Daily Current Affairs 8 December 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Meghalaya govt unveils Asia’s first drone delivery hub
The Meghalaya government in partnership with startup TechEagle has unveiled Asia’s first drone delivery hub and network which is aimed at providing universal access to healthcare for the people in the state, a release said.
- The project is aimed at delivering vital supplies like drugs, diagnostic samples, vaccines, blood and blood components quickly and safely to different regions of the state using a dedicated drone delivery network.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI hikes repo rate by 35 bps to 6.25%, cuts FY23 GDP forecast to 6.8%
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) raised the benchmark lending rate by 35 basis points (bps)to 6.25 per cent – the fifth increase since May – saying it remains focused on bringing down the inflation to a tolerable limit.
- The six-member MPC, which held its bi-monthly policy meeting from December 5 to 7, remained focused on withdrawing accommodation.
- The Standing Deposit Facility rate – which represents the floor of the interest rate corridor, is now 35 bps higher at 6 per cent. The Marginal Standing Facility rate, which is the upper band of the interest rate corridor, has also been increased by 35 bps to 6.50 per cent.
- Simultaneously, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) lowered the GDP projection for FY23 to 6.8 per cent from 7 per cent earlier even as the retail inflation projection for FY23 was left unchanged at 6.7 per cent.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Flipkart, Walmart ink MoU with NSIC to speed up capacity creation for MSMEs
Homegrown e-commerce brand Flipkart and its parent, US retailer Walmart, have announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) to jointly accelerate capacity building for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) across India.
- The partners also seek to support MSMEs in their quest to become part of local and global retail supply chains.
- The MoU was signed at the Walmart Vriddhi Seller Summit in New Delhi, an event that marked the completion of training by 20,000 MSMEs under the Walmart Vriddhi Supplier Development Program (Walmart Vriddhi).
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu clinches silver at Weightlifting World Championship in Colombia
Olympic silver medallist Mirabai Chanu won silver at the 2022 World Weightlifting Championships in Colombia. She beat the Tokyo 2020 champion Hou Zhihua of China.
- Mirabai lifted a combined weight of 200 kg compared to Zhihua’s total of 198 kg. This was Mirabai’s second medal at the World Championships, having previously won gold in 2017 with a lift of 194 kg.
- Meanwhile, China’s Jiang Huihua took home the gold medal with a combined weight of 206 kg.
Aditya Mittal becomes India’s 77th GM
Sixteen-year-old Aditya Mittal has become India’s 77th chess Grandmaster during an ongoing tournament in Spain.
- The Mumbai player, who had secured three GM norms, crossed 2,500 ELO points mark during the sixth round of the ongoing Ellobregat Open tournament in Spain. He drew the game against Spain’s No.1 Francisco Vallejo Pons to achieve the feat.
- Mittal is also the fifth Indian to achieve the GM title in 2022 after Bharath Subramaniyam, Rahul Srivatshav, V Pranav V and Pranav Anand.
K.V. Suresh Kumar takes over as CMD of BHAVINI
Shri K.V. Suresh Kumar, Distinguished Scientist of Department of Atomic Energy has assumed charge as Chairman and Managing Director of Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI) at Kalpakkam. His tenure will be for three years.
- Suresh Kumar is a graduate in Chemical Engineering and joined Department of Atomic Energy at BARC Training School in Mumbai (29th batch) in1985.
Peru gets its first female president after Pedro Castillo is impeached
Dina Boluarte was sworn in at Congress as the first female President of Peru and the sixth one in five years.
- Boluarte, Peruvian former vice president succeeded her former principal, Pedro Castillo who was impeached and arrested for scheming to dissolve parliament.
- Castillo was impeached by a majority of 101 members in the 130-person legislative body, the same lawmakers that installed Boluarte a few hours later.
Volodymyr Zelensky Is TIME’s 2022 Person of the Year
Time magazine named President Volodymyr Zelensky as well as “the spirit of Ukraine” as its 2022 person of the year, for the resistance the country has shown in the face of Russia’s invasion.
- Zelensky shares the 2022 title with “the spirit of Ukraine,” which Felsenthal said was embodied by the “countless individuals inside and outside the country” who fought behind the scenes, including everyday people such as chefs and surgeons.
Other categories winners:
Time Heroes of the Year:
Women in Iran were named the Time Heroes of the Year. Iranian women who are protesting for over three months against the custodial death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini
Time’s Entertainer of the year: The South Korean K-pop band Blackpink were recognised as.
Athlete of the Year: American baseball player Aaron Judge.
Icon of the Year: Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh .
Oxford dictionary chooses ‘Goblin Mode’ as word of year 2022
Oxford Dictionaries said that “goblin mode” has been selected by an online vote as its word of the year.
- It defines the term as “a type of behavior which is unapologetically self-indulgent, lazy, slovenly, or greedy, typically in a way that rejects social norms or expectations.”
- In 2021, the Oxford word of the year was “vax”.
Bank of Baroda wins EAG Laureate award on Financial Security
State-owned Bank of Baroda has said it has bagged an EAG Laureate award in the International Olympiad of Financial Security held at Sochi, Russia.
- The Eurasian group on combating money laundering and terrorism (EAG) is a FATF type regional which comprises of 9 members including India.The 9 countries are: Belarus, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, India, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. EAG is an associate member of the FATF.