh University lifted 290 kgs to win silver and Punit Chandra Sahu from Kalinga University lifted 285 kgs to be adjudged a bronze medallist.
- In the 76-kg weightlifting event for women, Swathi Kishor from University Of Calicut took the gold by lifting 188 kgs followed by Dhathri Palati of SKN University who lifted 176 kgs.
Andrey Rublev won Men’s Single Title in Serbia Open
Andrey Rublev defeated Novak Djokovic in the final to win the men’s singles title at Serbian Open 2022.
- Competing in the competition for the first time, Rublev outclassed Djokovic 6-2, 6-7(4), 6-0 to claim his win in what turned out to be a hard-fought match.
- Rublev, who dropped only one set as he eliminated Jiri Lehecka, Taro Daniel and Fabio Fognini on his way to the final, has now equaled Rafael Nadal’s mark of three tour-level titles in 2022, after wins in Marseille and Dubai in February.
Emmanuel Macron re-elected for second consecutive term as President of France
Emmanuel Macron has won a second term in France’s presidential election with 58.2 per cent of the vote.
- Macron’s far-right challenger Marine Le Pen won 41.8 per cent of the vote in an election that saw the country’s highest abstention rate in 50 years.
Slovenia Polls: Liberal newcomer Robert Golob defeats three-time PM Janez Janša
Slovenia’s three-time prime minister Janez Jansa was defeated in the national elections after the Freedom Movement (GS) won more votes than his Slovenian Democratic party.
- He was defeated Robert Golob who is a newcomer to Slovenian politics and had established his party in January.
- With around two million people voting in the elections, GS won with a comfortable vote share of 34.5 per cent while Jansa’s SDS could manage only 23.6% of the total votes.
Meghalaya govt’s ‘e-Proposal System’ wins UN Award
The Meghalaya government’s Planning Department’s key initiative of the “e-Proposal System”, wins the coveted UN Award – World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum Prizes 2022.
- The “e-Proposal System”, part of Meghalaya Enterprise Architecture (MeghEA), eliminates 75 per cent physical work of files in government departments.
- An official of the state government said that Meghalaya was selected among the top 360 projects across the world.
Agriculture Dept Ladakh receives PM’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration
The Agriculture Department of Union Territory of Ladakh has received the Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration for the year 2021.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented the award to UT Secretary Ravinder Kumar for Excellence in Public Administration in Innovation- State category, for the Ladakh Greenhouse Project.
- The Award consists of a trophy, citation and a cash award of 20 lakh rupees for the implementation of the project.
Bangladesh educational charity founder Kishore Das selected for Commonwealth Points of Light Award
The founder of educational charity ‘Bidyanando’ Kishroe Kumar Das from Bangladesh has been chosen for the Commonwealth Points of Light Award for his exceptional work in improving access to education for children from marginalised backgrounds, said the British High Commission.
- Kishore Das setup Bidyanando in 2013 with just 22 students. It now runs five primary schools which provide free education as well as academic coaching sessions and scholarship programmes to help children continue into higher education.
- Kishore has also started a meal programme, ‘Ek takay aahar’ (Meal for one Taka), which has provided more than 10,000 nutritious meals for vulnerable people, particularly children and those who are homeless.
India Creates Guinness Record for Simultaneous Waving of More than 78,000 National Flags
India has entered the Guinness Book of World Records for waving the maximum number of national flags simultaneously, the Ministry of Culture said.
- It said 78,220 tricolors were waved at the Veer Kunwar Singh Vijayotsav programme organised at Duler Ground in Jagdishpur in the presence of Home Minister Amit Shah.
- The event was held to pay a tribute to the victory of the then King of Jagdishpur, Veer Kunwar Singh, one of the heroes of the freedom struggle of 1857, the ministry said. The event was organised by the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of Culture under the ’Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’, the 75th anniversary of India’s Independence.
Versatile Malayalam Screenwriter and producer John Paul passes away
AIRVersatile Malayalam Screenwriter and producer John Paul passed away in Kochi. He was 71.
- John Paul has penned screenplays for several Malayalam films like Chamaram, Oru Minnaminunginte Nurunguvettam, Kattathekilikoodu, Yatra, Malootty, besides several other critically acclaimed movies and commercial entertainers. He also authored several books related to Malayalam cinema.
- The veteran screenwriter has won several awards including the national award for the best environmental film, the film critics award for script and documentaries, and a special jury award instituted by the International Federation of Film Critics among others.