NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Shri Sarbananda Sonowal flags off domestic sailing of the first International Cruise Liner in India
Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and AYUSH Shri Sarbananda Sonowal flagged off the maiden voyage of the vessel Costa Serena, the first International Cruise Liner in India from Mumbai.
- Costa Cruises is expected to carry approximately 45,000 passengers in its next 2 months voyages.
- Such cruise initiatives are part of ‘Dekho Apna Desh’, launched on Prime Minister’s appeal to the middle class to prefer domestic tourism over international.
Kerala to launch multi-language microsites to boost religious tourism
Kerala Tourism is to come out with a set of microsites to promote State’s rich and diverse heritage, highlighting features of important places of worship.
- As part of this, a microsite that provides a wide range of information in different languages on Sabarimala will be unveiled.
- The revamped microsite on the hills-shrine in Pathanamthitta district will have comprehensive information in five languages: English, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada and Telugu. The ₹61.36-lakh project will also feature e-brochures on pilgrimage to the hill-shrine.
India To Host World Telecommunication Standardisation Assembly In 2024: Vaishnaw
India is going to host the World Telecommunication Standardisation Assembly (WTSA) next year, a step to move forward in 5G and 6G networks, said Union Communication & IT Minister, Ashwini Vaishnaw in New Delhi. It was announced at the inaugural session of the seventh India Mobile Congress.
- The WTSA conference is held every four years, and the last WTSA was held in Geneva, Switzerland. It defines the next study period for the ITU-T.
NCERT to add content on electoral literacy in school textbooks; EC, Education Ministry sign MoU
In a bid to address voter apathy among young Indians, the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) will both introduce and update textbooks to include content on electoral literacy and will advise State Education Boards and other Boards to follow suit.
- Beginning with classes 6 to 12 in all schools, this integration will also extend to the curricular framework for all colleges and universities, tailored to suit different disciplines and credited accordingly.
- The measures are part of a Memorandum of Understanding signed between the Election Commission of India and the Education Ministry. It is aimed at extending the ECI’s flagship Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) in schools and colleges.
ECI designed in-house software for complete Candidate and election management through ‘ENCORE’
The Election Commission of India has designed in-house software for complete Candidate and election management through ‘ENCORE’ which stands for Enabling Communications on Real-time Environment.
- This provides a seamless facility for Returning Officers to process candidate nomination, affidavit, Voter turnout, counting, results and data management.
- The ENCORE counting application is an end-to-end application for returning officers to digitize the votes polled, tabulate the round-wise data and then take out various statutory reports of counting.
Mobility and Migration Partnership Agreement signed between India and Italy to facilitate movement of workers, students and professionals
India and Italy signed the Mobility and Migration Partnership Agreement to enable seamless movement of workers, students and professionals after External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar held a comprehensive and productive meeting with his counterpart Antonio Tajani in Rome.
- They conversed about deepening India-Italy strategic partnership. They agreed that potential in agro-tech, innovation, space, defence and the digital domain should be explored. The two leaders also spoke about the West Asia situation, Ukraine conflict and the Indo-Pacific landscape in detail.
India and UAE pen MoU to foster education connect between two countries
Union Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Minister Dharmendra Pradhan signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with United Arab Emirates (UAE) Minister of Education Dr. Ahmad Al Falasi in Abu Dhabi. The MoU aims to strengthen the existing cooperation in the field of educational institutions in India and UAE.
- This MoU encompasses various aspects, including the Exchange of Information in Education, Capacity Development of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) teaching staff, and the Facilitation of academic collaboration between Higher Education Institutions in both countries.
BANKING & FINANCE
Zurich Insurance Group to take 51 per cent stake in Kotak General Insurance
Marking the maiden joint venture in the general insurance business, Kotak Mahindra Bank said that it has entered into definitive agreements with Zurich Insurance Company Ltd., whereby the Zurich will invest approximately ₹4,051 crore to acquire a 51 per cent stake in Kotak General Insurance.
- Capital will be deployed through a combination of fresh issuance and share purchases, though the split between the two hasn’t been revealed.
- The share purchase agreement permits Zurich to acquire an additional stake of 19 per cent within a period of three years from its initial acquisition.
Indian diplomat re-elected to serve on UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions
Senior Indian diplomat Surendra Adhana has been re-elected to serve on the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ) at the UN for the term 2024-26.
- Counsellor Adhana at India’s Permanent Mission to the UN has been re-elected by acclamation to serve on the ACABQ.
- The Advisory Committee is an expert Committee of 21 Members elected by the General Assembly for a period of three years, on the basis of a broad geographical representation.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi as Elected Chairman of Shree Somnath Trust for Five-Year Term
In a historic development, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been elected as the chairman of the Shree Somnath Trust (SST) for a five-year term, marking a significant departure from the traditional one-year tenure for the trust’s chairman.
- The decision, approved by the charity commissioner of Gujarat, underscores the importance of continuity and leadership in managing the iconic Somnath temple near Veraval.
- At the 122nd meeting of the SST’s board of trustees held at Raj Bhavan in Gandhinagar, Prime Minister Modi, the incumbent chairman, was re-elected to the position for a five-year term.