Daily Current Affairs 30 & 31 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Fiji to host 12th World Hindi Conference in 2023
Fiji will be hosting the 12th World Hindi Conference next year from February 15-17, 2023, the Ministry of External Affairs said at an event in New Delhi.
- Fiji is privileged to be the first country in the Pacific to host the prestigious event and hailed the partnership with India.
- The three-day conference would be held in the Fijian city of Nadi.
WHO releases first-ever list of fungal infection, flags global health threat
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has published a report highlighting the first-ever list of fungal “priority pathogens” – a catalogue of the 19 fungi that represent the greatest threat to public health.
- The WHO fungal priority pathogens list (FPPL) is the first global effort to systematically prioritize fungal pathogens, considering the unmet research and development (R&D) needs and the perceived public health importance. This report is based on research led by the University of Sydney in Australia.
- Emerging evidence indicates that the incidence and geographic range of fungal diseases are both expanding worldwide due to global warming and the increase of international travel and trade. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the reported incidence of invasive fungal infections increased significantly among hospitalized patients. As the fungi that cause common infections (such as candida oral and vaginal thrush) become increasingly resistant to treatment, risks for the development of more invasive forms of infections in the general population are also growing.
India’s per capita GHG emissions far below world average
At 2.4 tCO2e (tonne carbon dioxide equivalent), India’s per capita greenhouse gas emissions were far below the world average of 6.3 tCO2e in 2020, according to a new report released by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- The “Emissions Gap Report 2022: The Closing Window”, released ahead of the UN Climate Change Conference (COP27) in Egypt next month, also said the international community is still falling far short of the Paris goals, with no credible pathway to limiting global temperature rise to 1.5° C in place.
- To address climate change, countries adopted the Paris Agreement in 2015 to limit global temperature rise in this century to well below 2° C, preferably to 1.5° C, compared to pre-industrial levels.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s foreign exchange reserves hit another low as RBI’s rupee defense makes it burn $118 billion
India’s foreign exchange reserves further fell to an over two-year low for the week ended October 14, as the central bank continued to defend the rupee’s downslide while ignoring depleting forex reserves to be a major concern.
- The foreign exchange reserves of Asia’s third largest economy fell by $3.85 billion to $524.52 billion for the week ending Oct 21, according to data released by the Reserve Bank of India.
- The spot forex reserves have fallen from $607 billion in end-March and depleted by $117.93 billion from the record high of $642.45 billion seen on September 3 last year.
Tata, Airbus to make C-295 transport aircraft for IAF in Gujarat
A consortium led by the Tata group and Airbus will manufacture the C-295 transport aircraft in Gujarat, the government said in a statement.The total cost of the project is ₹21,935 crore.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the transport aircraft manufacturing project for the Indian Air Force (IAF) at Vadodara, Gujarat.
- As part of the contract, 16 aircraft will be delivered in flyaway condition and 40 will be manufactured in India by the Indian Aircraft Contractor, Tata Consortium of Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) led by TASL.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Dabur India to acquire 51% stake in Badshah Masala for Rs 587.52 crore
FMCG giant Dabur India revealed that it would pay Rs 587.52 crore to acquire a 51% share in Badshah Masala Private Limited. Dabur has forayed into the branded spices and seasonings business in India, which is estimated to be worth over Rs25,000 crore. It will take five years to acquire the remaining 49%.
- The company Badshah Masala manufactures, markets, and exports ground spices, spice blends, and seasonings. According to Dabur, the acquisition is consistent with the company’s strategic goal of expanding into new adjacent food categories.
RRR won best International Film at Saturn Awards 2022
SS Rajamouli’s magnum opus, which recently hit the screens in Japan, has won its first major international honour. The biggie won the ‘Best International Film’ honour at the Saturn Awards 2022, which were held in Los Angeles.
- RRR, which grossed nearly Rs 1,200 crore at the worldwide box office, has bagged its first major international honour.
- RRR is a period drama that features Jr NTR and Ram Charan as the tribal leader Komaram Bheem, and the revolutionary Alluri Sita Rama Raju, respectively. The fictional saga deals with their friendship and highlights their fight against oppression.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Shiprocket becomes first inter-city logistics provider to join ONDC network
Shiprocket, a shipping and logistics solutions provider, has gone live on the government’s Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) and made its first successful transaction.
- Shiprocket said it is the first inter-city logistics provider to plug into the ONDC network, enabling sellers from all segments to ship products to cities and towns across India.
- Shiprocket, which serves more than 100,000 customers, will enable sellers from 24,000 pin codes to select delivery partners to ship products across India, through both cash-on-delivery and pre-paid options.
Centre approves Terai Elephant Reserve in Uttar Pradesh
The Centre has approved setting up Terai Elephant Reserve (TER) at Dudhwa-Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh. The new Reserve, spread over 3,049 sq km area, will be India’s 33rd Elephant Reserve – a management entity that includes protected areas, forest areas and corridors for conservation of wild elephants.
- The TER will be developed in the joint forest areas of Dudhwa and Piliphit tiger reserves, covering conservation of four wild species such as tiger, Asian elephant, swamp deer and one-horned rhinoceros in the entire landscape that also includes Kishanpur and Katarniaghat wildlife sanctuaries.
Veteran Assamese actor Nipon Goswami passes away
Veteran Assamese actor Nipon Goswami died at a private hospital following a prolonged illness. He was 80.
- He began his film career as the lead actor of the Assamese movie ‘Sangram’ which was a hit movie and he followed it up by another superhit ‘Dr Bezbarua’.
- Goswami has acted in 50 Assamese films. His last film Assamese film was ‘Lankakanda’ by Rajani Barman.He had acted in seven Hindi films and he had also acted in a few television serials including ‘Ritu Aahe Ritu Jaai’.
- Goswami was also actively associated with the state’s unique mobile theatre and had over the years been a part of Abahan, Kohinoor, Hengul and Shakuntala theatre companies.