Daily Current Affairs 25 October 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
‘Paika Bidroha’ to be named as 1st War of Independence
HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar announced that the ‘Paika Bidroha’ (Paika rebellion) of 1817 will find a place in the history books as ‘the First War of Independence’ from the next academic session. ‘Paika Bidroha’ against the British rule took place four decades before the 1857 Sepoy Mutiny, which has so far been regarded as the First War of Indian Independence.
Deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to govt schemes extended till March 31, 2018
The Centre told the Supreme Court that the deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to avail benefits of various government schemes would be extended till 31st of March, 2018,
- Attorney General K K Venugopal told the apex court bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra that extension of the deadline would apply only to those persons who do not have Aadhaar and are willing to enrol for it.
India grants USD 585,000 aid to Sri Lanka university
India provided equipment and vehicles worth USD 585,000 to a university in Sri Lanka’s Tamil-dominated Jaffna city as part of its development partnership with the country in the field of higher education.
- The assistance package was given to develop agriculture as well as engineering faculty on the Killinochchi campus of University of Jaffna.
Indian ship in Indonesia for joint exercise – CORPAT
Indian Naval ship Sukanya reached Belawan port, Indonesia to take part in the 30th edition of CORPAT (Coordinated Patrol) and third Bilateral exercise between the Indian and Indonesian navies. The exercise is aimed at fostering closer maritime ties with countries located on the rim of the Indian Ocean.
Singapore passport is world’s ‘most powerful’
Singapore’s passport has been announced as the most powerful in the world as it secured the top spot in the Passport Index’ most powerful ranking with a visa-free score of 159. This is the first time an Asian country has been announced as having the most powerful passport, according to the Passport Index developed by global financial advisory firm Arton Capital.
- India, which was listed 78th last year, has improved its ranking, figuring at 75th position with a visa-free score of 51.
Bangladesh signs gas oil deal with India
Bangladesh has signed a long-term sales and purchase agreement with an Indian refiner to import gas oil to meet the country’s energy demand. Deal between Bangladesh Petroleum Corp. (BPC) and Numaligarh Refinery Ltd (NRL) in Assam has been signed for the same.
Chile named best country to visit in 2018
Chile has been named the best country to visit next year by Lonely Planet in its ‘Best in Travel 2018’ list. South Korea and Portugal have ranked second and third respectively.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI fines Yes Bank Rs 6 cr, IDFC Bank Rs 2 cr for non-compliance
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of Rs 6 crore on Yes Bank and fined IDFC Bank Rs 2 crore for not complying with the directions of the central bank.
- While Yes Bank delayed reporting an information security incident involving its ATMs and failed to comply with the RBI’s direction on Income Recognition Asset Classification (IRAC norms), IDFC Bank was penalised for breaching regulatory restrictions related to loans and advances.
Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) Sign $300 Million Loan
The Asian Development Bank and the Government of India signed a $300 million loan to continue a series of fiscal reforms in the State of West Bengal to improve the quality of public service delivery.
- The Program aims to further deepen the reforms with focus on expenditure rationalization, improvement in revenue administration, and facilitation of more private investment in the state.
IDFC Bank launches 100th branch at Honnali, Karnataka
IDFC Bank has launched its 100th branch at Honnali, Karnataka and plans to expand its network in the metros in the next one year.
Petroleum Ministry launches Rs 320 cr startup fund
In a novel initiative by the Petroleum Ministry, 10 oil and gas companies under it launched a startup programme for entrepreneurs with a fund corpus of Rs 320 crore to be disbursed over a 3-year period to support innovations in the energy sector.
- The scheme was launched with memoranda of understanding (MoU) being signed by 36 startups for partnering with various state-run firms like Indian Oil, Hindustan Petroleum and GAIL India, which is India’s largest gas transmission utility.
Manav Thakkar First Indian to Top ITTF Junior Circuit Rankings
Manav Thakkar became the first Indian to occupy the top spot (3,455 points) on the ITTF World Junior Circuit standings. Thakkar was previously placed at No. 5 position and the rise to the top spot must have given him the boost that he needed after finishing runner-up at the 2017 Serbian Junior and Cadet Open.
Scott Fleming named NBA India Operations head
Scott Fleming, former India men’s national team head coach, has joined NBA India as Head of Basketball Operations. He will oversee the league’s youth and elite basketball development in India, including the Reliance Foundation Jr. NBA program, NBA Academy India and NBA Basketball School.
South African Indian-origin couple wins top US award for AIDS research
A globally-acclaimed South African Indian-origin researcher couple was honoured with a prestigious US award for their exceptional contributions in the field of HIV/AIDS.
- Professors Salim Abdool Karim and Quarraisha Abdool Karim received the award from the Institute for Human Virology (IHV) in Baltimore in the US.
Thumri queen Girija Devi passes away at 88
Thumri exponent and veteran classical singer, Girija Devi, has passed away following a cardiac arrest.