Daily Current Affairs 6 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Bengal CM launches TMC’s new campaign ‘Didir Suraksha Kavach’
Ahead of the West Bengal panchayat polls which is due this year, the ruling Trinamool Congress launched a new campaign “Didir Suraksha Kavach” to reach out to the people.
- The party will start the campaign on January 11 and will continue with it for 60 days. Our party workers will reach out to the people across the state and ensure that everyone can avail of the welfare schemes of the state government.
Cabinet approves naming of airport at Goa’s Mopa after Manohar Parrikar
Mopa airport, which was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in December 2022, start domestic operations in Goa.
- The Union Cabinet gave ex-post facto approval for naming Greenfield International Airport Mopa in Goa as ‘Manohar International Airport–Mopa, Goa’, as a mark of tribute to Late Manohar Parrikar, former Defence Minister and four-time Goa Chief Minister.
India to achieve 50 lakh metric tonnes capacity of green hydrogen production before deadline of 2030
Power and New and Renewable Energy Minister R K Singh has said that India will emerge as the most competitive source of green hydrogen and ammonia for the world. Terming the Union Cabinet’s decision for the National Green Hydrogen Mission a bold and pioneering step, the Minister expressed confidence that the country will achieve the five million metric tonnes of annual production of green hydrogen before the deadline of 2030.
- Mr. Singh said, the country is working to reduce the dependence on fossil fuel imports and the Green Hydrogen Mission will help in achieving energy autonomy. He said, the country has a competitive advantage in the production of green hydrogen as it has the necessary resources and a strong and thriving industry in the green energy sector.
Hydro Tourism to be developed at world’s highest hydro power project on Indus river, near Alchi in Leh
In Ladakh, Tourism Department is adding another feather to its cap with plans to start Hydro tourism. Ladakh Tourism department in collaboration with National Hydroelectric Power Corporation, NHPC, is planning aquatic sports to begin Hydro tourism at world’s highest hydro power project on the Indus river, near Alchi in Leh.
- Aquatic sports like Kayaking, Jet Skiing, Motorboating, Ice Skating during winter, and boating during the summer season will be rolled out in a phased manner.
- Similarly, tourism department is also introducing border tourism in cooperation with Fire and Fury Corps of Indian Army.
BANKING & FINANCE
Govt announces General Provident Fund (GPF), CPF interest rates for Jan-Mar 2023 quarter
The Ministry of Finance has kept the interest rate of GPF or General Provident Fund unchanged at 7.1% for the January-March quarter of 2023. According to a resolution released by the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), Ministry of Finance, the interest rate on GPF and other similar funds will continue to be 7.1% for the January-March quarter of 2023.These rates are effective from 1 January to 31 March, 2023.
- The government revises the interest rate on GPF every quarter. In the previous quarter ended 31 December, 2022, the GPF interest was similar at 7.1%.
- The 7.1% rate of interest of is also applicable to other government-run provident funds including the Contributory Provident Fund, All India Services Provident Fund, Armed Forces Personnel Provident Fund, State Railway Provident Fund, among others.
IndusInd Bank partners Qatar and British Airways to launch co-branded credit card
IndusInd Bank, British Airways Executive Club and Qatar Airways Privilege Club announced a partnership to introduce a multi-branded credit card, powered by Visa.
- The multi-branded credit card is slated to be launched and made available to consumers in the first quarter of the financial year 2023-24.
- Through this, members will be able to collect Avios, the rewards currency for British Airways Executive Club and Qatar Airways Privilege Club, by signing up and choosing their preferred loyalty programme.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Citigroup cuts India’s current account deficit forecast to below 3% of GDP
Citigroup lowered its projection for India’s current account deficit (CAD) to 2.9% of gross domestic product (GDP) for the current fiscal year, citing the growth in the country’s service exports and a lower oil price forecast.
- The brokerage had, in August last year, said it expected India’s CAD to be as high as 3.9% of GDP for the fiscal year ending March 2023.
- Net exports of services rose 35% to $34.5 billion in the second quarter of the current fiscal.
- Citi also revised its CAD forecast for fiscal 2023-24 to 2.2% of GDP, from 2.4% earlier.
Odisha wins World Habitat Award 2023 for its JAGA Mission
Odisha won the UN-Habitat’s World Habitat Awards 2023 for Jaga Mission, a 5T initiative of the state.
- The awards recognise and highlight innovative, outstanding and revolutionary housing ideas, projects and programmes from across the world.
- The Jaga mission is the land titling and slum upgrading program that aims at empowering the lives of slum dwellers.
Writer Ambikasuthan Mangad wins Odakkuzhal Award for his prescient ‘Pranavayu’
Writer Ambikasuthan Mangad has won this year’s prestigious ‘Odakkuzhal’ award for his short story ‘Pranavayu’ (Breath of Life).
- Written in 2015, ‘Pranavayu’ tells the story of a dystopian world where people have to buy oxygen kits to survive. Six years later, in 2021, it became one of Kerala’s most read stories as Indians across the country gasped for oxygen during the Covid pandemic.
- In 2020, the first year of the pandemic, the story was translated into English by Prasad Pannian, an associate professor at the Central University of Kerala, Kasaragod.
17th Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award 2023 announced
27 Indians living overseas have been chosen by the Indian government for the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards (PBSA), for outstanding achievements both in India and abroad.
- The award is the highest honour conferred upon Indians living abroad, including Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) or organisations/institutions established and run by them.
- The awards will be conferred upon the recipients by President Droupadi Murmu during the 17th edition of the PBSA, which is scheduled to be held from 8-10 January in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.