Daily Current Affairs 8 November 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Haryana Forest Department and USAID launch initiative to increase tree coverage
The Forest Department and the US Agency for International Development (USAID) have launched the “Trees outside forests in India (TOFI)” programme in Rohtak.
- The programme will bring together farmers, companies and other private institutions to rapidly expand tree coverage outside traditional forests in the state.
- The programme will enhance carbon sequestration, support local communities and strengthen the climate resilience of agriculture, thereby supporting global climate change mitigation and adaptation goals.
2015 to 2022 likely to be 8 warmest years on record
The global mean temperature in 2022 is estimated to be 1.15 degree Celsius above the pre-industrial (1850-1900) average, likely making the eight years from 2015 the warmest on record, the World Meteorological Organisation said in a report.
- The report titled ‘WMO Provisional State of the Global Climate 2022’ released at the 27th Conference of Parties to the UNFCCC stated that the rate of sea level rise has doubled since 1993 and has risen by nearly 10 mm since January 2020 to a new record high this year.
- The past two-and-a-half years account for 10% of the overall rise in sea level, the report stated.The figures used in the provisional 2022 report are till the end of September this year. The final version will be issued next April.
BANKING & FINANCE
“Niveshak Didi” programme launched in order to promote financial literacy
India Post Payments Banks (IPPB) is conducting India’s first floating literacy camp ‘Niveshak Didi’ in Srinagar’s Dal Lake. Prime Minister himself appreciated this unique initiative and took to twitter to praise ‘Niveshak Didi’, a camp to promote financial literacy among women.
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) conducted the floating camp to promote financial literacy ‘By the women, for the women’, in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir.
- IPPB created a new legacy with the help of world’s largest postal network to extend its reach to the last mile and bridge financial inclusion gaps.
SBI logs highest-ever quarterly profit at Rs 13,265 cr in 2nd quarter
The country’s biggest bank State Bank of India (SBI) has reported its highest-ever quarterly profit of 13,265 crore rupees for the second quarter ended on the 30th of September.
- The Bank’s quarterly profit is 74 per cent higher than the 7,627 crore rupees reported in the year-ago period.
- The SBI’s total income rose 14 per cent to 88,734 crore rupees in the reported quarter. The asset quality of the bank also improved with Gross NPAs declining to 3.5 per cent this quarter. Similarly, net NPAs also dropped to 0.8 per cent.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TATA Power and the Indian Army collaborate to install EV charging stations
The Indian Army has collaborated with Tata Powers to set up 16 charging stations for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in line with their ‘Go Green Initiative’. The charging stations have been set up at various locations in Delhi Cantonment.
- The setting up of charging stations, in collaboration with the country’s largest integrated utility, was inaugurated by Lt Gen Dhiraj Seth, General Officer Commanding Delhi Area in the presence of army officials and senior executives from TATA Power and TATA Motors.
- In October this year, the Indian Army disclosed its plan to induct Electric Vehicles in Ladakh. According to Army officials, approximately 25% of light vehicles, 38% of buses and 48% of motorcycles of select units were to be changed to EVs with adequate charging infrastructure.
Indian men’s squash team won gold medal in Asian Squash Team Championships
In Squash, Indian men’s team clinched their first-ever gold at the Asian Squash Team Championships. They defeated Kuwait in the final in straight sets in Cheongju, South Korea. It was Saurav Ghoshal and Ramit Tandon who won their games in the final to dole out a 2-0 defeat to Kuwait.
- The first game was dominantly won by Ramit 3-0 against Ali Aramezi 11-5, 11-7, 11-4 and the second game saw Saurav win 3-0 as well against Ammar Altamimi 11-9, 11-2, 11-3.
- Abhay Singh of India and Falah Mohammad didn’t have to break into a sweat as the championships was won.
KV Kamath appointed as Independent Director of RIL
Reliance Industries appointed appointed K V Kamath as Independent Director of the company for a period of five years.
- KV Kamath has also been appointed as an Independent Director and non-executive Chairman for Reliance Strategic Investment Limited (RSIL).
- RSIL will be renamed as Jio Financial Services Limited (“JFSL”) and the scheme of demerger approved by the board of directors for demerger of the financial services business.
KSRTC’s Grama Vandi’, win national recognition
The KSRTC’s “Grama Vandi,” which was introduced in collaboration with State-level local self-government organisations, also took home the Award of Excellence in Urban Transport.
- The Kerala Road Transport Corporation’s (KSRTC) city circular service took home the national “Commentation Award in Urban Transport” for “City with the Best Public Transport System.”
- Governor Arif Mohammad Khan give the prizes alongside Union Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs Kaushal Kishore at the Urban Mobility India (UMI) conference in Kochi.
M T Vasudevan Nair awarded with Kerala Jyothi award
Malayalam literary stalwart and Jnanpith laureate MT Vasudevan Nair has been selected for the first ‘Kerala Jyothi’ award instituted by the state government on the lines of the Padma awards to honour individuals who have made priceless contributions to society. Kerala Jyothi is the highest civilian award instituted by the state government.
- Further, six persons – amphibian biologist Sathyabhama Das Biju (Dr SD Biju), magician Gopinath Muthukad, sculptor Kanayi Kunhiraman, industrialist Kochouseph Chittilappilly, scientist MP Parameswaran and singer Vijayalakshmi – have been selected for the first ‘Kerala Sree’ awards, said the statement. ‘Kerala Sree’ is the third highest civilian award.
Art critic Vijayakumar Menon passes away
Noted art critic Professor Vijayakumar Menon passed away at the age of 76. He was also popular as a scholar of fine arts, writer, and orator.
- He was an inmate of Jnana Ashram in Vyasagiri and Vyasa Tapovanam for the past 33 years.